Job for a young family?

(Edited to add - I have my class 2 and have 4.5 years of bus driving experience along with a couple of agency refrigerated van shifts delivering food)

Hi folks,

I think I might have asked this before but would like a fresh opinion, would you say you could achieve a decent lifestyle with a young family? I currently have a 15 month old boy and wife you see.

The reason this has come up again is I might soon find myself redundant as my team is going through a restructure (this goes for everyone in the team including managers etc, no one is safe at the moment) and to be honest I’m sick of the expendable nature of office work. Sure no job is guaranteed but I’ll never forget leaving the buses for my first office job, within the first week I felt uneasy and throughout my few years I’ve found it’s not much more than a popularity contest.

On the back of this, if there’s anyone recruiting in the Birmingham area that would like a chat please PM me.

Semi tired rant over, thank you.

It depends on many things but I’ll assume you mean family friendly ish hours?

Obviously anything can happen out on the road so it’s hard to make plans but look at some of the pallet network type jobs. They’re generally not the best but the hours are more sociable. The pallet guys at my place start at 07.30 and most are done by 17.00 as an example.

toonsy:
It depends on many things but I’ll assume you mean family friendly ish hours?

Obviously anything can happen out on the road so it’s hard to make plans but look at some of the pallet network type jobs. They’re generally not the best but the hours are more sociable. The pallet guys at my place start at 07.30 and most are done by 17.00 as an example.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I’m looking for those ‘ish’ hours, I understand there will be longer days - nature of the beast - I just didn’t want to be away from my son too much that’s all.

Will look at some pallet jobs! Appreciate it.

I drove for 16 years 6 years class 2 ten class 1 and never once did a night out so it is do able,I’d look for a job that starts early morning and finishes late afternoon…Bread or Milk deliveries for example or builders merchants are generally office hours,try Blakemores (spar) at Willenhall or Brakes at Tamworth (bit of a run I know but earlyam starts so no traffic) they always seem to be recruiting.

xichrisxi:
I drove for 16 years 6 years class 2 ten class 1 and never once did a night out so it is do able,I’d look for a job that starts early morning and finishes late afternoon…Bread or Milk deliveries for example or builders merchants are generally office hours,try Blakemores (spar) at Willenhall or Brakes at Tamworth (bit of a run I know but earlyam starts so no traffic) they always seem to be recruiting.

Ah nice one, thank you for your post! :slight_smile:

I’d like to get my class 1 at some point definitely. Will have a look at these places cheers

A lot of tipper are day jobs or the council bin wagons

Waste recycle hook /skip work

Pallet networks food deliveries 3663/bidfood/bidvest wiseman milk ( as has been said ) builders or SIG they start about 7.00 Finnish by 16.00

animal:
A lot of tipper are day jobs or the council bin wagons

Waste recycle hook /skip work

Pallet networks food deliveries 3663/bidfood/bidvest wiseman milk ( as has been said ) builders or SIG they start about 7.00 Finnish by 16.00

Also a good shout, many thanks animal!

Another question that popped up for me - I passed my class 2 February 2018, I haven’t yet driven a truck since… How do some of you feel after time away? Is it like riding a bike? (I know it’s a truck for the sarcastic out there lol).

I figure I would be ok but just wondered what people thought

Matt87:
Another question that popped up for me - I passed my class 2 February 2018, I haven’t yet driven a truck since… How do some of you feel after time away? Is it like riding a bike? (I know it’s a truck for the sarcastic out there lol).

I had a year off driving went back driving class one no problems…you don’t forget anything as said like riding a bike

xichrisxi:

Matt87:

I had a year off driving went back driving class one no problems…you don’t forget anything as said like riding a bike

Brill, really appreciate it. Can’t wait to get going now :slight_smile:

Matt87:

xichrisxi:

Matt87:

I spent 4 years away from driving and my first shift back in a class 1 i felt like i was just back from a long weekend away :smiley:

ok my reversing was crap for the first few shifts but at least i didn’t hit anything :laughing:

Tooz:

Matt87:

xichrisxi:

Matt87:

I spent 4 years away from driving and my first shift back in a class 1 i felt like i was just back from a long weekend away :smiley:

ok my reversing was crap for the first few shifts but at least i didn’t hit anything :laughing:

Fair play lol, always nice not to hit things! Thanks man, helps to know :slight_smile:

Hmm. I used to be in catering. ■■■■ work life balance as didn’t see much of my family in the week or weekends.

Started driving class 2 13 months ago. Only work one Saturday a month so see a lot of my family at weekends.

I’m never around in the morning to help get one son ready for nursery. But I’m usually finished early enough to pick him up a couple of times in the week. And baring really bad days I’m home for dinner and his bath bed time. Plus a little time with the wife befire I go to bed.

Overall my work life balance is better since I started driving.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
Hmm. I used to be in catering. [zb] work life balance as didn’t see much of my family in the week or weekends.

Started driving class 2 13 months ago. Only work one Saturday a month so see a lot of my family at weekends.

I’m never around in the morning to help get one son ready for nursery. But I’m usually finished early enough to pick him up a couple of times in the week. And baring really bad days I’m home for dinner and his bath bed time. Plus a little time with the wife befire I go to bed.

Overall my work life balance is better since I started driving.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nice one mate, glad you’ve got that going for you!

The shifts I used to work on the buses were ridiculous, barely had time for a meal on an evening sometimes. I moved into office work and while the hours are regular, I find it dull as dishwater and to be honest I think me and my wife take it for granted how much I’m about now so we don’t utilise the time as much as we could… In some cases if I did a 4 on 4 off maybe I’d be about more.

I’ve wanted to be a truck driver for as long as I remember, just need to find the right opportunity now and put my license to use ^.^ I miss not feeling AS expendable, office work is a popularity contest! Also helps that I love driving :smiley: :sunglasses:

Guys, I’m looking online but hopefully I’ll get the answer here quicker.

I’m looking to do my C+E April time, I passed my class C in 2018 with my CPC… Will I have to do additional CPC for my C+E?

Matt87:

I’m looking to do my C+E April time, I passed my class C in 2018 with my CPC… Will I have to do additional CPC for my C+E?

NO

CPC is for LGV as a whole not a category of LGV

ROG:

Matt87:

NO

CPC is for LGV as a whole not a category of LGV

Thanks ROG, I was hoping that was the case but thought there might be something additional as it’s a more complex vehicle.

Is £1300 about right for C+E? (To save people a read, I already have my class 2 from Feb 2018)

Matt87:
Is £1300 about right for C+E? (To save people a read, I already have my class 2 from Feb 2018)

this help - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=152129&p=2553583#p2553583

ROG:

Matt87:

this help - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=152129&p=2553583#p2553583

Thank you once again ROG! :smiley: