Not too impressed with Agency at the moment

I’m guessing having a beef about agencies is fairly common on these boards :smiley:

So, Beef #1 is that they haven’t offered me a single day of Class 2 work for four weeks. Yes, I appreciate that (apparently) things tend to go quiet after Xmas, but surely a day or two here and there wouldn’t be too much to ask for a driver with 11 years of Class 2 experience and a clean licence?

Beef #2 is more about the near future: admittedly I haven’t taken my Class 1 test yet, I did the training last week but the DVSA cancelled it with just three hours notice, claiming their test centre was under snow. I’ve just been in touch with my agency and I mentioned this in passing. They’ve said they would struggle to find me Class 1 work, claiming 99% of their clients require 2 years experience and wouldn’t give any work to a newly qualified Class 1 driver.

Surely not all agencies operate like this? Time to try another agency perhaps?

A week without work and I’d have been looking elsewhere. They’ll expect you to be available at the drop of a hat, probably 1am if you’re lucky.

Plenty of agencies take on new passes, there are a few companies out there that do too.

How many agencies are you registered with :question:

Sounds a bit daft now that I’ve read other posts on the boards but right now I’m only registered with one agency :blush: Initially they were supplying me with what I needed so I didn’t see a need to register elsewhere, but now…

your only a name/number to your agency and of no importance to them whatsoever other than a bum to fill a seat.
they will have a note next to your number ranging from obliging,normal,not obliging or complete walkover fanny.
i had the misfortune to try and work for them for a couple of years mostly tesco garbage,when i started it was silly oclock shifts to get my toe in the door,after a month it was a case of il start a shift anytime between 9 in the morniing and 6pm at night otherwise im not available.
when they need you they will call and they wont care how skint you are.
when they call you along the lines of " were really stuck and your our only hope of filling this shift" what they really mean is…" this shift is dire and everyione else has rejected it so were hoping we can give you the old pals act to see how much of a prick you really are".

I registered with all the normal agencies driver hire, best connection, interaction etc and got nowhere. Got a phone call from logicalps. Guy who runs it had worked for them all and decided to set his own up and was the only one who actually attempted to find me work so I’d give them a call.

In the end I concentrated on full-time work to save me from the hassle of if and when I’d be working.

It you say where you can commute to then people can name a few companies that take on new passes, bypassing the agency.