Reversing Tips at Night

Need tips for reversing at night… Obviously I have the get out and look, windows open, mirrors clean etc.
Trying hard but struggling like crazy.
Any tips will much appreciated…

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I’m a nights supermarket driver so do a lot of night time reversing. I only passed class 1 12 months ago so I’m still a novice but practice will make perfect. Firstly try and get into a position where you’re not needing to use too much steer. 2nd, try and avoid blind side unless absolutely necessary.

As you’ve mentioned, get out and look, open windows, clean mirrors etc.

Something someone told me was to keep an eye on the wheels, firstly on the trailer when you’ve got a bend in the trailer, then when you’re approaching the last bit, look at the rear wheels of the tractor unit. This does help to you know when you need to straighten up. I’m still practicing but I have improved loads since I passed my test [emoji106]

Good luck

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:
I’m a nights supermarket driver so do a lot of night time reversing. I only passed class 1 12 months ago so I’m still a novice but practice will make perfect. Firstly try and get into a position where you’re not needing to use too much steer. 2nd, try and avoid blind side unless absolutely necessary.

As you’ve mentioned, get out and look, open windows, clean mirrors etc.

Something someone told me was to keep an eye on the wheels, firstly on the trailer when you’ve got a bend in the trailer, then when you’re approaching the last bit, look at the rear wheels of the tractor unit. This does help to you know when you need to straighten up. I’m still practicing but I have improved loads since I passed my test [emoji106]

Good luck

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thanks… I’ll give that a go as it’s something I’ve not tried.

:slight_smile:
The more light you can show to the rear the better.

Switch on your rear foglights and ride the brake pedal gently for your stoplights.
Of course there’s also your 4 way flashers(hazard lights) and the reversing lights as well.

Any firm doing regular night time deliveries should have extra reversing lights anyway, the supermarket I work for has the trailers fitted with two extra reversing lights in addition to the two in the light cluster and also an LED light angled down halfway along each side. :smiley:
The additional cost was found to be cheaper than the bump damage to the loading bay walls and trailer bodywork. :wink:

I wish every company thought like that! Saw one company who’d installed downlights down the sides of the trailers which reduced accidents.

As for how to do it - advice above is excellent and just get out anytime you’re not sure. Plus ignore the people who complain about you doing that as they usually have the bumps. You ain’t got xray vision and neither have they.

Any yard where you’re doing deliveries should be well lit. Its their responsibility to ensure your and other people there safety and thus they should they should have it as part of their safe practices of work.

For example the shed I’m currently in takes 10 trucks and has over 30 downlights. Its like daylight in here. Might look like overkill but no one injured.

If its one of your yards, just remind them that the fines for ignoring that are unlimited, usually £100K to millions if someone seriously injured due to their negligence.

I’m a night trunker aswell and reversing is defo harder in the dark only passed my test end of Jan and 2nd week in the job and really struggling aswell.

People keep saying it will come but not sure about that lol.

I do a lot of reversing in the dark onto bays, one good tip is using the reflection on the lights on the floor gives you a really good idea of how far the trailer is from walls etc.
Personally i don’t find it easier or harder for either day or night, it’s just practice :smiley:

Just past my test in Feb, Am struggling on reversing, Just been in the job 2 weeks, On my own on Monday

starsounds123:
Just past my test in Feb, Am struggling on reversing, Just been in the job 2 weeks, On my own on Monday

Congratulations on passing.
What sort of work you doing, is it reversing onto bays etc

All the above is excellent advice.

Dunno if this still helps, but when I was coupling to a converter dolly in front of the 2nd trailer (double trailer a-train set up) to avoid pulling your guts out doing it, it helped if you were InChe perfect. This was often in crappy unlit areas without guiding lines, usually due to snow. I’m not bragging because at first I was crappy at it and the whole job took way longer than it should have.
Therefore what I did that helped me were either lay my torch on the ground which projected a straight line towards the cab or used my pry bar, a long crow bar thing,laid on the ground . Just remember not to leave them behind that’s all :sunglasses:

It will come, it took me quite a while but eventually I was able to hitch up to the back trailer with the dolly hitched to the lead trailer, again not a super trucker, someone told a couple of cheats in order to do so. The key thing, which is the hardest part of this exercise, is not to get stressed

Good luck

Spotlessly clean windows and mirrors, if you can’t see clearly you’ve already lost half the battle.

And set those mirrors up properly, half the lorries you get into the bloody mirrors are all over the shop, often showing an excellent view of the top of the trailer or the cab doors, no bleeding use at all might as well sling the sodding things in the bin.

pbc453:
Need tips for reversing at night… Obviously I have the get out and look, windows open, mirrors clean etc.
Trying hard but struggling like crazy.
Any tips will much appreciated…

Sometimes I used the “feel method” or the listening for sound of “scrape n bump” method,
Each their own ways, was never my trailer, and boss did supply small tin of touch up paint. :grimacing: