Next step to HGV

Hi all,
New to the forum.
I’m currently a self employed taxi driver. I thought about doing my hgv years a couple years ago, so I done my theory and hazard preseption test (passed) and I believe it runs out in May 2019…

the reason I didn’t go through with my practical because i sooned found out that HgV drivers like to moan and be more doom and gloom than cabbies, so wasn’t 100% commited as I didn’t want to waste £1500-2k on my practical, and it was hard to find work, ■■■■ wages, longer hours, etc…

At the moment I’m currently doing 50-60 hours a week in the cab and just keeping my head above water and with all the uber bolox coming in it’s going to get harder. I’m 34 and now want to have a complete change, and going down the HGv V is a massive option for me. (Prefervally on the books, 5 days a week, mon-fri etc) I’m not shy of working hours but just fed up of work Saturdays and Sundays just to make average wage.

So my questions to you guys:

1. my theory runs out in May this year,but I fear Ive forgot most of the theory side now, and not sure wether to book the practical test and just crack on, or would you recommend doing it again and not rushing it. I feel a bit pressured as I’ve only got till May to pass now…

2. I live in Essex, Romford area. Are there a list of agencies that would take on newly passed hgv drivers.

3. what is the average pay around London/Essex/Thurrock. Any pointers would be great. I’ve also told that getting on the skip lorries is a good way of starting

4. what would I be looking at now on average take home pay?

5. i would go with roadtrain in Thurrock

6. if I was doing agency work to get my foot in the door but turned up in my taxi (as I have bought it) and would need to still drive the cab, just to cover me until I get more regular permanent work, would agencies companies frown upon this due to driving hours?

7. any other cabbies done heir hgv and not looked back? And stories or advice would be highly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks
Ryan

Cant give accurate advice on most of the questions but I can tell you that Roadtrain is a decent choice. Tell Nick, the owner, that I said he’d do you a deal. Don’t ask, don’t get.

Good luck with it,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

start as a truckie and get on with it,the only downside is your ■■■ life will diminish rapidly due to not filling your boots with pilled up tramps at the weekend.
get a £500 runaround to use as your personal car.
double shift your taxi and rent it out to give you a wage out of that.
do a shift when you get the chance for cash pin money.
finger in two pies. :wink: