Should I do it or not?!

Guys, sorry for posting this but I can’t quite make up my mind I’m stuck. I will be made redundant soon, current working in a warehouse and I don’t enjoy it. £10 an hour 40 hours a week.

When I get my redundancy should I go and do my class 2 and class 1? I am reading so many negatives it has really put me off what I thought would be a very good and fairly well paid career. I currently work very closely with long serving hgv drivers who give me very mixed opinions. Lots of sour people saying the money is crap the hours are crap and there are too many regulations. Then there are some that say it would be the best thing I could do.

I’m having a nightmare and need people to give me their opinions as to where I should go. I stand to make around the same wage (£10ph) if I stay in a warehousing job. Realistically is there work out there for new drivers and is it as well paid as it seems to be? I am fully prepared to work 60 hour shifts etc I don’t mind putting hours into a job. I regularly worked overtime when I enjoyed my job.

I am torn between it simply based on the high number of negative opinions regarding the industry. I should note I have held my licence for 10 years no points etc and love driving and lets be fair who didn’t dream of driving artics at some point in their lives?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any input.

Pay and Work availability varies throughout the country, where abouts are you ?

If it was a choice between warehouse work and driving, I’d pick driving all day long.
There’s some really not great driving jobs out there and there’s some pretty reasonable and well paid jobs out there - It is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack sometimes

If I was unsure, I would do the Class 2 and see what kind of work is around. If you have the funds available, going straight to Class 1 after Class 2 makes sense, if nothing else, it should make finding Class 2 work easier with a Class 1 if you can’t find new driver Class 1 work

Check out the likes of Indeed, CV Library, Total Jobs etc to get an idea of how much work is around and call a couple of the bigger agencies in your area to get an idea how much work is realistically around for a new driver at the moment(Some will promise the earth though) It is a quiet time for agencies on the whole though right now

Checking on websites the wages are around £10-£12 per hour. I am based in Huddersfield but would travel reasonably for the right job. I know a few people in the business which could push me towards a decent job I am just confused with all the negativity. It seems really good as I think I would love driving, new sights, not stuck in the same 4 walls week in week out.

I have been toying with the idea for a few years but never had the opportunity to actually do it.

To enjoy being a hgv driver you just have to have the right attitude to the job, like you i was made redundant and did my class 2 and started driving lorries as a necessity, for 2 years…i hated it, resentment of being made redundant from a job i thought i had for life didnt help at all.

I came out of driving and did something else for 12 years, then 2 years ago i decided the time was right for me to get back into it, and now i enjoy it, you get the odd bad day but on the whole its great. Watch some youtube vlogs like luke c in a hgv or fastasfox to get a little bit of an insight of what you might come across.

But as above, the main thing is having the right attitude to the job, there are also some good and bad companies to work for, so if your first one doesnt work out dont give up hope try another, if its what you want to do you will find one that suits you.

I just passed my Class 2 driving test yesterday. Up until 2.5 weeks ago I had been in sales for best part of 20 years and grew gradually weary of it over the last 5 years. If you asked my opinion of working in field sales I’m probably not the best person to speak to.

I think it’s probably the same with driving trucks or any other industry if you have lost your passion for it. I have concerns about getting my first job but once I have my CPC and a few other things that I need I’m just going to go for it and put myself out there and be persistent until I get sorted.

All I know is I only commenced my driving training on Monday and by yesterday afternoon I’d passed. If you like driving I think you’ll love it. I know I’ve got very little experience so far but it was a very enjoyable week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive been doing the job 37 years, there are good and bad jobs out there. The only way is to give it a go and make your own mind up.
The trouble with asking others opinion is some will be positive others negative. In my opinion, I’ve enjoyed it more than not, having the licence has meant there is allways a job out there.
Hope this helps in some small way.

I always wonder why those drivers who apparently hate the job so much continue doing it. Drivers are not dim so why not train to do something else? I would not get out of bed to do a job I didn’t enjoy.

My comment to OP: if you look at the rules you’ll notice that the licence for LGV or PCV comes under the heading of “vocational”. This means it’s not just a job. It’s almost a calling. If you really want to drive trucks there’s no finer way of earning a living - and a decent one at that. As already mentioned, there is bad work out there with the similar standard of employer. But there’s a growing number of much more professional set ups.

No-one should go into driving as a last resort or because they cant think of anything else. Your own enthusiasm will colour your perception of the work you’re doing.

