In a bit of predicament...?

Hi all,

I’m currently in the process of trying to gain my Class C & C+E through companies who offer it. Due to being unemployed and having a terrible credit score I can’t attempt to fund it myself[emoji849].

I’m based in Dumfries & Galloway in South West Scotland and contacted an Irish company who are about 50-60 miles from where I’m living at the moment, the agreement with them was, pass your theory & get your digi card and we’ll fund your tests as long as you stay with us for 2 years. The money is decent, above average at this company and the shift pattern is 4on 4off tramping. I kept my options open and a company got in touch with me which are based about 30 miles from me, with the same agreement, only thing is their money is below average and the shift pattern is the usual 5on 2off tramping.

So do I bite the bullet go with the Irish company and travel 120 miles a week or go with the company who pay lesser wages for the experience and being a bit closer to home? Also if any commenters know of any companies in the Dumfries & Galloway area that offer this sort of driver training then give me a shout!

Over & out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungTang:
Hi all,

I’m currently in the process of trying to gain my Class C & C+E through companies who offer it. Due to being unemployed and having a terrible credit score I can’t attempt to fund it myself[emoji849].

I’m based in Dumfries & Galloway in South West Scotland and contacted an Irish company who are about 50-60 miles from where I’m living at the moment, the agreement with them was, pass your theory & get your digi card and we’ll fund your tests as long as you stay with us for 2 years. The money is decent, above average at this company and the shift pattern is 4on 4off tramping. I kept my options open and a company got in touch with me which are based about 30 miles from me, with the same agreement, only thing is their money is below average and the shift pattern is the usual 5on 2off tramping.

So do I bite the bullet go with the Irish company and travel 120 miles a week or go with the company who pay lesser wages for the experience and being a bit closer to home? Also if any commenters know of any companies in the Dumfries & Galloway area that offer this sort of driver training then give me a shout!

Over & out.

To be fair if your tramping 4 on 4 off that’s not a bad drive each way. I do 75 miles each way for Monday to Friday tramping.

How much do you need the money? Do your want the 4 on 4 off? Do you have a partner who doesn’t work weekends? That’s what you also need to think about

Put it this way,

4on 4off will probably end up in you sharing a cab, or at worst cab hoping.
5on 2off will probably end up in you being assigned a unit.

How long would the commute to either, in traffic or adverse weather?

kcrussell25:

YoungTang:
Hi all,

Over & out.

To be fair if your tramping 4 on 4 off that’s not a bad drive each way. I do 75 miles each way for Monday to Friday tramping.

How much do you need the money? Do your want the 4 on 4 off? Do you have a partner who doesn’t work weekends? That’s what you also need to think about

Do need the money as I’d like to get off on the right foot in life, currently rent a flat etc with my partner I’m also still quite young, 19. Partner works 1 in 3 weekends so would suit sometimes, 4 on 4 off also sounds quite decent, I used to work that rota at a sawmill.

mardybum:
Put it this way,

4on 4off will probably end up in you sharing a cab, or at worst cab hoping.
5on 2off will probably end up in you being assigned a unit.

How long would the commute to either, in traffic or adverse weather?

Cab hopping or sharing wouldn’t bother me, not sure they keep many units this side of the water either, so maybe would be sharing it with another driver. It’s a straight drive up the A75 which can be quite unpredictable in and weather, commute would take me just over an hour.

Gist do offer training know they have office in Carlisle also ■■■■■■■■■■■ Motherwell not sure of the pay mind you may want to look into this as work easy tbh

the “irish” or northern irish company ( you may consider knowing what one is what and who you describe it to some of the more sensitive ones on the ferries ) will have you running out of cairnryan for the boat traffic.
unless your either very carefull or very lucky you will more than likely be banned within 3 month so the 2 year contract may become a bit of an issue.
the local lower than average co means its a garbage job,but at the same time,you wont be chasing boats and may last a tad longer.
consider the safer option for the longer term then 2 years will pass and you will know the script a bit better.
if your 4 on and off for manfreight or anything similar regarding the usual suspects,then your only going to be a piece of hiviz kebab meat in the seat and only as good as your last trip to them,plus theres a lot of night running and starting your shift at silly o1clock then trying to kip during the day,( no fun parked up during the summer outside a rdc).