Struggling with C+E reverse

So it’s been my 3rd day of my course driving an artic, only been upto the reversing pad once and I didn’t get it at all. I honestly don’t feel prepared for my test 1st thing Friday morning.

Any tips would be really really helpful. I’ve saved up to do this course but genuinely feel like I may have made a mistake with my training provider as it’s just not sinking in.

I’d be hoping for at least a good couple of hours at the reversing pad tomorrow,speak to your instructor about this or you may well be posting a “failed test in reverse” thread on here…only way you’ll get better is practice.

Have a word with the owner. Learning to drive an artic has some major elements: steering and reversing. Of course, there’s plenty of other stuff but doesn’t normally take too long. But to be on day 3 with one go at the reversing is not good.

In my world, by day 3 we would have spent up to 6 or 7 hours if necessary. But we don’t visit a pad and have the advantage of our own reversing areas on site.

Have a word - and good luck with it. Don’t give up.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Have a word with the owner. Learning to drive an artic has some major elements: steering and reversing. Of course, there’s plenty of other stuff but doesn’t normally take too long. But to be on day 3 with one go at the reversing is not good.

In my world, by day 3 we would have spent up to 6 or 7 hours if necessary. But we don’t visit a pad and have the advantage of our own reversing areas on site.

Have a word - and good luck with it. Don’t give up.

Hi Pete thankyou for your advice.

If I do fail I shall be giving you guys a call. Genuinely unhappy with the training I’ve received Been paying for 4hours a day but I’ve actually only had 3hrs 40mins each day which just annoys me. Especially when the reversing is an issue I believe I have. He keeps saying the right thing but actions are very different.

Many thanks

All I can say, believe in yourself. I was same, but on the test day it somehow clicked all together and it was one smooth test [emoji5]. Try to sort it in your head, visualize how you will do this step by step.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

milesahead:
All I can say, believe in yourself. I was same, but on the test day it somehow clicked all together and it was one smooth test [emoji5]. Try to sort it in your head, visualize how you will do this step by step.

Hi mate

Did it really. Well that gives me some confidence as mimes on the floor at the moment. Tempted to drive upto the reversing pad myself and just watch a few people do it

Mattblues90:

milesahead:

Hi mate

Did it really. Well that gives me some confidence as mimes on the floor at the moment. Tempted to drive upto the reversing pad myself and just watch a few people do it

If you have time, do it. Even watching someone helps a lot to understand all this process. YouTube as well great help.

Do you have a friend with a car/van + caravan/large trailer :question:

If yes then the reverse of that uses the same principals as reversing a CE set up

Honestly the more I think about it the more it concerns me. I had an hour and a bit on it Tuesday. And I’ll be looking at the same 2mrw as the reversing pad is nearly an hour away from the training company. Feel very anxious about this. The pressure is just mounting up!

I’m sure we all wish Mattblues90 all the best and hope for a good outcome. But, if nothing else, let this serve as a warning to others. I keep banging on about it but this type of carry on is the reason why.

Find a trainer who has their own reversing area - correctly surfaced and marked. Ensure there is unrestricted use. Many trainers pay by the hour for the use of a bit of redundant airfield. It just isn’t the same. The travelling to the area isn’t, of itself, a huge issue as you need to drive anyway. But it might be more useful to be driving in the area in which you’ll be taking your test.

Please, buyer beware.

And all the best to Mattblues90.

mate I have been there two months ago.
failed the first test on reversing excercise. Did it perfectly on the retest with just one shunt.

Driving at work is different though. I do Still need few shunts from time to time - although some tight places I am able to do it without them.

Here is what I did - bought myself a driving wheel, got Euro Truck Simulator and practiced for about half an hour daily. It did help.

I was the same mate, sleepless nights and all sorts I had regarding the reverse. Worrying about it obviously didn’t help and yes I failed on it 1st time. Stick in there mate and it will come good. All the best for your test.

Would just like to thank everyone for your help.

Pete you have been superb throughout the process everyone I talk too I shall send your way.

Thankfully I passed today.

See you all on the road. No More class2 for me

Congratulations! And breath…or get ■■■■■■■ :slight_smile:

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Congratulations, well done!!

Brilliant result. Well done!

[emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]Congratulations![emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

TatteredPrince:
failed the first test on reversing excercise. Did it perfectly on the retest with just one shunt.

Driving at work is different though. I do Still need few shunts from time to time - although some tight places I am able to do it without them.

Here is what I did - bought myself a driving wheel, got Euro Truck Simulator and practiced for about half an hour daily. It did help.

Euro truck sim, is it right hand drive?

shullbit:

TatteredPrince:

Euro truck sim, is it right hand drive?

I only played the UK map and it was RHD.
I suppose if you choose one of the other countries as your starting point it might be opposite.
Oh and it was ETS 2.