Good Training School - North London/Essex

Hi,

Anyone completed any training near or in North London/Essex area. I have seen Wallace, but I’m sure there are better (cheaper) firms out there. Good rep firms?

I passed with flair training g based In Chelmsford.

Quite cheap at the time of I remember correctly

Roadtrain at Thurrock. They have their own test centre. Don’t judge only on price - that can be a huge mistake. Quality counts.

If you want to think outside the box a little, plenty of folks from Essex and London take residential courses with me. Much quieter area, up to date fleet, own test centre, no extra charge for residential etc etc etc.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

But also don’t presume that because something costs more it’s the best option.

Everytime I’ve seen a Wallace vehicle in the Croydon area, it’s always parked up. At one point I drove past it near a depot I was working out of, emptied my truck of empties, repacked it with work and drove past the same vehicle, hadn’t moved and still just chatting - I wouldn’t pick Wallace as I’d be unsure how much driving you get vs time pulled over with the instructor chatting - They seem massively overpriced too

I’m from Sussex, way south of London and I did a course with PSTT with the residential option - I would highly recommend that option

Peter Smythe:
Roadtrain at Thurrock. They have their own test centre. Don’t judge only on price - that can be a huge mistake. Quality counts.

If you want to think outside the box a little, plenty of folks from Essex and London take residential courses with me. Much quieter area, up to date fleet, own test centre, no extra charge for residential etc etc etc.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete, Larger firms always to me at least, mean larger overheads. A small based company holds it’s own, may not have a modern training fleet, but you are assured of more time on the road at 1:1 or 1:2 instruction.

jonnyboat:
But also don’t presume that because something costs more it’s the best option.

I hear that! Cheers

Thanks Pete, Larger firms always to me at least, mean larger overheads. A small based company holds it’s own, may not have a modern training fleet, but you are assured of more time on the road at 1:1 or 1:2 instruction.

You make an interesting point. Yes, larger firms obviously have larger overheads. But we also enjoy economy of scale which goes a long way to compensating the perceived overheads.

You say a small based company holds it’s own. Really? I wonder what facts that is based upon. In reality, if we have a trainer go sick we have spare capacity (I am hardly ever booked out myself so there’s one to start with!). In the event of vehicle breakdown, the fleet is large enough that we can sort ourselves out with minimal disruption to training schedules instantly. And it really isn’t a problem to go and hire a truck if that’s what it takes. You have stated that the smaller outfits “may not have a modern training fleet”. That’s normally true. But anyone can see it’s easier to drive a new truck than one that’s been to the moon and back. And, although some trainers will maintain their vehicles very well, it’s a sad fact that they are the exception rather than the rule. Our trucks are continually checked and serviced in our own onsite workshop.

I take a small objection to

you are assured of more time on the road at 1:1 or 1:2 instruction.

Once again, on what facts is this statement based. Our candidates receive confirmation of all their training times upon booking. Our trainers work to this so I don’t really understand the comment. The small trainer may well have issues that means he has to alter timings and so on rather more frequently than a larger, well run organisation.

Then add into the mix that small trainers will not own their own test centre and almost certainly will not own their own reversing practice area.

It is also doubtful that the instructor will be NRI or NVDIR registered. Fine, take a chance.

I’m sorry, but I really don’t understand the comments.

But thankfully this is still a free country and folks are free to spend their hard earned wherever they will.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Only advice I can give is do the lessons/tests in full sizes.vehickes , not 7.5 that have been updated to 12 tonnes and wagon and drag.

Proper 18t and proper artic.

Sod that,

Get through the test in the easiest vehicle possible. I passed in a 12tonne truck, why make life harder than it needs to be

With us you have the option of 12 tonne or 18. Also the choice of w+d or full size artic. Cant do much more than that for you!

Peter Smythe:
With us you have the option of 12 tonne or 18. Also the choice of w+d or full size artic. Cant do much more than that for you!

Wear a pink tutu [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter Smythe:

You make an interesting point. Yes, larger firms obviously have larger overheads. But we also enjoy economy of scale which goes a long way to compensating the perceived overheads.

You say a small based company holds it’s own. Really? I wonder what facts that is based upon. In reality, if we have a trainer go sick we have spare capacity (I am hardly ever booked out myself so there’s one to start with!). In the event of vehicle breakdown, the fleet is large enough that we can sort ourselves out with minimal disruption to training schedules instantly. And it really isn’t a problem to go and hire a truck if that’s what it takes. You have stated that the smaller outfits “may not have a modern training fleet”. That’s normally true. But anyone can see it’s easier to drive a new truck than one that’s been to the moon and back. And, although some trainers will maintain their vehicles very well, it’s a sad fact that they are the exception rather than the rule. Our trucks are continually checked and serviced in our own onsite workshop.

Once again, on what facts is this statement based. Our candidates receive confirmation of all their training times upon booking. Our trainers work to this so I don’t really understand the comment. The small trainer may well have issues that means he has to alter timings and so on rather more frequently than a larger, well run organisation.

Then add into the mix that small trainers will not own their own test centre and almost certainly will not own their own reversing practice area.

It is also doubtful that the instructor will be NRI or NVDIR registered. Fine, take a chance.

I’m sorry, but I really don’t understand the comments.

But thankfully this is still a free country and folks are free to spend their hard earned wherever they will.

I passed my class 2 with Wall**es in Dartford. On one of the days we drove all the way from Dartford to Enfield (80 minutes there 95 minutes back) just to do the reverse for 20 minutes.

What an absolute waste of a 4 hour session driving on the M25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting comment. But what happened to the comparison with your more recent experience?

Peter Smythe:
Interesting comment. But what happened to the comparison with your more recent experience?

Lol. Totally different. At Pete’s the reverse area is the one used on test and a couple of hours spent on purely reversing was worth it’s weight in gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the important point is that not all trainers operate in the same manner. It’s important that candidates find a trainer that has the candidate’s best interest at it’s heart.

Thanks for the comparison, glabrate.

If you wanna pass your test go with the best. Peter Smythe, and forget the rest.

If you wanna pass your test go with the best. Peter Smythe, and forget the rest.

That’s all sorted then!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Peter Smythe:

You make an interesting point. Yes, larger firms obviously have larger overheads. But we also enjoy the economy of scale which goes a long way to compensating the perceived overheads.

Once again, on what facts is this statement based. Our candidates receive confirmation of all their training times upon booking. Our trainers work to this so I don’t really understand the comment. The small trainer may well have issues that means he has to alter timings and so on rather more frequently than a larger, well-run organisation. Then add into the mix that small trainers will not own their own test centre and almost certainly will not own their own reversing practice area.

It is also doubtful that the instructor will be NRI or NVDIR registered. Fine, take a chance. I’m sorry, but I really don’t understand the comments. But thankfully this is still a free country and folks are free to spend their hard-earned wherever they will.

Hi Pete, this was not a dig at you or your company at all so please don’t take what little i said personally, from the reviews from other members, they seem to think of you quite highly of you - I also PM’d you previously about training but you didn’t reply. Having previously been in the training industry and seen it from the other side of the fence, I know what to look out for and what to avoid. Sorry to be so cynical. :wink:

I don’t understand how I missed your pm. But apologies if that was the case. I deal with several every day so it’s possible I’ve slipped up.