Some noob questions

Do you have to get your Class 2 before you get your Class 1 C+E? If you do your Class 1 C+E are you automatically also qualified for the Class 2?

Also, what do they check during the medical? I’ve seen a few that want you to bring a summary of your full medical history but most I’ve seen don’t require you to bring that at all?

You need CAT C before you can learn CE. The provisional CE goes on your licence when full C is gained. Beware of “back to back” courses; they simply don’t exist in reality. The fact is that your licence (or evidence from the examiner) has to find it’s way to DVLA so they can add your entitlement together with the provisional CE. You must allow at least 3 weeks for this.

The medical doesn’t require a medical report. Depending on your doctor, you may or may not need a current opticians prescription if you wear glasses. Otherwise, it’s a straightforward questionnaire + blood pressure, weight and height.

Hope this helps; fire away with any further questions,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

For the medical you have to stand naked while a group of doctors examine you thoroughly.

Seriously, your weight, height, diabetes urine test, blood pressure and eyesight test, although I’d already got this at vision express , free test, so I didn’t have any test during my medical.

You then talk through any medical problems you have or don’t have, with the doctor. It’s pretty standard just act as normal and genuine as you should be acting anyway.

Thanks all. Here’s my next question.

I work at one of the big 4 food retailers in the warehouse, taking deliveries, which is where the seed of an idea to become an hgv driver got planted. We get deliveries from hgvs with refridgerated goods in, with in-trailer temps of about 2degreeC. Would a class 2 license let me drive these?

as opposed to the frozen deliveries we get, which are at -22C and these are obviously arctics. i’m near sure these are class ones.

There’s no restriction on the temp you can run a class 2 at, it’s just a bit shorter than a class 1 and usually only has one fan instead of two blowing freezing cold air at you. Have done plenty of -22’c jobs in class 2’s and its a lot nicer than walking all the way to the end of an artic on blast freezer mode.

Class 2 (C) only refers to it not bending at the front end and being over 7.5T. If the back bit comes away its a class 1 (technically C+E).