Downsides to automatic?

My husband took his Class 2 exam for the second time yesterday and failed. He gets worried about the gears as he found them quite tricky to learn. Worrying about them makes him nervous and then nerves ensure he makes mistakes that he doesn’t make during training. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy as they say.

I asked for advice back in November and someone suggested changing to automatic. I think this could be the way forward for him as he can test without the gears and then use gears without the pressure if necessary if he gets a job where the lorries are manual. I will emphasise he can use the gears in training but under test conditions he gets this thing in his head and then he struggles.

We would need to change training school and I have found an alternative that seems promising. I just want to check before he goes for this option, are there any downsides to passing in an automatic? Will potential employers find this off-putting? Anyone passed their test in an automatic? Did it make the difference for you?

Thanks in advance.

As long as he has a manual car licence he gets a full C+E licence even if he passes in an auto.

Its one less thing to worry about as well.

All employers will see is the C+E entitlement.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Getting used to a manual is easier when not on training/test

GO FOR AUTO if got manual car

There are so many different types of manual and autos and only one will be taught whichever they go for

If you have a manual car licence, do your lessons and test in an automatic. You get a full manual lorry licence when you pass even though you have taken the test in an automatic. You are more likely to pass first time in an automatic. Some driving schools only have automatics for this very reason.

The test is hard enough without the added burden of having to multitask. You only have 14 hours of lessons so there’s not enough time to get used to using the manual gearbox without much conscious thought. ie. using the manual gearbox doesn’t become automatic in those 14 hours.

I passed my HGV C in a manual, but that was at PSTT which is much easier to pass first time than most.

Nowadays, I only drive automatics. Employers that don’t invest in nice lorries simply aren’t up to my standards.

Without a doubt, go for it. But ensure it’s with a good trainer with a good truck. Otherwise you’re no better off.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Make sure that you visit the trainer before parting with any cash

I had to take both my test in a manual as you couldn’t do it in a auto but that was back then this is now

Advice go for assessment in an auto see how he feels before making any decisions although there are thing you can do /get to help with nerves
could do C in auto the CE in manual

Why don’t you do it :question: plenty women drive now

Well this all sounds positive so I think this is what he will go for now. We found a training school nearby that he can go to. They have automatics and suggested he do a short assessment drive to make sure automatics are for him before commiting to anything. I think this could solve his problem and give him what he needs to finally pass that test. He has worked so hard these last few months, it’s about time he got that certificate.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Mabelhog:

Guy’s :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :cry: :cry: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

animal:

Mabelhog:

Guy’s :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :cry: :cry: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

While it may be mostly used to describe a group of men, guy’s can be used as a generic term to describe a group consisting of men and women :wink: