Train local or up north?

I’m from down in the South West and looking to do my C+E. I’m wondering if I stick with my training providers in Exeter or whether I travel up North after reading/hearing good reviews about Peter Symthe :unamused:

Your going to get some serious stick for that username!!

I did my CE test at Petes and I can wholeheartedly recommend it, and you’ll be able to take advantage of the truck et discount AND the offer of free accommodation!

I did the full weekend training and test Monday which was ideal and very comprehensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for PSTT and the free accommodation :smiley:

If there’s a local training company with a good track record why not support them, when the large companies have put the smaller companies out of business costs will rise substantially.

If all things are equal support your local training companies.

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:
If there’s a local training company with a good track record why not support them, when the large companies have put the smaller companies out of business costs will rise substantially.

If all things are equal support your local training companies.

Sent from my mobile.

If the providers near OP are good then yes I’d fully agree to stay and support them. Only OP can figure that out, Petes set up is excellent and I went there for simple reason the providers near me were dire and I mean dire! When I did my Cat C it was purely through my own effort and def not the trainer !

I then looked about for CE and figured my best bet was to go further afield and Petes place fitted in to what I wanted.

As been said many a time standards vary enormously. If a good provider is nearby then why travel. If they’re that good and have the reputation you have no need to travel anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for Peter Smythe from me.
I did my C and CE training with them and I live about 180 miles away. It was worth it though, because with excellent training from them I passed cat C first time and I will be doing my C+E test in a couple of weeks.
The reversing area they use for training is the exact same one you use for the test, which I found really helpful.
Good luck whatever you decide to do. :smiley:

I got my first licence by doing a residential course and found that it really concentrated the mind on the task in hand due to there being less everyday distractions

Clearly I have a view on this! Having read ROG’s contribution, it brings to mind that I have attended courses year after year and always gone residential for the reasons ROG gives. In most cases, it was also a case that I had to travel to get top quality training. And this has paid off countless times in my own career development.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

When I did class 1 training I started on Monday and did a round trip of approximately 40 miles by bus every day, it didn’t stop me passing class 1 first time on the Friday.

Like I said OP, if you have a really good local training company support them and help to keep competition alive and costs down for future trainees :wink:

As a driver trainer who in the past has used Exeter for LGV driving tests, however I would not recommend it!
There is a major road that has a very unusual set of bus lanes, some of which are clearly signed with a lorry symbol allowing use by any LGV over 7.5t, and further along this road there is a 24 hour bus only lane. In a test situation trainees often just follow the cars and stay out of the LGV bus lane or use it and then also use the bus only lane!
Also at the A38 (Marsh Barton) signal controlled roundabout, turning right is very tricky in an LGV due to the closely spaced traffic lights and keep clear areas.
At the test centre the reversing bay is very close to site boundary fences and this presents additional stress.
I would suggest you either travel to Peter Symthe’s excellent facility of have a look at MT Training who have recently expanded into Plymouth.
The roads in Plymouth are very free flowing with generous widths and consequently on a driving test it is rare to meet busy traffic.
Good luck with your training and test.