Whatever you decide, all the very best with it. If you decide to go for it, take a good look at our offers and the Darren Shaw offer at the top of the threads.

Any more info needed, just post on here, send me a pm or call the office 01623 555661.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I think Pete has the best advise. If you WANT to do it you will probably enjoy it and be fine. If it’s a way of earning money probably less so.

I don’t know your area but £10 should be achievable within a few months even if not in your first job. Remember the first job is about getting a start and experience rather than hunting the best money or hours.

Drivers like to moan and for those who have been doing it 20 or 30 years maybe it isn’t as good as it was but you won’t know different. I started driving 18 months ago after 20 years in retail and retail has changed and is no longer as good as it was so is happening everywhere.

The worst case is you do it and decide you don’t like it then you go back to warehousing. However you always have it if made redundant in the future. Also a lot of driving jobs will be ‘easier’ than warehousing as well which becomes a consideration as you start getting older

Some very down to earth responses here which is what I wanted. It’s always been an idea and something I thought about doing but never got the chance. Now I have the chance and I just don’t want to waste so much money doing it if it doesn’t turn out to be as good as I think it will. I really just want the freedom of it and as previously said I enjoy driving so I think I’m gonna go for it. I have a quote of £2500 for class 2 and class 1, not sure if that’s good or bad but the instructor comes highly recommended by some lads I work with.

Thank you all! Once my redundancy goes through I’ll let you all know how I get on!! Thanks!!!

Have a look at the Darren Shaw Offer. £2000 for Class 2, Class 1 and Mod 4. Exactly the same job as from our main site. You cant beat that. And if you think you have, let me know!

The thing to remember is people will moan about any job. Think how many moan about working in the warehouse where you are now but still turn up everyday. Its the same with drivers.

Had a bloke at our place that moaned about every load they asked him to do. ■■■■ this and ■■■■ that.

Where as I like the variety of doing general haulage, different stuff and places everyday. But I hate the RDC work we sometimes do when we are a bit quiet.

Just remember there are many many roles in the HGV world and its just about finding the right one for you.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Like you I am confused also, however every single job will be the same and will have a huge differing of opinion amongst people who work in that industry.
Do some research on other jobs… Police/nursing/doctors/fire brigade/builders/taxi drivers/army/bus drivers… pick any job and you will get a percentage who enjoy it and a percentage who tell you the job is fcked.
A perfect example is an HGV driver group on Facebook that I frequent whilst doing my research. The moaning is incredible, but at the same time there is some positivity.
When someone asks on the group something like …’Is there really a driver shortage?’ You get loads saying the jobs fcked or you’d be better off stacking shelves at Aldi.
Yet when last week someone asked ‘How much is a house where you live and how much do you take home.’ Over 150 drivers answered and the average take home pay was in excess of £600 a week, which is £40k+.
Talk about mixed messages.
Sometimes I get depressed when deciding whether to do this and then I get enthused, all depending on where and what you read.

Regarding what Peter said above about why drivers just don’t re-train and do something else if they hate it so much… we’ll it ain’t that easy, especially if you’re over a certain age. I’m finding that now, I’d say the average wage of all the jobs I’m looking at is £9-10ph.

My advice, if you can afford it… just do it. And hopefully after a couple of years you’ll find yourself in a job you like with a decent company.

Peter Smythe:
I always wonder why those drivers who apparently hate the job so much continue doing it. Drivers are not dim so why not train to do something else? I would not get out of bed to do a job I didn’t enjoy.

My comment to OP: if you look at the rules you’ll notice that the licence for LGV or PCV comes under the heading of “vocational”. This means it’s not just a job. It’s almost a calling. If you really want to drive trucks there’s no finer way of earning a living - and a decent one at that. As already mentioned, there is bad work out there with the similar standard of employer. But there’s a growing number of much more professional set ups.

No-one should go into driving as a last resort or because they cant think of anything else. Your own enthusiasm will colour your perception of the work you’re doing.

Whatever you decide, all the very best with it. If you decide to go for it, take a good look at our offers and the Darren Shaw offer at the top of the threads.

Any more info needed, just post on here, send me a pm or call the office 01623 555661.

You are quite correct Pete, drivers are not dim, but they get used to earning £25k-£35k and it is very difficult indeed to get another unskilled (let’s face it truck driving is NOT a professional occupation) job.

I have been driving wagons for 5 years now and had many different employers. I’ve pulled fridges, flats, curtains, containers etc, and it’s all as equally crap as each other! I would advise anyone who is thinking " Should I be a truck driver? " to do SOMETHING ELSE.

It’s rubbish. No facilities, long hours and treated like crap off nearly everyone.

Maybe it’s comparable to Marmite? Some love it, others don’t. But, there again, no-one is forced to eat Marmite.

eagerbeaver:

Peter Smythe:

You are quite correct Pete, drivers are not dim, but they get used to earning £25k-£35k and it is very difficult indeed to get another unskilled (let’s face it truck driving is NOT a professional occupation) job.

I have been driving wagons for 5 years now and had many different employers. I’ve pulled fridges, flats, curtains, containers etc, and it’s all as equally crap as each other! I would advise anyone who is thinking " Should I be a truck driver? " to do SOMETHING ELSE.

It’s rubbish. No facilities, long hours and treated like crap off nearly everyone.

I agree with your point about the money but that’s also why some come into it. When people’s “first” choice career doesn’t work out and they are on the £30k mark there’s not many options to earn that and that then draws people into driving.

eagerbeaver:

Peter Smythe:

I can’t comment on driving as I have never done it…though reading the constant horror stories is a massive put off.
But, what I can say is I understand the appeal of driving HGV, as when you reach a certain age (45+) and you find that you have no skills the options out there range from very poor to poor. I have been looking for months now and can say with my hand on my heart the average wage I am looking at is around £8.50-£10ph for soul destrying jobs.
So I guess having your sould destroyed driving and earning £30k+ is a better option for many.

david8732:

eagerbeaver:

Peter Smythe:

I can’t comment on driving as I have never done it…though reading the constant horror stories is a massive put off.
But, what I can say is I understand the appeal of driving HGV, as when you reach a certain age (45+) and you find that you have no skills the options out there range from very poor to poor. I have been looking for months now and can say with my hand on my heart the average wage I am looking at is around £8.50-£10ph for soul destrying jobs.
So I guess having your sould destroyed driving and earning £30k+ is a better option for many.

I’m in the same boat mate. 46 years old and didn’t listen at school.

If I was a younger man I wouldn’t touch wagon driving with a barge pole. 360 excavator or telehandler etc is a far better proposition in my view. £15 per hour Mon-Fri building site hours is a whole lot better than £10 per hour out on the road.

I worked field sales for best of 20 years nationally. A regular working day was 11 hours with no driving restrictions.
When you do get home or to the hotel there were reports to do, emails to read and send, databases to update, quotes to compile etc. Some of my salaries were a little higher than this industry, others not really. Often made to feel awful by managers for not hitting financial targets.

Plenty of people with stress, mental health issues, bullying by management. I’m not whinging about it as 3 weeks ago I quit. I’m giving driving a go.
I might regret it it but I agree that when you have no other formal trade to turn to as a 40 plus aged person you are limited in terms of career options. Met guys today on my CPC course who mostly like their jobs.

Don’t get me wrong, my eyes are open, but with a positive frame of mind I hope I’ll be fine even if it’s not straight away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mattyholmz89:
Checking on websites the wages are around £10-£12 per hour. I am based in Huddersfield but would travel reasonably for the right job. I know a few people in the business which could push me towards a decent job I am just confused with all the negativity. It seems really good as I think I would love driving, new sights, not stuck in the same 4 walls week in week out.

I have been toying with the idea for a few years but never had the opportunity to actually do it.

I’ve done exactly the same as you. I toyed with the idea of driving artics for quite a few years. I’ve been in catering all my life (30yrs).

Last August I decided enough was enough. I started the long process of gaining my class 1 licence. Jan 22nd this year I passed my class 1 test. Like you I have done a lot of research on this industry. I have found a lot of negativity but also a lot of positivity.

In the end I think the negatives come from those that have been in the industry along time. They have seen the changes and the Increased regulation and legislation. So maybe they will be feeling disillusioned by it all. Maybe… Personally I have always loved driving and was always interested in artics and now I have experienced it I love it.

I start my 1st Job very soon, driving class 1 bulk tippers for a reputable company. I rang quite a few companies, had a few assessment drives and interviews and had a couple of offers even as a newbie.

My advice to you would be, if its something you really want to do then go for it. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what kind of industry or what kind of job you go into, there are always going to be pros and cons. It is what you make it.

Its important to do the research and ask the questions so you can make an informed choice…that’s why you’re on here :wink:
Good luck

It’s great for the first 12 months or so gents. Trust me though, the novelty of being Rubber Duck with a Yorkie in your top pocket soon wears off.

5 years in, I hate the job.