Help with reduced weekly rest periods

Been driving a couple of years now but I have never fully got my head around the rules regarding weekly rests, reducing, paying back etc. It has never been an issue before as i have been working Mon - Fri only however a change of circumstances means I will probably have to give it consideration…looking for an easy explanation (If such a thing exists).
Thanks.

Every week 45 hours rest, can be reduced to 24 hours.
When reduced following week require 45 hours.
Payback has to be made within 3 weeks after the reduction - by midnight.

Example:
Reduce this week w/c 11/3/2019 next week take a 45hour rest
Payback by Sunday midnight w/c 1/4/2019

Payback can be attached to daily rest if possible.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

best way is probably an example from my past couple of weeks.

Friday and Saturday off full rest of 45+ hours then work Sunday to Thursday. Friday off reduced rest of 35 hours. Then work Saturday to Thursday. Friday and Saturday off full rest of 60.5 hours. so 60.5 - 45 = 15.5 hours compenstation for the previous weeks reduced rest of 35 hours.

Thanks - It’s becoming clearer cheers.

If for example I reduce to 40 hours the options are…

A. I can pay back the five hours by having 50 hours off either the first weekend after the reduction or the second weekend after the reduction or by midnight Sunday the third weekend after the reduction.

B. I can pay back midweek by having 16 hours off.

C. I can payback midweek by having 14 hours off - if I have a spare reduced shift available.

Correct?

Hopefully that’s right, if so the next question is… can I reduce twice on consecutive weekends and payback later for example…

Weekend reduced to 40 hours.
Following weekend also reduced to 40 hours.
The next weekend 45 hours.
The weekend after this, the third after the reduction, 45 hours + 10 hours to payback, so 55 hours before Sunday midnight.

Is that permitted?

Also instead of paying back 10 hours at the end of the third week could I payback 5 hours to compensate for the first reduction and the following week payback 5 hours to compensate for the second reduction?

A, B, C, are correct next.
You cannot reduce your weekly rest two weeks consecutively.
Payback can be done the way you mentioned, if more than one compensation needs to be paid they can be paid back together or separately.

1. Weekend +45 hours.
  2. Weekend reduced to 40 hours.
  3. Weekend 45 hours.
  4. Weekend reduced to 40 hours.
  5. Weekend 45 hours +5 hours to payback first reduced (2).
  6. Weekend 45 hours.
  7. Weekend 45 hours +5 hours to payback second reduced (4).

Is this okay?

I have read a thread on here from 2017 regarding weekly rest periods in which an example of a shift pattern with two consecutive reduced weekly rest periods is given, a reply by ‘Tachograph’ states that the shift pattern shown is legal but i fail to understand how (I am not doubting he is correct), I think I have now grasped the basics but to have a full understanding I would like to learn how this is possible. He states that his reply assumes that the weekly rest periods extend past midnight on Sunday.

NB: I would of included a link to the thread but I don’t know how to do this using a smart phone - sorry.

Thanks

123smith:

1. Weekend +45 hours.
  3. Weekend 45 hours.
  6. Weekend 45 hours.

Is this okay?

Yes that looks legal.

123smith:
I have read a thread on here from 2017 regarding weekly rest periods in which an example of a shift pattern with two consecutive reduced weekly rest periods is given, a reply by ‘Tachograph’ states that the shift pattern shown is legal but i fail to understand how (I am not doubting he is correct), I think I have now grasped the basics but to have a full understanding I would like to learn how this is possible. He states that his reply assumes that the weekly rest periods extend past midnight on Sunday.

I can’t comment on the exact thread because I don’t know which one it was.

The regulations state that you must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at-least every second week.

The regulations also state that you can have back to back weekly rest periods, in other words a 90 hour rest period that crosses Sunday/Monday can be used as back to back weekly rest periods for both weeks.

Let’s say you have a 90+ hour rest period, a holiday for instance.
In week 1 you start work at 08:00 Monday, so the last 45 hours of the 90+ hour period counts as a regular weekly rest period for week 1.
At the weekend you have a reduced weekly rest period, remember you’ve already had a regular weekly rest period that counts for week 1 so the reduced weekly rest period is used only to start a new six 24 hour periods.

The next weekend you can have another reduced weekly rest period that will count for week 2.

The following weekend you have a regular weekly rest period that counts for week 3.

Now you’ve had 2 consecutive reduced weekly rest periods but from this point forward you must have a regular weekly rest period at-least every second week.

This can usually only be done once between holiday periods and my advice would always be to keep it simple and have a regular weekly rest period at-least every second week.

Sent from my mobile.

123smith:

1. Weekend +45 hours.
  3. Weekend 45 hours.
  6. Weekend 45 hours.

Is this okay?

NB: I would of included a link to the thread but I don’t know how to do this using a smart phone - sorry.

Thanks

Looks good. Just remember is has to be paid by midnight Sunday.

Thank you :smiley: