Using a metal plate for roll cages

Hi folks hope you can help me out. I’ve recently started working for a dairy company where I deliver milk in cages and drive a variety of vehicles up to 18 tonnes. One I drive is a 7.5 tonner where I can’t adjust the height of the body for a loading bay.
This means I get a metal plate or a ramp kind of thing whatever you want to call it. I have to put the plate down and push the cages on but a few times I’ve done it now I’ve toppled the cages over.

Does anyone have experience with delivering milk and have any advice for using a metal plate? Thanks

I know that those milk trolleys are practically the most unstable things known to man (other than the wife). I deliver for Sainsburys and deliver Wisemans milk to our locals. We can adjust our suspension, be on the smoothest surface and have little to obstruct a nice smooth delivery. But sometimes those trolleys just can’t take anymore and tip over for no reason.

I’d hazard a guess that there isn’t one Wisemans driver that hasn’t had one or more of the little blighters go over at some point in their career

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I used to work in a store and saw several go over across the years.

Ask the other drivers what they use or how they do it. Make sure you only take 1 at a time across the lip. It takes longer but quicker and easier than picking one up

I’m guessing the wheels hit the lip of the dock leveller and then the dolly falls forward ? If so try kicking or pushing with your foot on the bottom of the dolly whilst pulling the weight back on the top a split second before the wheels touch the metal lip that hopefully will keep them rolling and not toppling over.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good to see I’m not the only one that has tipped cages over :smiley: that pushing it down with my foot just before it reaches the lip is a good idea.

Are they still called “tets?” I always pushed them with the fixed wheels forward and my boot on the base if you come to the lip on a plate.If you push them loose wheels forward it’s easy to come unstuck.The gates may spring open and tip milk bottles all over the place.

time for someone to be mentioning the old health and insanity aspect?

Talk about health and insanity… imagine the H&S man now…

To get milk cages off a 7 tonner without a tail lift involved building a ramp with two blue pallets. Bear in mind this was about 1994.
I still swear to this day I had full control of a milk roll cage while i was running it down the pallet ramp while I was delivering to Healds 7-10 store in Glossop, complete with 60 2 litre jugs. I was talking to Brian from Allied Bakeries and the whole lot just shattered…