Recently passed driver struggling with work

Hi folks

Passed my class 2, cpc and hiab mid December in Darlington and after registering with a dozen or so agencies and sending several emails I’m at that stage of lacking experience.

Had conversations with agency staff about placing me for 3.5t work but ultimately my goal is class 2. Any pointers for getting my foot in the door would be highly appreciated folks.

Newcastle Durham Darlington area.

Cheers
James

Best to state which area you are in,people may be able to guide you to certain companies…

Have you gone to companies with CV in hand ready to hand to the TM as well as all your work gear in the boot :question:
Especially early monday morning

:smiley: :smiley:

Aspen Wolf in Seaham

But it is quiet this time of year tbh nearly always has been

If you have the funds I would say go for your C+E as this will open more doors

HGV Driver (Customer Service Delivery Driver)
JJ Food Service42 reviews - Newcastle upon Tyne
£24,000 a year - Permanent
Apply On Company Site

talentpack.com/Applicant/Job … b%20Widget

Established in 1989, we are an award-winning food service provider which has shown immense growth with over 800 employees and revenue of £200 million

We are currently seeking a HGV Driver (Customer Service Delivery Driver) to join us and be a part of the company`s transition into new markets and its next phase of growth.

To succeed within this role, you will be need to have tolerance for heavy traffic, long distance and customers and never want to stop learning.

This position will suit you if you are/have:

Clean HGV Class 2 licence
Valid CPC training and Digital Tacho card
Multi drop experience is preferable
Physically active due to nature of the job including heavy lifting
Good Geographic knowledge of the area
Good People and customer service skills
We offer a salary of £24,000.00

Monday to Friday (no nights or weekends)
Permanent Contract (no agencies)
28 days paid annual leave (including Bank Holidays increasing to 33 paid days for each completed year of service)
Enrolment into Pension Scheme
Free secure parking
JJ Discount Portal
Continues developments and long term career prospects
Initial training will be provided

My point of view is this…
How badly do you need a wage coming in?
How badly do you want to drive Cat C?
Are the Agency willing to pay you Cat C wages to drive a van?

You see where I’m going with this, mate?

Best of luck, though, stick at it.

This is one of my main concerns. I’m looking to do my test in the next couple of month and I’m guessing I may have to go down the agency route until I get experience. It’s going to be hard giving up a job with no guarantees of work especially with bills to pay.
With a bit of luck work will pick up by the time I pass my test and it won’t be such an issue (touch wood).
Hope you find something soon though.

Maccer:
This is one of my main concerns. I’m looking to do my test in the next couple of month and I’m guessing I may have to go down the agency route until I get experience. It’s going to be hard giving up a job with no guarantees of work especially with bills to pay.
With a bit of luck work will pick up by the time I pass my test and it won’t be such an issue (touch wood).

Whatever job you have now don’'t give it up until you find your next wage. !!!

steviespain:

Maccer:

Whatever job you have now don’'t give it up until you find your next wage. !!!

This!

Cheers people.

Aspen wolf I’ve registered with and nothing from them even tho I keep applying.

Jj food services applied for and again nothing back

Registered with driver hire Newcastle today and sounded promising.

Job wise I’m currently unemployed. Made the decision to get my training done while the other half was still working. Bad idea as it stands right now.

Be off to a couple of local employers in the next week. I’m not getting put off just a bit put out right now.

Best connectoin in newcastle

But it is quiet atm

Cheers animal registered with them last week and put my name forward for couple of jobs so far even with the horror reviews I’ve come across while searching for work

January is the quietest time of the year for lorry driving. If you were applying in June, July and August you would have received lots of replies from many desperate employers and agencies as during the summer months many drivers are on holiday. The work situation usually picks up after Easter.

3 interviews sorted for the next week so things are looking up

Try smaller family companies as well. Sometimes more willing to overlook the lack of experience.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

There is work where i live in Leicester. Just passed my class 2 in January. And got a start date for class 2 work after my cpc course. Its a little less in wages but a lot better hours but what do you expect for a new driver…

Not sure if you got sorted but here’s a few places you could try as a new pass…

Stiller’s & Fracks in Newton Aycliffe
George Allinson in Darlington

Also there’s tipper work a plenty in your local vicinity…

Scott Bros,Hewitson’s & Charlie Russell’s on Teeside
Shire Aggregates,Greenford’s,Teward’s & Bikers close to you in North Yorkshire.

And if your on Facebook join the North East Truckers group as there is always vacancies posted on there.

Kid I worked with,never bothered applying for a class 2 job.
Went straight onto class 1 general for a year…and now earns good money on car transporters(4 on 4 off)
Time with his young family…and a fat pay packet.
He loves it.

Start on the 11th at jj foods so the training and job hunting paid of nicely

Cheers folks

Congratulations mate :exclamation: