Hastings Area/Work/ Scania for Class 1

Good morning everyone.

I have two questions as a recently passed class 2. I had been driving coaches for twenty years in the UK and in Europe, do you think this would make up for the lack of experience in a Rigid, the coaches were longer than Rigids, or is this comparing apples with oranges?

Does anyone know of any companies down here that take on newbies? There seems to be a few at Sittingbourne but it is a 90 minute drive away from here.

Lastly, I know its a third question but has anyone any experience of using Scania for Class 1, they have a place at Purfleet and they use a very modern full size artic, which I think is a better idea than passing in a drawbar.

Thanks in advance.

Yes the coach experience should satisfy an emplyer that you can handle a large vehicle and are more than just a new HGV pass. The two companies in the area I know are French’s at Hastings and Jempsons of Rye, both have been around for yonks. Go along and ask.

I use to live on the coast not far from Hastings. Not much work around that area and I use to commute to aylesford. However, Jempsons have been mentioned, there is also bourne removals in rye.

Your best bet is perhaps spar in hastings afblakemore.com/logistics/welcome which is located near the test centre - they are always advertising (make of that what you will)

further afield I think there is a M&S or john lewis depot around tonbridge. This job involves delivering furniture and assembling to homes

Best of luck

I made enquiries to Scania training for class 1. Seemed like an organised set up, cost was £1419 for a 5 day course and test, training was half days.

Made enquiries with a number of trainers at that time was looking specifically for training between Xmas and New year and that’s why I didn’t go with them.