Using a tacho card in slot 2 doing multi drop

Hi looking for advice I have just started a new job doing multi drop and have been told to not put my card in slot two like I have in every other job because as a passanger I will be making phone calls and doing other work and the tacho would record it as poa and that would be wrong so I have to do manual entries to show my activitys for the day is this right

Flow:
Hi looking for advice I have just started a new job doing multi drop and have been told to not put my card in slot two like I have in every other job because as a passanger I will be making phone calls and doing other work and the tacho would record it as poa and that would be wrong so I have to do manual entries to show my activitys for the day is this right

You must still use slot 2 but then do manual entries either via the unit of by using digiroll

ROG:

Flow:

You must still use slot 2 but then do manual entries either via the unit of by using digiroll

How can you make manual entries via the head unit if you’ve already recorded the time as POA by inserting your card in Slot 2?

Why do you say that he “must” use Slot 2? What do the Regs say?

I’ve been reading up on it and the regs state that any other work must be recorded manual on the back of a print out the company I’m working for says it doesn’t matter but I got a feeling there just telling me any old rubbish and that I’m going to end up getting in trouble for it I just wanted to make sure I was right that I must write a manual entry on a print out and keep a copy

I did multi manning the other day, used slot 2 as other work as I was navigating and phone calls, then put card in slot 1 as this is the default for driver when we swapped,

The regs state Where a driver is navigating or acting as a driver trainer for an operator, then the driver is undertaking “other work” and the time should be recorded as such, ie the crossed hammers mode should be used. However, as the newer tachographs will default, the second driver’s mode to PoA when in motion, the driver trainer, for example, will be required to record this activity manually on either the grid on the reverse of the chart, or on the reverse of a print-out when in a vehicle with a digital tachograph. So how would you do this or would you just put a line through the relevant place on the print out

ensure that their driver card is inserted into the correct slot (driver in slot 1, second driver in slot 2 from the moment they take over the vehicle, and that it is ready for use, before the vehicle is moved

From GV262

If not ever driving during the shift then it seems no need to use slot 2

Sorry heres the full quote of when another driver is in the passanger seat.When travelling as a crew member when the vehicle is multi-manned (ie more than one driver in the vehicle), but is undertaking no work, such as navigating or assessing, or training a driver in the company procedures, this may be recorded as PoA. It is important to note that it has been published in Government guidelines (see gov.uk, also known as GV262) where it states that when travelling in a multi-manned vehicle, the first 45 minutes of a period of availability is considered as a qualifying driving break for the purpose of the 4½ hours driving regulation. Therefore, it is possible for the driver to undertake his driving, swap seats and take his 45-minute break, under the PoA mode, within a moving vehicle, providing the driver meets the multi-manning specifications within the legislation. Where a driver is navigating or acting as a driver trainer for an operator, then the driver is undertaking “other work” and the time should be recorded as such, ie the crossed hammers mode should be used. However, as the newer tachographs will default, the second driver’s mode to PoA when in motion, the driver trainer, for example, will be required to record this activity manually on either the grid on the reverse of the chart, or on the reverse of a print-out when in a vehicle with a digital tachograph.

ROG:

ensure that their driver card is inserted into the correct slot (driver in slot 1, second driver in slot 2 from the moment they take over the vehicle, and that it is ready for use, before the vehicle is moved

From GV262

If not ever driving during the shift then it seems no need to use slot 2

1. That’s what GV262 says, not what is specified in the Regs.

2. That particular sub-paragraph in GV262 has this as the preamble:

“When driving a vehicle that is equipped with a digital tachograph, drivers should:”

Note that it specifically states “should” and not “must” - As in all official government publications (classic examples being the Highway Code and the GV262) the difference in meaning is significant. “Should” indicates best practice or what is advisable/recommended, “Must” indicates legal requirement.

Besides all that, the over-riding legal requirement is to correctly record the activity. Navigating, making work-related phone calls, preparing and completing paperwork, even simply providing an extra pair of eyes for the driver in a target rich environment are all “work” activities and must be recorded as such.

And you still haven’t said how you propose to do a manual input via the head unit when you’ve already recorded the time as POA on your card… :wink:

Oh - and as a supplementary question, how do you know at the start of the shift (when you say the co-driver must put his card in Slot 2) whether or not you'll be driving later on?

It does say I can do a print out and Mark it down on the graph on the back I no it’s not the best way to do it because it only goes by 15 minuite intervals or I could do a manual entry for the entire day and put it down as work poa or break my self seems like a bit of a mind field to me tbh but what I’m aski g is what would be the best way to do this so I won’t get in trouble for it

John Lewis
Mucho multi drop every day in London and surrounding 'burbs
Every day double manned

Second guy doesn’t use Slot 2 but does a manual entry at end of the day (Or start of next shift, his call) showing Other Work and Rest periods.

Trust me, if it wasn’t legal then it would not be allowed :open_mouth: