First day on the road

Seems I’ve had some very good luck!
Having worked in a logistics warehouse for 20 years loading supervisor I decided I’d had enough, and recently passed C and C+E, some of you may have seen my progress thread.
By good luck, my warehouse manager is also the transport manager, so I twisted her arm to see if I’d be able to get some weekend or extra runs in occasionally to help build up experience.
She cleared it with the branch manager and said just say when you want to go.
Thankfully I know most of the drivers too, so chose my mate who I’ve known for years and off we went on Friday morning. The run was Tomorrow’s Richmond, Hammersmith, Ealing, Harrow, Watford and Milton Keynes, all to the same chain of stores. Some front door on street deliveries, and some in the maze of shopping centre service areas. We left at 4am and sharing the driving we’re back in the yard just before half 12.
What a day! It felt like a different world being up and about in the morning, I’m so used to being out in the evening.
I’ve no idea how regular it will be, but any experience obviously counts towards something.
Sadly they’re not taking on any drivers now as it’s all going to sub contractors, but you never know!
Went in to see her when we got back and she asked if I wanted to go again on Monday to Eastbourne and Brighton, so that’s a good start.
It’s only rigid work at the moment but it’s got me on the road, so thanks the main thing!

Good on you , but if you think the likes of Hammersmith and Ealing were hard to drive around wait till you get to Brighton :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m not bothered by tight roads, 20 years of shunting in very tight yards helped with that!

blue estate:
Good on you , but if you think the likes of Hammersmith and Ealing were hard to drive around wait till you get to Brighton :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Hammersmith and Ealing, like being out in the countryside :slight_smile: