New pass struggling to find work

New pass class 1 in the west midlands struggling with finding work. Every agency I’ve rang either require experience or are extremely quiet, according to them. Has anyone got any recommendations for agencies that’ll take on new drivers?

Cheers

This has always been a very quite time of year even for experienced drivers

West Midlands where about? Try go on staffline website and apply there, I see at least one driver on assessment in my DHL site every day. Probably will have to wait (approx 1/2 weeks) but job is alright.

Many firms take on directly new passes ,Where abouts are you ? West mids is a big place …

Beetlejuice:
Many firms take on directly new passes ,Where abouts are you ? West mids is a big place …

As mentioned, many firms do take on new passes. I personally went to the companies armed with my CV, first one I walked into gave me the start. Not the greatest pay, but i am getting plenty of experience which is the main thing.

Based in Walsall but willing to travel to an extent. Tried staffline and had a call back from DHL fradley park. The woman said I’d need a full assessment being a new pass with no experience and there were no trainers available for a few weeks. Not sure how true that was.

try the supermarkets they are screaming out for drivers

Jb9313:
Based in Walsall but willing to travel to an extent. Tried staffline and had a call back from DHL fradley park. The woman said I’d need a full assessment being a new pass with no experience and there were no trainers available for a few weeks. Not sure how true that was.

I’ve been in their office and they don’t have space for assesents, my friend tried get work from them, went for registration and they told him, after 3 weeks they can book him for assessment. And to be honest it’s not that busy at the moment. They do JLR runs or Tescos, probably because of the Castle Bromwich plant. I’m class 2 driver, and yesterday I sat in the canteen for all day and after 6hours they sent me home.

Try apply for Brakes, they do food deliveries for stores (tail lift, and second man next to you for couple of weeks watching your hands) or palletways, but it may take longer than anything from agency. But forget about weekends off, theyll own you :smiley:

DHL Lidl, Wednesbury
Tuffnells, Leicester
Tuffnells, Coventry

All take on new passes.

Blakemores (Spar) always seem to be recruiting…

Freightline in Burntwood are advertising on indeed.com.
Blakemores are always advertising.
Palletways were advertising but think they are fully staffed now (where I work).

Register on indeed, I’m constantly getting emails of jobs all over the Midlands!

Thanks all for the replies. At the moment I’m after odd days and weekends, which means I’m relying on agencies. I’m registered with 3 and tried extra drivers Walsall and pertemps. Both said they had nothing for new passes try us again when you’ve got atleast 6 months experience. I understand it’s a quiet period, but I’ve had no driving work since passing in December. Am I missing a trick somewhere?

You could try Reynolds Catering Supplies or Bidvest. There should be a depot for either of these firms near to where you live. They are often screaming out for drivers.

Jb9313:
Thanks all for the replies. At the moment I’m after odd days and weekends, which means I’m relying on agencies. I’m registered with 3 and tried extra drivers Walsall and pertemps. Both said they had nothing for new passes try us again when you’ve got atleast 6 months experience. I understand it’s a quiet period, but I’ve had no driving work since passing in December. Am I missing a trick somewhere?

I toyed with doing similar, booked a couple of weeks off at my old job with the intention of testing the water with agencies, in the end you just gotta take the plunge. You’ve spent the money on getting your ticket…go for it!

If I’ve read between the lines incorrectly I do apologize, however a lot of us have been there recently. There’s loads of work out there but no one wants to take on someone who can’t commit to the hours.

It is very quiet everywhere ,The texts and emails dried up on the 24th of December to me .You are best going in direct to firms,Agencies are usually quiet now until Easter time .
It proves that the shortage of Drivers is fake ,As fake as indeed job adverts .

Try Greatbear part of the Culina group.
As Culina will and often take new out of the box passes they may do the same.
Have a look on indeed . Com

Thanks for the replies all. I was under the impression work dropped off in the new year but I didn’t think it was this bad. I’ll wait it out and see what the coming months bring. Thanks again

You would be better off applying to work for Lidl in one of their stores. More pay and less hours than this driving lark

Since starting this thread I have now registered with another agency. Not yet got a shift in, but only get last minute texts seeing if I can start within an hour, with no time to sort child care. Is this the norm when you start out driving. Or does work actually pick up around Easter?
Thanks in advance