Nerves?

Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask for advice on something. My name is Andy, I’m 28 and I live in the north of Scotland.

I’m someone who has always been in to cars/vehicles and fancied a go at driving the bigger vehicles/having higher categories on my licence.

A few years ago I took a job as a trainee bus driver but struggled with nerves and ended up dropping out of the training as a result. Maybe if I’d had longer I would’ve been OK but they expected us to go from never having driven a bus to near test standard within a few days.

I’m debating whether to have a go at Class 2 lorries and I was wondering if there’s any difference in terms of how they drive etc? It wasn’t so much the size of the vehicle that spooked me but that I didn’t ‘trust myself’ if that makes sense?

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on whether it’s worth having a go at class 2 or if its likely to be a non starter?

Many thanks

Hi. You will still normally only have a few days to reach the standard - unless you have a bottomless pit of cash!

I suggest you have an assessment to see how you get on and how you feel. Also maybe find a trainer who will offer short sessions over a longer period eg 2 or 4 hours a week over several weeks. That can take the pressure out but inevitably costs more as more hours will normally be required to achieve the standard.

If I can help further, don’t hesitate to ask.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Andy,

I took my Class 2 just a couple weeks ago. I was nervous before my first assessment drive, i was nervous before my first day of training, i was nervous before my exam, but everything went fine! I start my first driving job next week and i’m sure i will be nervous, but hopefully after a couple weeks worth of driving i shall be fine and relaxed. If someone said to me this time last year i would be a HGV Driver i would of laughed at them.

You say you have a interest in motors etc, so i think driving bigger lorries is something you would enjoy which is half the battle.

Book an assessment drive with a local training company. It will give you a chance to meet your instructor, have a little drive in their lorry which will help give you some confidence.

Go for it!

Hi Pete/Kev,

Thanks for the replies, appreciate the advice and its more positive than I expected, I was expecting someone to say ‘forget it mate its a non starter, go try something else’ :laughing:

I like the idea of an assessment drive with a local company, there’s quite a few HGV & bus training companies up here so should be easy enough to sort out. I don’t have a cat C provisional though so would need to organise that first. Again thanks for the advice, will give it some thought.

andy1990:
I like the idea of an assessment drive with a local company, there’s quite a few HGV & bus training companies up here so should be easy enough to sort out. I don’t have a cat C provisional though so would need to organise that first. Again thanks for the advice, will give it some thought.

The idea of a training assessment will be worthwhile

Why did nerves get better of you? Did you put too much pressure on yourself?

plus as you’ve pointed out you’ll need a provisional C so there’s a cost and time in getting that basic need out the way . Think you need that for any on road assessment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy, when you applied for your provisional C, you DID tick the box for the provisional C as well, didn’t you?

I echo Kev. I started my Cat C Monday of last week having never sat in a truck never mind travelled in one. Lots of car driving experience with some vans to but not anything larger and certainly not bus. Passed practical test last Friday with 3 minor errors.

Weather was good and traffic was light but I didn’t fluke it. Learning starts proper when I get my first driving jobs I’m sure but I just found if you plan ahead, work out approaches to junctions, roundabouts, any potential hazards, and do all the other things we should all do as a driver of vehicle you’ve got a good head start.

That, and treat all other road users as a potential idiot of course but you’ll know that already as an experienced driver.

I’m finishing my full 5 day CPC on Saturday and then when I get all cards backs in the post I’m good to go. Bring on the job hunting. That’s what gives nerves

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andy1990:
Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask for advice on something. My name is Andy, I’m 28 and I live in the north of Scotland.

I’m someone who has always been in to cars/vehicles and fancied a go at driving the bigger vehicles/having higher categories on my licence.

A few years ago I took a job as a trainee bus driver but struggled with nerves and ended up dropping out of the training as a result. Maybe if I’d had longer I would’ve been OK but they expected us to go from never having driven a bus to near test standard within a few days.

I’m debating whether to have a go at Class 2 lorries and I was wondering if there’s any difference in terms of how they drive etc? It wasn’t so much the size of the vehicle that spooked me but that I didn’t ‘trust myself’ if that makes sense?

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on whether it’s worth having a go at class 2 or if its likely to be a non starter?

Many thanks

In my experience, nerves are normal. Even for me and im a confident driver. Last August I commenced the process of getting my class 1 licence. Of course you have to do all the theories and class 2 first. I have just got my class 1 and am starting a new job in little over a week driving artic tippers. Im as nervous now as ever in anticipation of my new job, but saying that, its something I really want to do so nerves will be conquered.
If you are of a more nervous disposition, which is stopping or affecting you getting a licence then you have to ask yourself, how much do you want it?. If its something you really want to do then fine, go for it. But if that is the case I would suggest starting small. Like van deliveries for a bit, then maybe move onto 3.5t to 7.5t and see how that goes. Build up your confidence over time. If and when you go for a class 2 assessment drive, that will give you and your trainer a good indication of how much training you will need. In your case maybe doing a 5 day course with test would be appropriate so as to build up your confidence.
With your bus training youd have been put under a lot of pressure to get the pass as soon as possible. As your not making money for the company while your training. So doing class 2 in your own time and pace is the ideal scenario.

Good luck, hope we have helped. :smiley:

I’d certainly recommend a 5 day course. A guy at my school did 4 days and only just scraped through his first test. Was on 14 minors on his test. I did 5 days and got 3 minors. I learnt a lot on my 4th day especially reversing which I was having trouble with a little, Granted my test was my test and not his but it was worth the extra money in my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everybody is different, I did 2 day course for both my class 1 and 2 :laughing: