Time to take the plunge

I was about to start my initial driving training about a year ago but unfortunately I had an unrelated accident and beat myself up pretty good. In the following months as I started to heal I started my theory training and passed my theory test back at the end of May.

As I was about to sign up for training I got a call from a former colleague and went to work for his employer in Medical sales which I’ve done for best part 20 years. Hasn’t worked out but I’m fortunate I have the funds to train. My question is that it’s quite a while since I did my theory and being 43 I’m not that young anymore.

I have the chance to start my training very soon but would I be better holding back a week or two to refresh my theory knowledge? I’m sure I’ve forgotten not that much but I don’t want reduce my chance of passing my practical driving test.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d say just go for it. Most of the theory is common sense and basic road craft.

Trainers work on the basis of you knowing nothing about a truck.

43 makes you the same age as me. So not old at all [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

As above. You’re certainly not old!! (wont go any further with that one though haha). A GOOD trainer will be able to take you from where you are now in your knowledge to the required level and beyond. So, provided your choice of trainer is good, you have no worries.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Get the app, the majority of questions are the same.

Sorry to hijack your thread but looking into it too and was wondering about some reading would this , The official DVSA theory test for large goods vehicles , be official/decent to start ?

That’s a good place to start. Some prefer one of the many apps now available. Others use a trainer who actually teaches the theory to ensure a full understanding. It’s not just about passing the theory test. It does actually relate to your work for the next ■■■ years. So it’s a bit important!

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I sat my theory yesterday and about 80-85% of the questions are the same as the app questions however, there are still enough new questions for your too fail. There was a question something like, your HGV has a car sat nav installed what limitations would it have etc, or, ideally what features should you look for in a sat nav. Two of the possible answers were, 1) Services stations and rest points and 2) Narrow roads and Tunnel heights. Could have been either of those, you would think the second is the obvious choice but could still be the first as you may need rest, fuel or repairs etc.

danbabirecki:
I was about to start my initial driving training about a year ago but unfortunately I had an unrelated accident and beat myself up pretty good. In the following months as I started to heal I started my theory training and passed my theory test back at the end of May.

As I was about to sign up for training I got a call from a former colleague and went to work for his employer in Medical sales which I’ve done for best part 20 years. Hasn’t worked out but I’m fortunate I have the funds to train. My question is that it’s quite a while since I did my theory and being 43 I’m not that young anymore.

I have the chance to start my training very soon but would I be better holding back a week or two to refresh my theory knowledge? I’m sure I’ve forgotten not that much but I don’t want reduce my chance of passing my practical driving test.

Any thoughts are welcome.

I started my training at 45, did all my theories and cpc theory and practical test then class 1 test then class 2 test. Both of these within a few weeks of each other.
This was only started last August when I took the plunge.

22nd Jan I passed my class 1 driving test. Its been a long hard slog but been well worth it. The main thing for me was using a reputable training school. I went to tockwith training near york, they are more expensive but I couldnt recommend them enough. They were fantastic. The instructors are great, will help you with anything you want to know. The trucks are top notch.

Ive read a lot of posts on here about people getting really bad training from bad training companies. So id say that is the 2nd most important thing to consider. The most important thing for me is the time and effort you put in to learn as much as possible. Basically you get out what you put in. Im now 46 and embarking on what I hope will be a great new career. I love driving the artics.

Not sure where you are but around me there’s at least 3 companies that will take on newly qualifieds, of which ive had one assessment and have 2 more lined up in couple of weeks.

In regards to your holding back, Don’t! Just crack on and get your training and test booked. Just spend an hour each day revising the theory aspects of it, watch some training videos on YouTube about reversing, coupling and uncoupling (if youre doing class 1).

If you havent already, get your assessment drive booked with your trainer so you can see how much training you will need. This can range from 2 to 5 days including test. Depending how good you are.
Good luck

Thank you all. I’m based near Wakefield near where the M1 and M62 meet. I know there are a huge number of distribution depots near Castleford which is only 20 minutes away. Plus I’m fairly flexible in terms of hours, nights away etc. I probably just have the same concerns everybody has when starting out the main one being will I get a job but guess most people on here who are qualified were once in the same position. My main goal is to get my Class 1 and ideally go tramping. All in good time.

Thank you folks. I start my practical training on Monday. Bricking it to some extent but I figure just go for it. I appreciate all the input. Hope one day I can help out a newbie as you have helped me.

Bricking it as you may fail and be lose over £1k

ram_1979:
Bricking it as you may fail and be lose over £1k

You dont really lose £1000 do you. That money has paid for you to train and learn how to drive a hgv. What you mean is it’ll cost you another £300-£400 if you fail. :smiley:

danbabirecki:
Thank you folks. I start my practical training on Monday. Bricking it to some extent but I figure just go for it. I appreciate all the input. Hope one day I can help out a newbie as you have helped me.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

danbabirecki:

Just enjoy it, you’ll be surprised how easy going it is… When I did my training they took me to an industrial estate and we just kept doing the islands and corners to begin with :slight_smile:

Definitely enjoy it!
Relax and don’t rush, a decent trainer will tell you everything you need to know to pass.
Ask if the training covers the test routes, every mile I did was a potential test route or junction, so on my test I had already done every single one.
I’m 46, got my medical mid October and have now done my initial CPC, class C in November, and C+E yesterday.

Why are you bricking it?

Stussy:
Definitely enjoy it!
Relax and don’t rush, a decent trainer will tell you everything you need to know to pass.
Ask if the training covers the test routes, every mile I did was a potential test route or junction, so on my test I had already done every single one.
I’m 46, got my medical mid October and have now done my initial CPC, class C in November, and C+E yesterday.

Why are you bricking it?

I remember doing my class 1, the trainers took me round all the usual test routes. On the day the examiner took me somewhere completely different…leeds during the school run rush hour. What a nightmare that was. Had everything thrown at me, still managed to get through with no faults. But by Christ was I a deck when we got back to the centre lol

Again, thanks for all your feedback. Started yesterday, it mostly went went well. Plenty of reversing practice with an hour or so out on the road. Day two today and did more reversing. Annoyingly knock a cone over but I know why. Make my mistakes in the practice yard is what I figure.

Then had a solid 3 hours out on the road, including some of the test routes, city centre, and a short spurt on the M1. Absolutely loved it. No kerb scuffing, no dramas, felt good. Not being cocky but believe I can do this whether it’s first time or not. Nobody warned me my neck muscles would hurt with all the checking of mirrors both sides plus my right thigh is a touch aching from hitting the brake regularly. I know it’s only 18 tonnes but I drive a Fiat 500 so it’s something of a weight upgrade and needs more effort.

If you’re reading this and unsure as to whether to go for it I’d say do it. You need to enjoy driving in general as I do but if you can afford It I don’t think you’ll regret it.

That’s the spirit :grimacing:

Glad you agree. It’s a venture into the unknown as I know nobody in the industry but this forum is really helpful. Seems a tight community in general. I’m sure there are exceptions but I’m not interested in those opinions frankly.

One of the things we pride ourselves on is customer service and support. But it’s disappointing when, having looked after someone from September 2017 and spent many hours (literally) talking with them, the candidate then books elsewhere. This is, of course, well within their rights, but it doesn’t feel good.

Regardless of this, I still wish you well with your training and test. (But I’m very curious as to why you changed trainer).

Pete :laughing: :laughing: