Advice wanted - Eddie Stobart training academy?

Hi there, it’s my first time posting anywhere like this so please bear with me.

Long story short, I did C1 & CPC at a local training centre a couple of years ago in the hopes of changing direction from retail (where I am now) to LGV driving. Since then I’ve been banging my head against a brick wall trying to get any work whatsoever as a C1 driver - tried all the local agencies, companies like DHL etc. It always seems to come down to, “can’t get the job without experience, can’t get experience without a job”. And have genuinely been asked several times, “Why do you want to change career at your stage of life?” (Apparently being over 45 means I’m over the hill…)

Recently been thinking if I just go for my C+E (which had always been my goal anyway) I might actually get somewhere. But obviously am so wary of spending any more without the guarantee of work afterwards - and after some googling found that Eddie Stobart offer a “guaranteed job” afterwards if I go train with them.

Does anyone have any experience with Eddie Stobart’s training academy? Is the “guaranteed job” genuine? Am I missing something?

Would I be much better off doing C+E locally (Tyne & Wear) - or accept I’m just “too old” and drop the whole thing?

Thanks so much for reading and would appreciate any thoughts/advice.

C1 Newcastle:
Hi there, it’s my first time posting anywhere like this so please bear with me.

Long story short, I did C1 & CPC at a local training centre a couple of years ago in the hopes of changing direction from retail (where I am now) to LGV driving. Since then I’ve been banging my head against a brick wall trying to get any work whatsoever as a C1 driver - tried all the local agencies, companies like DHL etc. It always seems to come down to, “can’t get the job without experience, can’t get experience without a job”. And have genuinely been asked several times, “Why do you want to change career at your stage of life?” (Apparently being over 45 means I’m over the hill…)

Recently been thinking if I just go for my C+E (which had always been my goal anyway) I might actually get somewhere. But obviously am so wary of spending any more without the guarantee of work afterwards - and after some googling found that Eddie Stobart offer a “guaranteed job” afterwards if I go train with them.

Does anyone have any experience with Eddie Stobart’s training academy? Is the “guaranteed job” genuine? Am I missing something?

Would I be much better off doing C+E locally (Tyne & Wear) - or accept I’m just “too old” and drop the whole thing?

Thanks so much for reading and would appreciate any thoughts/advice.

The two year thing will grind you down mate ,I had a nightmare getting any work after passing ,You have to take what ever you can to get a leg up .I did my tests at 46 .I am out of work looking now ,It is very quiet around my way .
I do not use agencies though …
P.s Eddie will want their monies worth out of you and more if you left early :laughing:

A 45 year old is a young 'un in the HGV world. Remember you only need one person to give you a start. After the first six months or so you find the doors are easier to open.

If you have the cash or finance to do it, I would look at doing it with your own choice of trainer. That way you are not tied in to anyone.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Why did you go for LGV C1 and not C :question:
Now you have to pass LGV C in order to go for LGV CE

ROG:
Why did you go for LGV C1 and not C :question:
Now you have to pass LGV C in order to go for LGV CE

In hindsight I wish I had gone straight for C. I think the company I trained with steered me into doing C1 first - am guessing they must have had more spaces to fill (really regret it now).

Hence why determined not to make any more bad decisions…

Personally I would use my own choice of trainer so your not tied in and can do it when it suits you.

I believe the Stobarts offer is an interview not a job, however with Stobarts so long as you have a license you are basically guaranteed a job :smiley:

Hi. You are absolutely not too old! In fact, many employers will see your age as an indication of maturity (whether or not that’s actually the case haha). Stobarts will offer you an interview but no guarantee of a job.

You may well want to consider our Darren Shaw Offer. £2000 fully inclusive for C, CE and MOD 4 (if required). Accommodation extra but not expensive. All our normal services. Spaces in March.

Let me know if I can help further, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Can you pay additional £300 for the pass protection on the Darren shaw offer? And is the test done from Pete Smythes yard with reversing pad or is it complete unknown on test day?

Pass Protection not available from DST.

Reversing practice will always be at PST site. Test will be either at PST or Watnall, Nottingham. Training will be geared around the relevant test area.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I trained with Stobarts. I found the training to be excellent and the instructors very professional.

If after the training you want to work for them you are pretty much guaranteed a start. My interview consisted of one question - what shifts do you want? - as long as the depot you want has space, you’re in.

As I understand Eddie only do training at certain places not all of them so you would have to travel & stay over

The nearest Eddie place is Carlisle ( don’t think they do training )

Where have you tried for work on 7.5 t as there is some out there although can be a bit quiet due to time of year

If you went with that well know Tyne & Wear on Felling by pass they poss steered you towards the C1 due to knowing that you would need C & C+E so more money for them personally I would stay well away from them ( yes a very bad experience with them ) although there is a better 1 at Kingston Park ( TTS ) although I did travel to do mine

animal:
As I understand Eddie only do training at certain places not all of them so you would have to travel & stay over

Thats right. They have training schools at Crick and Warrington. Although I live in Northumberland I did mine at Crick because my wife was able to visit her elderly parents, who live relatively close to there, while I was driving.

I understand that Fowler Welch in Washington do an apprentice driver scheme. They may be worth a call.