Effect of HGV license has on car insurance?

Car renewal has dropped through the letterbox. I never told them about Class 2 being added to my license and never told them about my change in occupation.

Either way I guess I’ll tell them the changes before renewal, however can I expect a positive or negative effect…or nothing at all?

manicpb:
Car renewal has dropped through the letterbox. I never told them about Class 2 being added to my license and never told them about my change in occupation.

Either way I guess I’ll tell them the changes before renewal, however can I expect a positive or negative effect…or nothing at all?

If it matters I was a forklift driver before!?!

manicpb:

I’m guessing it should help a bit, try Cornmarket insurance they give discounts to hgv drivers.

I use Hastings and its had no effect on my insurance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Some occupations have a negative effect on your insurance premiums (try telling them you are a pub licensee or an entertainer/musician…), some have a positive effect. I’d expect being an HGV driver to be neutral.

I wouldn’t expect simply having HGV groups on your licence to have any effect at all.

Try this site, it shows the percentage increase or decreases. They modified it so it doesn’t show the percentage changed anymore.It will show youthe difference between your current job and a new vocation in driving.

I won’t mention what I do for a living on this forum in case I’m virtually stoned to death, but I pay £30 a year more than a HGV driver?!? (No, I’m not VOSA! I have more powers than those guys… :wink:).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/#sectors

Roymondo:
Some occupations have a negative effect on your insurance premiums (try telling them you are a pub licensee or an entertainer/musician…), some have a positive effect. I’d expect being an HGV driver to be neutral.

I wouldn’t expect simply having HGV groups on your licence to have any effect at all.

Entertainer/Musician! Yep, I tried to go completely legit back in the 80s. Never again! The quotes doubled, at least.

I just sorted the insurance out for the kids and the 20 year old was straightforward and reasonably inexpensive, however the 23 year old needs business cover as well. Whilst doing some comparisons it flashed up a warning that using different scenarios to get the best price could invalidate any future cover. I think it meant saying they had been driving longer or used a locked garage.

I have read about the job titles costing more or less money, a warehouse keeper was a lower risk than a dock worker etc, my missus is a community nurse but if we put hospital nurse it’s better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I updated my occupation and got a £140 back off my insurance due to change in my profession. So I guess some do offer discounts and some are neutral bit it shouldn’t have a negative effect though! After all insurers said that hgv drivers were considered the safest on UK roads!

Caerleon:
Try this site, it shows the percentage increase or decreases. They modified it so it doesn’t show the percentage changed anymore.It will show youthe difference between your current job and a new vocation in driving.

I won’t mention what I do for a living on this forum in case I’m virtually stoned to death, but I pay £30 a year more than a HGV driver?!? (No, I’m not VOSA! I have more powers than those guys… :wink:).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/#sectors

Go on give us a laugh …

As mentioned above,Cornmarket(formerly Adelaide insurance) used to give a discount for LGV licence holders.

When I changed occupation to HGV driver mine went up by 50 quid from memory with Axa, and changing to LV they said it was still more expensive than some occupations. Best one seems to be “sit on your arse and scam tax payers”.

Also doesn’t help if you gave an accident in the truck, which is more likely than many jobs, it can go up again.

Gidders:
As mentioned above,Cornmarket(formerly Adelaide insurance) used to give a discount for LGV licence holders.

Still do. Got a text a day ago saying it’s 0% APR for hgv drivers as well.

They did have a thing where they garanteed to beat any quote. But couldn’t match it when I got a new car. Thinking about a motorbike and will give them a try then.

Jimmy McNulty:

Caerleon:
Go on give us a laugh …

Nah

For the record, changing occupation from Fork Lift Driver to HGV Driver on the comparison sites took off around £20 on my quotes.

Pretty much decided on who I’ll be going with, just need to phone up my current insurer to see if they’ll match it (or when they don’t, as it’s £200 cheaper, cancel my renewal)!

I finished with Cornmarket (the supposed friend of HGVers) this year, they couldn’t get anywhere near the quote from another insurer (no not the cheap for a reason mob at the bottom feeder end of the comparison sites), but in all honesty it was such a palarva with them having to play all the recorded message small print ■■■■■■■■ you are compelled to listen to i’d lost the will to live after a bloody hour’s fruitless call, i doubt if i’ll return to them, pity, was with them a long time.

The new lot was all done and dusted in 15 minutes flat, and no subtitles needed to understand the bod at the other end :wink:

Your insurance history age car choice and postcode are what makes the real difference, hgv driver is just a standard occupation now.

I also ceased using Cornmarket at the first renewal after my retirement.Big increase in premium demanded because i was no longer an LGV driver even though I was still me driving the same car but not going to work so fewer miles.

Used to put HGV driver as my occupation but tried bus/lorry driver and made £75 difference why I don’t know but it did,if it helps