Sat Nav?

Hi all,
I’ve got my class 2 practical soon and I’m starting to think about what kit I’ll need for a new career so that I can hit the ground running.I’ve made a list and included things like P.P.E etc but which Sat Nav is the best to get? I eventually plan on class 1, starting off with some agency work alongside my current job. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i got a garmin dezl cam its a beast with a price tag to show but never got me wrong yet :wink:

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tomtom professional 6250 or the Aguri trucksat nav 720 this model also has a built in dash cam aswell comes with lifetime maps ,safety camera updates same as the Tom Tom one I mentioned

As above, have the DezlCam from Garmin.

Never put a foot wrong with it, although a good map book is never far from hand either!

Whatever you get, make sure it’s got a dash cam for those inevitable moments.

Edit: MAKE SURE ITS FOR HGV USE TOO!!!

Use an X goody. About £60 from eBay.
Been ok so far.
Just don’t follow sat nav’s blindly. Read the road signs.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

DF40:
Been ok so far.

They are ok.Had one for years myself.But they are ■■■■ when the sun hits them.Even with that shade thing on.Got a Garmin now.And even without a shade on it.The sun does’nt effect it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

daftvader:

DF40:
Been ok so far.

They are ok.Had one for years myself.But they are [zb] when the sun hits them.Even with that shade thing on.Got a Garmin now.And even without a shade on it.The sun does’nt effect it.

Don’t get a lot of sunshine up here. So not been an issue…[emoji6]

Whatever you buy, don’t get a Garmin Drive 51LMT-S 5 (admittedly this is a car sat nav). I got one just before Xmas, I was only doing 7.5T work so I didn’t feel the need to shell out for a proper truck satnav at that moment, and it was heavily discounted (£85 compared to RRP of about £120) and I needed one in a hurry.

In case anyone from Garmin is reading: this product has been without a doubt the worst purchase of any kind that I have made in the last ten years and after this experience I will never purchase another Garmin product ever again :imp:

It can’t even find a house (an old one, not a new build) when you’re parked directly outside it - and yes it had been fully updated via the net, I persevered with it for ten days, though I ended up using Google maps most of the time, then the Garmin went back in it’s box, it’ll be going on ebay for half-price very soon.

Tomtom 6200 trucker with a 65g sdcard does the job for me keeps me away from bridges [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] link below bear in mind i got it as a gift for passing me Catagory C.
off the other half [emoji1]

halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stor … reId=11101

Zac_A:
Whatever you buy, don’t get a Garmin Drive 51LMT-S 5 (admittedly this is a car sat nav). I got one just before Xmas, I was only doing 7.5T work so I didn’t feel the need to shell out for a proper truck satnav at that moment, and it was heavily discounted (£85 compared to RRP of about £120) and I needed one in a hurry.

In case anyone from Garmin is reading: this product has been without a doubt the worst purchase of any kind that I have made in the last ten years and after this experience I will never purchase another Garmin product ever again :imp:

It can’t even find a house (an old one, not a new build) when you’re parked directly outside it - and yes it had been fully updated via the net, I persevered with it for ten days, though I ended up using Google maps most of the time, then the Garmin went back in it’s box, it’ll be going on ebay for half-price very soon.

I suggest you try using OSM maps - loaded on the SDcard. I did a post on how to do this a while back. OSM are far better than Garmin or TomTom.

Use a phone and save yourself a ton of money.
Copilot is a cheap app. Google maps is free.

I drive everything, from 7.5t to 44t. I also go all over the place including London and I’ve yet to have any issues.

That being said if your the type of guy that is 100% reliant on a sat nav then this may not be applicable.

adam277:

I drive everything, from 7.5t to 44t. I also go all over the place including London and I’ve yet to have any issues.

That being said if your the type of guy that is 100% reliant on a sat nav then this may not be applicable.

And hit a bridge buy a truck sat nav once and youll keep your job, google doesnt know what height or lenght or width your truck is.

Oh dear.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

brianchalkyshaw:

adam277:

And hit a bridge buy a truck sat nav once and youll keep your job, google doesnt know what height or lenght or width your truck is.

:laughing:
Your right Google doesnt but thankfully I do. :laughing:
I’ve yet to hit a bridge BTW.

Scary to think that the only thing stopping people hitting bridges is a hgv sat nav.

adam277:

brianchalkyshaw:

adam277:

[emoji38]
Your right Google doesnt but thankfully I do. [emoji38]

For someone whos starting out its not a clever move, one less thing to worry about and one less stressor in my view. A tom tom trucker will pay for itself in 3 days of work if your on anyway decent money. I think if your planning on being in this game for while you need the right tools one of them being a truck sat nav (especially for Europe work) Google wont work abroad.

Google is good as a backup for street views when Im trying to find a place to park but thats all I use it for.

browny2004:
Hi all,
I’ve got my class 2 practical soon and I’m starting to think about what kit I’ll need for a new career so that I can hit the ground running.I’ve made a list and included things like P.P.E etc but which Sat Nav is the best to get? I eventually plan on class 1, starting off with some agency work alongside my current job. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XGODY 886, ebay around 40, and igo primo + navteq truck maps

adam277:

brianchalkyshaw:

adam277:
[emoji38]

brianchalkyshaw:
For someone whos starting out its not a clever move, one less thing to worry about and one less stressor in my view. A tom tom trucker will pay for itself in 3 days of work if your on anyway decent money. I think if your planning on being in this game for while you need the right tools one of them being a truck sat nav (especially for Europe work) Google wont work abroad.

Google is good as a backup for street views when Im trying to find a place to park but thats all I use it for.

Don’t know how i managed to get all over europe pre satnav without hitting anything :laughing:

jessejazza:
I suggest you try using OSM maps - loaded on the SDcard. I did a post on how to do this a while back. OSM are far better than Garmin or TomTom.

Cheers for that, I’ll give it a whirl. (I’m also a Linux user, I swapped about 2010 and have never looked back)

adam277:

brianchalkyshaw:

adam277:
[emoji38]

brianchalkyshaw:

cypry0:
Don’t know how i managed to get all over europe pre satnav without hitting anything :laughing:

Its easy for lads who have been born into it but for a new driver its a must in my eyes i use it everyday set up me whole route and dont need to worry about it till im back at the yard

adam277:

brianchalkyshaw:

adam277:
[emoji38]

Signs would be good but many roads dont have them, ive gone under 3.68M bridges in a 3.65M where theres no signage either on the bridge or on the road dont ask how i found out asked around to locals and they said there used to be a sign but it was taken down. From then on I used the TomTom it ellimates driver error so you dont fall into a situation like that where its squeaky bum time.