Is it worth upgrading to class 1?

I’ve had my class 2 license for several months now. And wondering whether it’s worth the upgrade to class 1? I enjoy more the driving side of the job doing the class 2 work but find I’m only doing mainly local work with multi drop pallet network. So driving is limited as not going out that far and literally just circling round a nearby town or city.
Would class 1 work get me driving more? And is it worth it from a money perspective? Already been on £10-12 on the class 2 work. Is there more work available to class 1? As I’ve experienced the after Christmas slump on the class 2 side.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Im in the exact same position a max of 30km a day, and I walk 10km hand balling bags between 20kgs to 50kgs each, employed as a driver but do very little driving it seems. Never mind Im putting it down as experience.

Have applied for my CE permit and am awaiting for a driving school to setup a package deal.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

brianchalkyshaw:
Im in the exact same position a max of 30km a day, and I walk 10km hand balling bags between 20kgs to 50kgs each, employed as a driver but do very little driving it seems. Never mind Im putting it down as experience.

Have applied for my CE permit and am awaiting for a driving school to setup a package deal.

It’s not good doing more manual work than driving. Most of us got into this to be driving around seeing different parts of the UK. Yet just end up doing everything locally an not doing much driving at all.
My average drive time in a 10 hour shift is less than 4.

Its manual labour work and should be advertised as that, not a driving job. Ive me next couple of months planned out to get the Class1 before end of the year regardless if im on the same money. Its the hand balling stuff onto a truck with no tail lift is a pain in the hole.

Money may not be any better but you are likely to drive further if that’s important to you. You will also likely do less “labour”. There are exceptions to this.

I did my class 1 both because of the limited class 2 opportunities in my area and also whilst now I could do the work in 10/20 years time I probably won’t be able to so wanted the option of a trunking job.

kcrussell25:
Money may not be any better but you are likely to drive further if that’s important to you. You will also likely do less “labour”. There are exceptions to this.

I did my class 1 both because of the limited class 2 opportunities in my area and also whilst now I could do the work in 10/20 years time I probably won’t be able to so wanted the option of a trunking job.

Less labour more driving sounds good to me. Would you say there are more opportunities for class 1 rather than class 2?

Jmarks1227:

kcrussell25:

Less labour more driving sounds good to me. Would you say there are more opportunities for class 1 rather than class 2?

In my area yes but that probably varies by area. You can still drive class 2 even after you pass while looking :smiley:

My description, for many years, has been “more money for less work on Class 1”. However, Class 2 money has been creeping up and slowing closing the gap. At some point, though, Class 1 money will inevitably increase and the statement will then be accurate again.

Generally speaking, the work on Class 1 remains easier. Though there are exceptions to every rule of course.

awaiting for a driving school to setup a package deal.

For crying out loud!!! Take a look at the Darren Shaw Offer at the top of the threads. Beat it if you can.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete im Irish [emoji23][emoji23] cant get over to the UK and get trained, theres a few schools over this side the pond that will under cut the other if you play things right.

What you’ve got to consider is as you get older handballing & manual labour becomes harder on the body.
I know I’m going to get some saying they 60+ and still doing it…
But keep that work for those in their 20’s & early 30’s

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

DF40:
What you’ve got to consider is as you get older handballing & manual labour becomes harder on the body.

Im 25 at the min and its starting to disrupt me sleep, the pain in me shoulders and back its not enough to stop me from working but i do be tossing and turning in sleep because of it. Anyone whos done manual labour or handballing work know by 2o clock your technique youve signed off on and practice goes out the window lift something 50times and your garenteed to be sloppy when it comes to technique, so I want to get out before Im forced out with an injury.

The other factor is the potential for injuries and time off and all the hassles that brings with your employer: my last full time Class 2 job didn’t involve much manual work at all, just pulling a sheet over the 40 yard container and manhandling the door when tipping. A few times I’ve had bits of injuries, like an inflamed knee from too much running, I had a severe and painful limp but I could still manage to do my job without needing time off. But if I’d been handballing heavy objects I would have had to be off on the sick, on mandatory sick pay, getting grief from the gaffer…

brianchalkyshaw:

DF40:

Im 25 at the min and its starting to disrupt me sleep, the pain in me shoulders and back its not enough to stop me from working but i do be tossing and turning in sleep because of it. Anyone whos done manual labour or handballing work know by 2o clock your technique youve signed off on and practice goes out the window lift something 50times and your garenteed to be sloppy when it comes to technique, so I want to get out before Im forced out with an injury.

That kinda answers your own question…should you go for class 1?

Life isn’t hard : people make it hard.

I started driving class 1 couple weeks ago and already learnt there’s a few guys gave up with class 1 as they can earn same or more driving class 2 with less stress etc of driving class 1.

I can see why a no I’m new to class 1 but it’s alot of responsibility driving such a large vehicle with or without experience for the same or less money.

Just my 2p worth :smiley:

Jamie wri:
I started driving class 1 couple weeks ago and already learnt there’s a few guys gave up with class 1 as they can earn same or more driving class 2 with less stress etc of driving class 1.

I can see why a no I’m new to class 1 but it’s alot of responsibility driving such a large vehicle with or without experience for the same or less money.

Thats what buzzing around my head do i really want that responsibility ,what I do want is the steriotypical Irish lorry driver job from Dublin to Europe through the UK long haul stuff none of this poxy tight yards you wouldnt swing a cat in let alone a lorry. Im a bit of a dreamer

Jamie wri:

Hours can often be more social (comparatively) and not usually nights out. Class 2 is often more town driving where class 1 is more motorways. No the money isn’t always much better but given the op is already struggling with injuries it’s not a job for older guys

I was lucky enough to get a job with a big Scottish firm night trunking and love it like you said a few hours driving etc and swap a trailer.

Done a night store delivering that was a eye opener middle of the town one way systems loading unloading fridge unit taking away cages of cardboard etc. am the same as you long distance is what I want but will do what I need to so I gain experience.

Am super happy I choose class 1 and grateful and to get a company that would give me a chance but gotta do the time to get the job you want.

Jamie wri:
I was lucky enough to get a job with a big Scottish firm night trunking and love it like you said a few hours driving etc and swap a trailer.

Done a night store delivering that was a eye opener middle of the town one way systems loading unloading fridge unit taking away cages of cardboard etc. am the same as you long distance is what I want but will do what I need to so I gain experience.

Am super happy I choose class 1 and grateful and to get a company that would give me a chance but gotta do the time to get the job you want.

I was told by a driver in his 60s you can get anyone to drive a truck but to find a truck driver is a rare thing, so if you like driving a truck youll put in the time doing dog work, so when you have a handy number youll enjoy it more. I took onboard and said Ill eventually get the nice number doing long haul, time is on my side, Especially when the average of the industry over here is 48-50.

i got my first full time job on class 2 tippers and loving it. doing roughly 400km a day. all i do i drive to the depo get loaded, drive to wherever open back door and tip job done back to depo :wink:

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah I’m nearly 40 and defo looking to do the longer distance stuff but need to get a year or so experience under my belt before I can go demanding :smiley:

The local stuff ain’t for me like u said mucking about in yards you can’t swing a cat the reversing is hard enough but that’s another story :stuck_out_tongue: