Class 2 Test Fail - Round 2

With regret I have just failed my Class 2 practical, naturally I’m disappointed, I got 3 minors in total and 1 serious fault driving back to the test centre. At a roundabout for undue hesitation. This is what has upset me, I didn’t dither at any roundabouts or junctions throughout the whole test, I could understand if I already had minors for undue hesitation but to drive near on perfectly (reflected in 3 minors, one of which was from a show me question I ballsed up) I’m not even sure I did at the one he has failed me on. I do get if you have missed loads of opportunities but surely at a dangerous roundabout if you were driving for a living you would hang back until you were certain?

Lots of cars were coming round as blockers but it is a roundabout where they are renowned for doing u-turns and I was fairly certain that if I pulled out in front of one of those and caused them to break I would have been in a lose lose situation anyway.

I know that posting on here doesn’t alter the decision but it does help to vent, and also gauge other opinions. The other thing the examiner did which I wasn’t sure if they were allowed to was to tell me about 50 feet from a roundabout (where I’m already far left, because he had directed to follow the road straight ahead) then said at the next junction following the roundabout I want you to turn right, resulting in me having about 300 metres to get across 2 lanes of fast moving traffic during rush hour. Surely if that was his intention he should have advised much sooner so I took up the appropriate lane for the roundabout, thus for minimising the risk of having to carve someone up trying to change lanes.

There are other things that I’m not going to go into, but it does feel like he was trying anything and everything to make it intentionally more difficult, where I nailed everything he had asked me ■■■■■. Every tight 90 degree corner, gradient etc he took me down, normally they take you down 2 or 3 at most. I did about 6!

Sorry for the essay of course, I’m just keen to hear of other experiences… and of course an opportunity to vent with like minded individuals. The mrs is sick of me going on about it :laughing:

Sounds daft but in them situations i spoke to myself so the examiner knew what i was thinking.

Same with people flashing their lights for me to go, on the day of my class 1 test one of the main routes had a burst water main which meant Three separate temporary traffic lights on one road and plenty of opportunity to knock a sign or hit a curb.

Lots of courtesy driving on display but lots of opportunity for the examiner to “miss” someone letting you go.

You may feel an idiot saying things like

“He has flashed me to say i can go, so i am going”

“He hasnt indicated so i cant go”

But the aim is to get through the test and youll never see the examiner again so who cares what they think.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I rarely pass comment on a test as I wasn’t there so only have one side of the story. But the advice to talk to the examiner is sound and I recommend it.

But be aware that someone flashing their lights doesn’t mean you can go. It simply means “look at me. Look at the speed and position of my vehicle”. Often that will add up to “I’m letting you go” but always go through the logic first.

Better luck next time, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

2nd attempt today… delighted to say I passed with only 4 minor faults. Anyone who is in doubt about sitting a re-sit, don’t dither just get booked back in!

I did have to wait just over 2 weeks for my retest but its amazing how quick it all comes back once you’re behind the wheel.

Big thanks to the likes of Rog and other forum contributors for your advice and tips which has been invaluable before and during my training journey!

:smiley: :smiley:

A-TownDown:
2nd attempt today… delighted to say I passed with only 4 minor faults. Anyone who is in doubt about sitting a re-sit, don’t dither just get booked back in!

I did have to wait just over 2 weeks for my retest but its amazing how quick it all comes back once you’re behind the wheel.

Big thanks to the likes of Rog and other forum contributors for your advice and tips which has been invaluable before and during my training journey!

I passed on my third attempt with 14 minors ! :smiley: