Curtainsider

I am due to start my first proper driving job on the 11th, just would like some heads up with curtainsiders. I will be loading my own truck with a Moffet and unloading at some drops offs. How to strap down pallet loads of bagged animal feed or animal bedding? Will the straps brake through the bags, will I need to strap through the pallet? Tia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George98:
I am due to start my first proper driving job on the 11th, just would like some heads up with curtainsiders. I will be loading my own truck with a Moffet and unloading at some drops offs. How to strap down pallet loads of bagged animal feed or animal bedding? Will the straps brake through the bags, will I need to strap through the pallet? Tia

Bagged animal feed will probably need a rachet strap over them.I say that because Vosa will no doubt say that’s whats required should you ever get pulled in.As for the bedding i’d use the internal straps unless they are over 400kg as then its again ratchet straps.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Im a new driver, but to be honest, if youll think that load gonna move, strap it. I went to one place, and guy in the warehouse told me that I dont need to strap it, so said to him “are you a driver? I know what I have to do” sometimes dont listen people around you, or ask some drivers on your first day, tell them thats your first job etc and need some advice, and never stress, ask.
And one thing, if someone loaded you, or is loading while youre waiting in the cab, check it or tell them how you want to be loaded, or youll have something like this :smiley:

I would consider putting a pallet, or some kind of protection, on top of both types of loads and ratcheting em down.

Would agree that pallets on top would be a good idea since animal feeds and similar. They’ll settle quite a lot so ratchets will come lose normally, thus no use without the pallets.

Dont worry if other people dont strap up - its their licence to lose. Curtains will not hold stuff like that coming through them.

If you have internals, I would also use them as a backup.

Ideally,pallets should be bridged where possible,so the top one rests on the two below.
Does anybody still use corner boards?

Thanks for all the advice, do most curtainsiders have internal straps in then? Is it best with bagged feed that will settle to drive down the road and re tighten?

Don’t know whether anyone will see this as it’s been a while, no matter how tight I do the curtains and straps up I’m still getting the curtains blowing out at the front partially blocking a bit of my mirror is this normal or should I ask for a repair of some description? Tia

Give your front winder another couple of clicks?

Is there a big gap between the front strap and the post at the front of the trailer? Reducing that by winding more curtain onto the front post then the back might help.
But then you risk it flapping at the rear more too!

Another idea, lengthen the strap and then hook it on forward of the catch so it’s on an angle, then the strap will hold more of the curtain flat

George98:
Don’t know whether anyone will see this as it’s been a while, no matter how tight I do the curtains and straps up I’m still getting the curtains blowing out at the front partially blocking a bit of my mirror is this normal or should I ask for a repair of some description? Tia

If the body has been bashed then it won’t be square, and although the base of the front sheet pole may be tight, the top won’t. Is this the problem here?
Just standing back and using the Mk1 eyeball may show this up.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

George98:
…I’m still getting the curtains blowing out at the front partially blocking a bit of my mirror

Sounds like the curtain is old and stretched. Get this all the time with ours on the older trailers - total pain. Good luck getting anyone to fix it, ie not much of a hope.

If its got a ratchet on the curtain at the back then tension most on that but a lot don’t. Assuming the ratchet works.

If theres a hole in the curtain at the top it will do this (might get that fixed as it can rip).

Eventually you’ll get a better truck with better curtains, but initially it’ll be the crap. Btw, if the curtain actually slides without putting your shoulder out, thats a bonus. :slight_smile: