Reversing speed?

I’m curious to know how fast you experienced class 2 guys with a few years multi drop under your belt go about reversing?

I’ve been working a few weeks for a large waste company on the bin wagons collecting dry recycling. Today my loader commented that I’d be whizzing in and out of the collection points in no time once I was familiar with them.

Thing is, I can’t imagine wanting to go much quicker than I already am! With nine months experience of multi drop, often around Brum city centre, I’m not at all bad at manoeuvres - pretty quick at backing into side streets to turn around, and when reversing down a street I’m usually going a fair pace as long as it’s not too tight.

Thing is, I start work at 3am and have to drive for first few hours in the dark. Unlike most yards, the collection points are often unlit car parks and you’re not able to eyeball them before backing in off road to see what’s in there. Most of the reversing cameras are either broken or so dirty they’re only useful in daylight, so I’m frequently reversing blind with only a couple of foot visibility courtesy of the reversing lights. It seems very easy for a bollard or car to pop into my blind spot and often cars are parked in different places each time.

Due to the much greater number of manoeuvres compared to mutidrop work (60 vs 15 maybe) I don’t have time to get out and walk it every time.

I’m probably reversing about the speed I would’ve in my practical test and about the same as in reversing tutorials you see on youtube to give an idea (usually I’m a fair bit quicker than that).

Wondering how fast the usual guy is reversing!

You reverse at speed…until you crash into a lampost, car, bike, wall etc.

Imagine how much time you then lose while either filling on all the accident forms or being questioned by the police for driving without due care and attention, or worse.

In essence, drive safely amd ignore everyone who has never driven a truck, isn’t responsible for the results and likely just wants to go home early. Faster you reverse, faster you can get into trouble and the more damage you can do. I lost my first job after listening to other people, not recommended.

Exactly what I thought.

My loader doesn’t even drive a car (well, not legally he says) and claims he’s probably a better driver than some of the class 2 drivers - reckons he could jump behind the wheel and drive the wagon. :unamused:

All the other guys I’ve been out with have said I’m fine but one did comment that some of the guys drive the truck ‘like an extension of their body’. I’m not denying that many years’ experience likely results in somebody a bit better than myself with 9 months under my belt.

Only other guy who ever said I needed to pick up the pace (different company) turned out to be a maniac behind the wheel - running ambers real close, chucking wagon around corners, and driving right up people’s arses. Had already had a few accidents I found out.

My view is that I could likely be a bit quicker if reckless and would probs be ok 90% of the time, but the other 10% is the issue.

Is it job and knock or hourly paid ?
If hourly paid I wouldn’t be rushing [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hourly as I’m agency (maybe should keep reminding my loader of that. :smiley: ) To be fair he spends a large segment of the day asleep anyway. Ended up head first in the foot well the other day when some muppet changed lanes into my path on approach to a roundabout (wagon only has bench at back, which he lies on, and there’s no passenger seat so he was properly in the hole lol).

It sounds to me like you’re doing it right already tbh.
He may be commenting on that when you get to know the individual drops/pickup zones you’ll know better how to set yourself up for the reverse and what hazards there are on each.

I’m doing multi drop in London every day.
Yes, I’m good at reversing.
But I reverse ONLY when I’m 100% certain of what I’m going to do, what’s in the way etc. Sometimes you HAVE to get out and look. Sometimes you have to get out and check halfway around a reverse. Sometimes they are a doddle and you just KNOW it’s going to be fine.

Go at the speed that you’re comfortable with, if you feel rushed? ■■■■ em…stop for 10 seconds to gather yourself, then get out and check again.
My view on reversing speed is that I want to be able to stop in the time/distance it takes me to switch my view from left mirror to right mirror, so I’m pretty slow, mebbe 1-2 miles an hour on close calls, and mebbe 4 mph on a distance reverse.

What annoys me is banksmen who are totally oblivious to what you want to see as a driver. me, I want my banksman stood just to the right of my cab, hi viz gloves, and some sort of intelligence!
I.e. nighttime, they wear dark blue trousers, dark blue fleeces, dark blue ■■■■■■ GLOVES, at night, and stand 30 feet behind the truck, one hand in the air barely moving their fingers to direct you.

No, sounds like you’re on the right path, mate.

Cheers pal.

I’ve been watching bin wagons reversing on YouTube and to be fair I’m not going any any slower than any I’ve seen - many are reversing at the same speed I do in tight areas even when loads of space.

I think part of the issue last week was that we were covering a run my loader doesn’t know but most of the permanent drivers do - were slower due to having to use Google maps etc. I’m defo not rushing manoeuvres to make up time.

To be fair, my loader doesn’t usually get out and bank me unless it’s super tight. For that reason alone I’m taking it careful when it’s dark with poor visibility and in unknown areas with no knowledge of what’s behind me.

you mentioned something that worried me !! and that my friend is you are using the vehicle with non working cameras.dirty cameras should be cleaned ! …and please don’t say that’s not my job or it will slow me up more …if the ■■■■ hits the fan YOU are going to get it …not bob,rod or whoever is your team.one o the first things the police etc will ask is all the cameras working and clean? …I don’t mean this in a nasty way as I did what you are doing for yrs and would prob be one o these guys they talk about as I made it look too easy .,and kf the loader sleeping .I will tell you boy the radio would be up ,window down if im working he will be awake!! jimmy

just something else I noticed in your post reversing into side streets ,reversing down streets …I hope you get “stig o the dump” out EVERY TIME you do a reverse and he is walking to your side at the back , don’t let them “mirror arm it or sit on the hopper lip” too many cameras watching nowadays!!! only takes one drunk or street person to be there and you will be gone away for a long time. REMEMBER" stig" don’t care either way ,you are in charge don’t forget it I used to have to keep telling this to the “green” drivers as they were taken advantage o by some crews and thrown to the wolves when they hit cars ,walls etc.

Tailschwing:
To be fair, my loader doesn’t usually get out and bank me unless it’s super tight. For that reason alone I’m taking it careful when it’s dark with poor visibility and in unknown areas with no knowledge of what’s behind me.

DOn’t be afraid to TELL him to get out and bank you in. Don’t wait for him to weigh up the situation and then offer to help. YOU know better than a non driver what you need.
I’m still a new guy at my current job (10 weeks) But I’m a new guy with years of driving in previous jobs, no accidents fr which I have been to blame, clean licence etc, and I intend it to stay that way too, and I have no hesitation in “Asking” (It’s an order, he knows it, I know it, I just ask nicely, as a suggestion almost :slight_smile: ) my porter to hop out and watch me in to difficult spots.

I wasn’t going to, but I will now, put a thread up about exactly this sort of situation, where I reversed into a stationary car 2 days ago. Had I not taken all possible precautions and done all the checks I would, possibly, have been sacked.

and as for speed? like I said before, I think you’ve got it right, already.