Tramping

Looking at various roles driving, days nights or tramping. Tramping is probably the best paying role, why do some do it? To get away from the nag in house? Freedom or enjoy the camping out! On my week off I’ll be looking for work driving & with the nagging I’m getting it will be tramping [emoji23][emoji23]. I’m in Central Scotland so any hauliers on here [emoji6]

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Virgin c+e:
Looking at various roles driving, days nights or tramping. Tramping is probably the best paying role, why do some do it? To get away from the nag in house? Freedom or enjoy the camping out! On my week off I’ll be looking for work driving & with the nagging I’m getting it will be tramping [emoji23][emoji23]. I’m in Central Scotland so any hauliers on here [emoji6]

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

stopped reading from there

laughable.
on a personal note im addicted to tin box survivalist camping,ginsters pies and jaffa cakes.

1 I don’t camp in my lorry thanks might live in it

2 I don’t have a nag at home

Tramping might look like the best paid but look at the pay then what you get for night out not all together as when you on holiday you won’t get your night out allowance as this is for sleeping away from home anything unto around £30 per night but you look after the lorry & trailer might be a full trailer which you might be expected to keep safe & not all bosses pay parking so you have to find somewhere

animal:
1 I don’t camp in my lorry thanks might live in it

2 I don’t have a nag at home

Tramping might look like the best paid but look at the pay then what you get for night out not all together as when you on holiday you won’t get your night out allowance as this is for sleeping away from home anything unto around £30 per night but you look after the lorry & trailer might be a full trailer which you might be expected to keep safe & not all bosses pay parking so you have to find somewhere

O dear, another dayman plobbers reply.

I quite like sleeping in my tin box, can’t beat having a wipe down with baby wipes for that O so clean feeling, and as for a ginsters with a pot noodle for main course,and Jaffa cakes for pudding, it’s like having a Michelin* chef cooking your grub …

For me doing nights out is currently more beneficial, at least in the current job because:

1. Some long runs on days in the past-bad traffic and accidents meant late finishes. (when tramping and motorway is shut etc just park up and start early) Annoying for (and unfair on), missus at home wondering what time I’m back. When on tramping she can meet mates for coffee, food etc.
  2. 20 miles each way to/from work
  3. saves on fuel, car also not ■■■■■■ every time it gets service or mot.
  4. out the way of the office, no messing around on local work. Get a run and get left alone to do it.
  5. only worked in 2 towns in my previous job so get to see all parts of the country.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

I’ve said this before, but when it comes to tramping, it’s vital you do it for a decent firm. Tramping for a crap employer will grind you down and make you miserable. I’ve done it myself. Literally dreading Monday morning every week.

Problem is that most decent firms aren’t recruiting, as they have an abundance of experienced drivers to choose from. So you’re left with the dregs of companies with “Logistics”, “Solutions” or “Group” in their name whose coke-fuelled weekend pointy shoed teenage planners will treat you like an extension of their steering wheels.

So my advice is not to touch tramping until you’re with a firm you trust, or with one which is highly recommended by someone you just. Otherwise it will be a miserable existence.

I find that tramping crosses the line from a “job” to a “life”. Granted, you get the extra £100 per week in night out money, and maybe a few hours extra pay for working longer days, but it’s at the sacrifice of your home life. Personally, I found some aspects to be quite nice. The long runs were nice, and and it was fairly exciting to not know where you’ll be every night. Tucked up in the cab with a decent film while the wind and rain was hitting you was also a very nice feeling.

Sadly, the feeling independence and being on your own is becoming smaller and smaller, with the growth of trackers, telematics, and cameras. There is also a shortage of places to park at night.

I found finding somewhere to park to be the most stressful thing about tramping. The truck stops and services start filling up from 7pm, so it’s genuinely hard work finding somewhere to park, especially when you’re new and don’t know any decent spots.

Also, there’s the lack of access to showers and toilets. You’ll have to get used to peeing in a bottle and washing yourself with a wet wipe, when all of the truck stops are full of foreigners by 7pm, and you’re resigned to a lay-by on the A1. And then the same the night after. And the night after that. It stops being funny after a while.