Automatic HGV licence with automatic car licence

Hello everyone,

I do keep wondering about becoming a driver, i currently work in a truck stop and have been a life long fan of trucks.
However something i have not yet found out is if i can apply for an automatic HGV truck licence with an automatic car licence?

I know most haulers run autos now and it would only be that i’d be interested in really. I have an automatic car licence but i was wondering if this is allowed or classed as a “full” car licence?

Appreciate any help

Regards
James

You can only drive automatic cars and if you pass a HGV test in an automatic you’ll only be able to drive automatic HGVs.

Agency work would be pretty much ruled out for you because you have to be able to drive whatever vehicle you’re given.

To be honest, given that you took the easy root with a car test and now you’re only interested in taking the easy root with the HGV test perhaps you’re better off staying where you are … just a thought.

To be honest, given that you took the easy root with a car test and now you’re only interested in taking the easy root with the HGV test perhaps you’re better off staying where you are … just a thought.

Ouch! It is possible that OP has good reasons to stay on auto. Totally agree that agencies could be iffy. But he wont be the first to go auto car to auto truck.

To answer the Op’s question, you don’t apply for an auto licence. It is simply provisional C. But when you get your licence it will be restricted to auto.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Ouch! It is possible that OP has good reasons to stay on auto. Totally agree that agencies could be iffy. But he wont be the first to go auto car to auto truck.

To answer the Op’s question, you don’t apply for an auto licence. It is simply provisional C. But when you get your licence it will be restricted to auto.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Peter

Pass your C and then go straight on to pass your CE.

Having an auto lorry licence is a big advantage as you won’t have to drive any lorries with knackered manual boxes. Any decent employer nowadays only uses auto lorries.

I wish my lorry licence was restricted to auto, but unfortunately I had a manual car licence so had no choice.

tachograph:
You can only drive automatic cars and if you pass a HGV test in an automatic you’ll only be able to drive automatic HGVs.

Agency work would be pretty much ruled out for you because you have to be able to drive whatever vehicle you’re given.

I didn’t take the easy route i just don’t like/wish to drive manuals. I like big engined cars and classic ones which usually come with auto boxes (got a rover v8 and Jaguar S type)

Driving a manual is a choice not the law. Agency isn’t what i’d be looking for really.

Thanks

carlston49:
Pass your C and then go straight on to pass your CE.

Having an auto lorry licence is a big advantage as you won’t have to drive any lorries with knackered manual boxes. Any decent employer nowadays only uses auto lorries.

I wish my lorry licence was restricted to auto, but unfortunately I had a manual car licence so had no choice.

Thanks, well it’s nice to know its doable. I hear most are in autos nowadays.

Thanks

If you do end up with LGV auto then you do have the option in the future to retest in a manual car or lorry to upgrade the lot to manual

Yeah thats good to know thanks

I also like classics. This is one of mine and it’s certainly auto!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Nothing like the old eaton twin splitter. Vroom vroom

Try a Fuller Roadranger if you want a broken heart (and arm!)

Thats a beauty Peter

Yeah the only down side is that i won’t be able to drive an old truck, do fancy one someday. But then i doubt i could afford one with the cars too

Well, if we’re into a discussion about older vehicles, here’s another one of mine. But not auto, pre-select. Not looking too bad for 84 years old!

And before anyone asks, no I haven’t had it from new!!

Considering how complicated manual gearbox in the lorry is (or seems to be to me), I think I’ll be learning something absolutely new. My friend, a lorry driver, said to me that there would be two things I’ll find difficult in my training: gearbox and all the rules (loading, health&safety etc).

So many “drivers” are scared of a manual gearbox it seams. Are they really suitable for 44t?

Yes Matt.

Its just technology isnt it. To be fair most companies love the auto box. Fuel economy is key.

I remember driving my first auto box in an actros way back and hit a gradient and the box ■■■■ itself and i got stuck fully laden with all the traffic behind me cursing.

I do love a manual box but times are changing and we as drivers need to change too.

I meant manual boxes :slight_smile:

m_attt:
I meant manual boxes :slight_smile:

Yes manual boxes are better.

m_attt:
So many “drivers” are scared of a manual gearbox it seams. Are they really suitable for 44t?

First day out after passing my C+E was in a four over four Daf XF.

Drove it for the next 18 months and found it better to drive than an auto.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk