New driver infringements

hi all - many thanks for reply to speeding infringement - have finished my first week and have three break infringements but my transport manager has looked and cant tell me what I am doing wrong ! I have never driven over 3.5 hours without taking 45min break, and I have always made sure that I take my break within the first 6 hours of driving and other work…no one in my local town is available or can help… I don’t know what I am doing wrong and don’t particularly want to start my second week getting a lot of infingements …. any help would be appreciated!! many thanks pete

hi - have attached the printout for information - the transport manager told me I had three infringements but as I say couldn’t tell me what they were for or how ive done something wrong! I haven’t had any digi tacho training so it could be me…… many thanks

No infringements in that printout,did he actually mean from that day?

Hi - thanks maybe he meant from the Friday not Thursday - have attached that one - thank you for help!

Nope nothing there either…
Ask him what they are for if the computers thrown them up then it will say what they are for,if he asks you to sign for them just refuse until he explains why he claims you have them.

By far the easiest and most common infringements to get are WTD related.

Tell you what i do, after about 4 hours stop and slip a 15 minute break in, that then covers you for WTD purposes for up to 9 hours total, that way you can forget about WTD up to a point and concentrate on not exceeding the 4.5 hours driving rule, then when getting up around 4 hours drive you then have another 30 minute break…this suits me because we are not planned nor required to drive anywhere near 9 hours.
Unless you are going in for a really long day that may well be all the legal break you need, just make a note of when you completed the second break because the next WTD session is 6 hours away.

This does not include any POA you may wish to book, personally i don’t and nor does the company i work for want us using POA…which is a fiddle in most cases designed to make drivers work 70 hour bloody weeks like in the bad old days.

Also just cos i book only 45 mins (i may have more than that and usually do) break on most of my days, doesn’t mean you have to do this, take as long a break as you want, and keep in mind some operators, i believe XPO want this, do not like 15 minute breaks but want a min of 30.

Juddian:
after about 4 hours stop and slip a 15 minute break in, that then covers you for WTD purposes for up to 9 hours

EH!!
Taking a 15 after 4 hours will cover the 6 hour WTD rule for the next 6 hours after the 15 break

I think that on the 10/01/2019 you screwed up a manual entry.

The printout shows a manual entry for 6 hours of other work from 00:00 then 1 hour of what looks like POA from 06:00 to when you inserted your driver card at 07:00.

The printout starts at midnight (24 hour printout) so I’m guessing that you manually recorded other work from the end of the previous shift to 06:00 on the 10th.

Definitely a manual entry error, will have given a infringements for no daily rest, 6hr WTD, and probably a driving hours infringement, as will have added driving hours since last rest on to the hours for the next morning. Can’t be helped now just write manual entry error on the back of the print out along with your actual daily rest times, will be obvious anyway to DVLA if you do happen to get a pull.

ROG:

Juddian:
after about 4 hours stop and slip a 15 minute break in, that then covers you for WTD purposes for up to 9 hours

EH!!
Taking a 15 after 4 hours will cover the 6 hour WTD rule for the next 6 hours after the 15 break

So you can work 10 hours with one 15 minute break?

Juddian:

ROG:

Juddian:

EH!!

So you can work 10 hours with one 15 minute break?

You can if you’re going to be working long enough to get another 30 minutes of break in.

I’m not saying anyone should work 10 hours with only a 15 minute break just that you can if you don’t go over 4.5 hours driving in that time :wink:

Before the WTD a driver could do a 15 hour shift with no legally required break if the driving time never went over 4.5 hours

Now the legal rules state a driver cannot WORK more than 6 hours without a 15 min break
So this is now legal for a 15 hour shift where the driving time is under 4.5 hours -
work 6H
break 15M
work 6H
break 15M
work 2H
break 15M
work 15M

Well that’s surprised me, always under the impression that you had to have at least a further 15 minutes of break before 9 hours was up.
Certainly that has never come up at our generally very good DCPC courses, but then our lot wouldn’t want us flying so close to the sun anyway.

Thanks for the explanation gents, still won’t be taking advantage of this wonderful :wink: news, and will stick to my 15 minutes before 6 hours is up so don’t inadvertantly slip over the 6 hour rule at the delivery point, and the next break will be by 9hours too.

Re the original - they should give you a printout to sign which gives the infringements so until you get that don’t worry about it. Easiest way is pop card in, leave on other work for 5 - 10 mins while you do checks and then go, which prevents any mistakes with manual entries.

Re ,all new to me ,that is the first time I have seen a print out,would you just make it clear to me as you probly know I will not ever be driving again im 74,when you mention [work] do you mean driving ,or other duties =work. thank god I do not have to comply in fact I doubt I would be able to [I get sacked]how on earth do you get any where .pdb

peggydeckboy:
Re ,all new to me ,that is the first time I have seen a print out,would you just make it clear to me as you probly know I will not ever be driving again im 74,when you mention [work] do you mean driving ,or other duties =work. thank god I do not have to comply in fact I doubt I would be able to [I get sacked]how on earth do you get any where .pdb

I’m not sure which post you’re referring to but in reference to tachograph rules work generally means any activity other than driving, break/rest or POA.

The activities that can be shown on a printout are:
Driving.
Other work.
Break.
POA.
Rest.

Sent from my mobile.

So if your shift is 7hrs long you need 30min break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1284:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the total of work (other work+driving) is over 6 hours in that 7 hour shift then yes

mark1284:

Easiest way to work it is have a 15 min after say 4 hours then have another one after a further 4 hours then you’ll always be well within the WTD regs. Plus you get a break from the job which is always a good idea.

ROG:
Before the WTD a driver could do a 15 hour shift with no legally required break if the driving time never went over 4.5 hours

Now the legal rules state a driver cannot WORK more than 6 hours without a 15 min break
So this is now legal for a 15 hour shift where the driving time is under 4.5 hours -
work 6H
break 15M
work 6H
break 15M
work 2H
break 15M
work 15M

Actually Rog in times gonn by in the early 80s you had to have a break at 5 hrs as long As the 4.5hr drive hadn’t been done this could be a 25 or a 20.
Times when 3x25 or 3x20 were legal