WTD transgressions

Just a quick missive on my latest misdemeanors. Peeps with more experience are welcomed to express their opinions.
My latest assignment is a mainly national door deposition of 10-12 hour days depending on destination (tramps). I’ve been pulled for WTD infractions 5 times in the last month. I’ll admit, it’s not my finest hour and looking at the data I can see why.
They tend to be in the afternoon after the first 4.5 and forgetting the 6 hour rule after the last break.
Now, for someone whose into his third year or driving you can tell me I should know better but I still consider myself a noob and the above situation occurs (for me) under two certain conditions.

1. I’m ■■■■■■■ tired and pull up early having either a 15, 30 or 45 before the day has started leaving the bulk of the day on duty and forgetting where I am with regard to WTD
  2. A varied mix of hammers/driving, in a 15 plate daf with no OBC to work it all out- I’m no 3 pointed ■■■■■■■■ apologist but at least the actros I last drove did all the hard work.

I know I’m going to get some crap for this but, in an effort to make other noobs aware, go easy.

Seems as though you are ok for EU tacho regs :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
WTD = authorities not interested

It is all too easy to lose track of working time. I’ve been caught out a number of times myself, and it is always due to working more than 6 hours later in the shift. It’s easy to keep an eye on driving hours as tacho info is displayed on the dashboard in the MAN I drive. Hopefully you have a tacho that at least displays the driving time…

Although the authorities aren’t really interested in WTD infringements, my work run a points system - and points do not make prizes :smiling_imp: . Each infringement, WTD or driving hours, gets you more points until you have to undergo training (or eventually get fired if you keep going). Fortunately the points disappear after a few weeks, so as long as you’re sensible it isn’t a problem.

I use an app called Break Assist (rstoc.co.uk/break-assist/) to remind me that a 6hr period is running out. If you don’t want to use an app, you could set a countdown timer on your phone.

Another approach is to take two x 1/2 hour breaks, one before you reach 6 hours, and the second before you hit 9 hours. But this isn’t always convenient, and you still have to be careful if you’re working a long shift.

Just write down when you finished your last break and set an alarm for 5-5.5 hours time. Job done.

All those saying the authorities aren’t interested is a bad attitude as if you have an accident and you haven’t had your break and have a history of “skipping” legally required breaks I expect they will throw the book at you…

kcrussell25:
Just write down when you finished your last break and set an alarm for 5-5.5 hours time. Job done.

All those saying the authorities aren’t interested is a bad attitude as if you have an accident and you haven’t had your break and have a history of “skipping” legally required breaks I expect they will throw the book at you…

I’m not advocating that you flaunt the regulations. I just find it absurd that we have regulations that are enforced by no official body, and the only people interested in it are my employers…

I’ve been doing this 3 years and if i dont get 1 WTD infringement per week I consider it slacking. Its usually after the first break, you work another 6 hours that can catch you out (does me).

Unless your company are making a big thing rather than just “sign this” then wouldn’t worry. Apparently I exceeded the number of points for WTD infringments a while back…still awaiting the “training”.

Beyond that, i’d just scribble the last break on a bit of paper then you’ll know but you’ll likely forget to write at least one down and be in the same situation. :slight_smile: