New Pass Story!

Hi all, this is my first post but have been following the forum since last Summer.

On Friday i passed my Class C driving test after a week long of training. A few weeks before i passed my MOD 4 cpc aswell.

I have took alot of inspiration from other people on this forum with their own stories so thought i should share mine and maybe it can inspire others in the future.

It was last Summer that i started looking into become a HGV driver. It seemed there was a demand now and in the future for drivers for which i was a bit cautious at first. I had never dreamed of being a HGV driver ever and even driving in general i was not to keen on. It was only back in November i got my first car for over 10 years! My current job was self employed, i have a little web business and i also do labouring which i have done for years. I have also done a mixture of jobs in the past from office work to a fork lift driver, all more or less minimum wage work. It has been a struggle, not knowing what money is coming in each month etc so my main aim was finding a new career. I am 36, single and currently back home with my parents, well the food is so good! I needed to do something that would give me a skill for the rest of my career. I was not confident i could do the HGV driving but decided i had to try.

Things got rolling in September with the medical. After that i booked my Mod 1 & 2 exams. I had to wait until November and early December before i got them out the way, all passed first time. I would suggest putting in the effort with revision for at least a few weeks before hand. I went on ebay and purchased some training dvds etc.

I had to wait until the start of January for my driving assessment. The company i used was Taunton Training Centre in Somerset, not my closest training provider but they came recommended. The assessment went well, i drove for about 30 mins and enjoyed the experience. Lucky enough i booked my training after and only had to wait a few weeks. Doing that assessment drive gave me a bit of confidence so was worth it.

I managed to get my Mod 4 cpc done before which was fairly easy, just take the time to read the guidelines your training provider gives you, plus youtube was great too. During that exam a couple times i struggled to get my words out, but the examiner prompted me and i was fine. That exam was about 20 mins!

So this past week my training started on the monday, it was 1 to 1 training, 4 hours a day with the test booked in on the Friday. Its fair to say i didn’t sleep much this past week, thinking about everything plus a bit of the flu lurking! My instructor was fantastic, the majority of the time we was talking about this and that and to be fair it was only the odd occasion he told me i had clipped a curb or i had got in the wrong lane so i knew i was doing fine to which he confirmed at the end of each day. Things went well all week and my confidence grew. My advice is to relax & ‘listen’ to your instructor!

So on Friday i had my test at 10.30am, we had a couple hours driving before hand which helped. I was nervous but that was to be expected. I knew in my head the only reason i would fail was if i made a stupid mistake. The test was the reversing exercise which went well, a bit of town centre driving, countryside and on the M5 motorway in the driving rain and wind! From start to finish the test was about 1 hour and as we entered the home straight i was feeling pretty confident. I passed with just 1 driver fault and was so pleased with myself. This moment had been building up for a few months or more so the relief was a great feeling and the sleepless nights of the past week was worth it!

Now i have to find a job, i have been told by numerous drivers in my area that there is plenty of work. I have kept a open mind for what sort of work i want to do. I’m easy really, whether its cage work, tipper trucks etc. Now i have my HGV skill my aim is to find a company that i can stay with for the foreseeable future. I might not get that job straight away but aslong as i am kept in work for now, that will do. I am sure it will also take me a few weeks once in a job to get in the swing of things, just like any other new job.

So there we go, my story is just like any other newbie, but maybe it will inspire a few of you to go out and get your license too. Thanks to all of you who inspired me too!

Thanks for sharing that. Im in 2 minds if I should do it. Bit of an investment for a short term job coz I do it for couple of year’s, but its a good skill to have. The pays not that good for the graft you do. Ive got a cushy office role for £11ph and truck drivers should get at least £14 per hour for the physical demands of the work with unsociable hours.
Keep sharing your experience on your job search and I wish you all the best.
BashK

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

BashK:
Thanks for sharing that. Im in 2 minds if I should do it. Bit of an investment for a short term job coz I do it for couple of year’s, but its a good skill to have. The pays not that good for the graft you do. Ive got a cushy office role for £11ph and truck drivers should get at least £14 per hour for the physical demands of the work with unsociable hours.
Keep sharing your experience on your job search and I wish you all the best.
BashK

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yes its a bit of money to fork out to start with which puts people off i suppose. For me it was having a skill to my name which i can have for the rest of my working days. I suppose the pay varies wherever in the country you are. Down in Somerset the jobs i have seen tend to be around the £10.50 to £12 a hour, which for me to start with is fine. I spent a few months thinking ‘shall i do it or not’, only time will tell if i will like it! You said you have a cushy job at £11ph so i suppose its whether you enjoy it. Some people love being in a office, especially winter times, some people hate it.

:smiley: :smiley:

That’s great Kev, well done!

Any plans to take your C+E?

Good luck to you and let us know how you get on.

johnleicester:
That’s great Kev, well done!

Any plans to take your C+E?

Good luck to you and let us know how you get on.

Many thanks John,

No plans as yet but who knows i might enjoy it so much and decide to go for C+E. I think i need at least 6 months experience on Class C first!

Just a update…

Today i got myself my first HGV driving job. I shall start next monday. The company is a Frozen Food Wholesaler, so its a multi drop type of job around the south of england. The interview was relaxed and easy to be honest and the guys i spoke to seem fine. The job is based about 15mins from me, so not far to go.

Its a salary job based on 48 hours a week with overtime on saturdays. Early starts too which i expected, anytime from 4am to 7am. This company always seemed to be looking for drivers, that could be a good or bad thing, time will tell! Been told i will head out with another driver for 1st week or two and they told me to not worry about anything as i’m new and everything will sink in within a few weeks.

I’m just happy to get a job and start getting driving experience. If i don’t really like that company or type of work then i just need to use it to build up experience. The salary is alot more than i have ever been on before so happy with that. I will be just glad to get the first few weeks under my belt and after that i’m sure i will be fine, just like any new job.

Happy to receive any advice or tips from new pass drivers or anyone in a multi drop type of role.

Cheers!