New pass- job hunting

Hello Guys and Gals, after reading another “New pass” post I thought I’d share my story with everyone. Especially for those considering entering the world of Haulage/transport as a driver.

Firstly my experience. I trained as a chef after leaving school, went to college for 2 years, got my qualifications etc. Got my first job and then decided I didnt want to be a chef anymore. I ended up becoming a confectioner in a bakery which I loved. Worked my way up, training I different departments until I became head Baker.

But being young I was easily bored and ended up doing 4 spells as a Baker for the same company, while also being a chef in between. In 2002 I found myself working for a Fishmongers. Well known successful. Business, spent 8 years there honing my skills and worked up to wholesale supervisor, with 8-10 people under me. Then the recession hit…BANG!! The business took a big hit and the workforce dwindled, my path upwards was well and truly blocked. So I took the decision to leave and went back to being a chef but with really sociable hours. Pay wasnt great. I’ve since been going from one job to another trying to find a good balance. Then 3 1/2 years ago got an email from my current boss, as she’d seen my C.v online, asking me to work for her. Its been a really good job, hours are great for a head chefs wage. The only thing is my boss isnt catering trained and this causes conflict between us from time e to time. Id decided this would be my last chef job and would do something else after this.

I wanted to change my career completely from catering and decided I wanted to drive artics. Last August I started the long road to becoming a hgv driver. I booked my theory tests and did loads of research and revision. I went for an assessment drive, for class 2, at my local training school, this is when I found out I love driving big vehicles. My driving was very good apparently so was booked in for just a 2 day course with test, once I’d done my theories.

My 2 day course came, driving all day Tuesday, driving Wednesday morning then test in the afternoon. My trainers had taken me round all the known test routes which I got to know quite well. This filled me with confidence. Test…Oh no. Not going round the familiar routes. Oh no the examiner decided we were going through and around Leeds. This was at 3.00pm during school run rush hour. Everything was thrown at me. Breakdowns on a uphill bend. Traffic was horrendous, roadworks. You name it I got it. I managed to hold my nerve and pass 1st time with no driving faults.

As soon as my licence came back I booked another 2 day course for the class 1. Come on!!
Again all day Tuesday driving. Consisting of reversing the artics around a cone and into a marked bay. This obviously I’d never done before, but I loved it and soon got the hang of it. Uncoupling and decoupling, I was a bit apprehensive about as again, I’d done nothing like it before ever. Got that sussed, now on the road. Loved every minute of it. I knew I’d made a good choice for a new career. Following day was a couple of hours driving, then the test.
First was the uncoupling and decoupling. My nerves got the better of me and my brain went to mush. Once I’d decoupled and reattached the Auxiliaries I forgot about the legs and brake. What a numpty. The examiner asked if I was happy after we’d done the light check, me not clicking that he was trying to give me a hint that something was amiss. Yeh I’m happy. So I got in the cab and he then said, “come outside a second”.“You need to raise the legs”. I was mortified, I knew then it was a fail. But we still went out to do the driving, for an hour I was driving knowing I’d already failed. But I hoped, and drove like I meant it. Got back to test centre and yes, I’d failed on the recoupling. My driving was faultless but it was too late. Mortified.

Went back to base and rebooked my test, fortunately there was a slot the following week.
Spent the week drilling into my head the “black” procedures. Test day comes. 2 more hours driving and then the test.

Coupling and decoupling went well…reversing, which is my strong point, I nearly botched it. It took my 2 shunts to get it home when normally I dont use any. Then driving. My examiner who was the 3rd different one, didnt seem very friendly. He made no small talk whatsoever, not like the other 2 before, nothing…nada. Anyway finally got back to the test centre and yayyy Id passed. I’m a fully qualified class 1 driver. Turns out the examiner was the worst one there. Grumpy and getting worse through the years. Glad they didn’t tell me before the test.

So since passing my class 2, I’ve been contacting various companies for vacancies or whether they take on newly qualified drivers. Currently I’ve found 3 that do. Here’s what’s happening…

…company 1 is a dairy that produces milk and milk products and ships to loads of major companies around the country. Had interview, and been invited back for a shadow shift and assessment drive. That’s pending my return from holiday which im enjoying right now :smiley:

Company 2 is a company that hauls aggregates using tipper wagons. I’ve had an assessment drive which involved driving to a quarry, getting loaded with 29 tons then bringing it back to base. That went very well and ive got an interview on Monday

Company 3 is a rather large chilled/frozen storage facility that hauls these goods around the country for other big companies like Asda/Tesco. I’ve been for an interview and have been invited for an assessment drive on Sunday.

Company 3 is the better pay with company 2 in 2nd. Company 1 is lowest pay but it is salaried.

Currently Im torn between companies 2 and 3.

Anyway its all going to plan and I’m excited about the future and my new career.

And that my friends…is my newbie story so far.
Thanks for reading :smiley:

Well done on passing, were are you based?

paul davies:
Well done on passing, were are you based?

I’m I Harrogate, North yorkshire. :slight_smile:

Well done mate,

Hope you have luck with your job search. I passed my class C on Friday so im just in the process of putting feeders out for a job too. I’m sure you will be fine!

Well done and good luck with the interviews and assessment.

never take a salaried most companies will max your hours out.

the things to bear in mind like me I started out on general haulage and in the end got bored of sitting in rdcs hours on end. I felt like I needed more hands on role where I had most of the control of the unloading and loading of the wagon milk tankers then onto day old chicks and now settled on Iceland store delivers.

Can I ask where you did your training ?

I did my training with 'Tockwith Training service’s. They are on the A59 just outside of York. They are fantastic. Its 1 to 1 training, the instructors are excellent and the machinery is top notch. Volvo. I couldnt praise them enough for their professionalism and helpfulness. They are a bit more expensive than some companies I think, but their very high pass rate is reflected in this.

Thanks for taking the time, mate. I enjoyed reading that :slight_smile: Good luck with whatever you decide.

steviespain:
Thanks for taking the time, mate. I enjoyed reading that :slight_smile: Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers buddy.

Well everyone, just an update on my Job search. I had a assessment drive yesterday with reed bordall. Went ok, passed. But wasn’t happy with how I was spoken to. Treated like a complete incompetent. Which kind of put me off.
Had my Interview with Alfred Hymas this morning and was offered the job which I accepted. I start on the 4th March and am very excited. Got a steep learning curve ahead of me I know, but I’ll give it my all and hopefully I’ll enjoy it.

congratulations Jase… :smiley:
bulk tippers eh…nice steady job…no rushin around :wink:

Well done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well done, mate. Good choice. One of the things I like about where I am is we get treated like human beings.

Cheers guys. It’s been along time coming. Started all this back in August last year. Might see some of you on the roads. Think I’ll have to get a plate that says “jasesonix” on it and put it in my window, not illegally blocking the view mind pml