General Advice

Hi all,

Been contemplating going for my Class 2 license for a while and i’m thinking within the new year is a good place to start.
I’ve just noticed that there is another open day with Peter Smythe on the 26th of Jan, I’ve been before to one and was really impressed but didn’t have the funds to get started.

I was just looking for some advice and views really on a few bits, although most have probably been answered elsewhere!

• Would it be daft to contact local haulage firms asking for work experience / a ride along? I’m not sure if this has or can happen but thought before taking the plunge into training this might give me the best insight into the industry first hand rather than reading up or YouTube!

• I enjoy all things driving / cars etc etc, is this an industry really worth entering if i enjoy that kind of thing or could it be disheartening?

• Working only weekends part time, can this be achievable? I’m currently employed full time in another career and i’d be happy to work weekends to gain experience and hours before potentially making the jump to full time.

These are just a few off the top of my head, got loads more but they’re probably daft! Then again if you don’t ask you don’t learn!

Cheers all,
Siddo

EU regs mean that if working mon to fri then generally you can drive for one day every other weekend

Have you checked out the links contained within the link in my signature below :bulb: :question:

Hello, and welcome to TNUK! :smiley:

First of all, have you had your D4 medical yet? If not, I’m pretty sure that a renowned training firm like Peter Smythe will take care of everything as they have their own doctor to fill it in. Then, along with a D2 (application for lorry/bus licence) and your current licence, send it to the Drivers Medical Group at the DVLA. You should normally have your provisional Cat C licence back within a fortnight.

Recommended study material for LGV theory test (CPC Mod 1): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Theory-Hazard-Perception-Test/dp/1843266199

Recommended study material for LGV Case Studies (CPC Mod 2): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Driver-Case-Study-Test/dp/184326627X/ref=pd_sim_65_4/261-8157456-8160437?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=184326627X&pd_rd_r=ccb8500f-1424-11e9-8793-63ddf097fa6c&pd_rd_w=WIz1n&pd_rd_wg=A9Elb&pf_rd_p=1e3b4162-429b-4ea8-80b8-75d978d3d89e&pf_rd_r=AHS7MHDH4BDBHAJQBQ1N&psc=1&refRID=AHS7MHDH4BDBHAJQBQ1N

I DO recommend booking an assessment drive with PS after you get your licence back. This is so that you can get the feel of driving a large vehicle on the road, and your instructor can see how many days training you need to get to test standard.

In my opinion, I think that you are making a great decision on choosing PS as your trainer (just look at the HUGE amount of glowing reviews on TNUK).

Since you enjoy driving, you should do pretty well in this industry. As in any job, you’ll get days that are a breeze, but occasionally, you’ll may get days that are a total nightmare, BUT don’t let the latter put you off.

Regarding weekend work, how many hours per week do you currently work? This is because you can only work every other Saturday or Sunday (not both on the same weekend) because of the Working Time Directive (WTD).

Garbo2018:
Regarding weekend work, how many hours per week do you currently work? This is because you can only work every other Saturday or Sunday (not both on the same weekend) because of the Working Time Directive (WTD).

The WTD does not restrict this in any way because the two jobs are under different WTDs and the two do not get added together

What does restrict it is the EU driver regs where the weekly rest rules apply

ROG:
EU regs mean that if working mon to fri then generally you can drive for one day every other weekend

Have you checked out the links contained within the link in my signature below :bulb: :question:

Ah okay, thanks for the heads up i’ll try and read up on this.

Garbo2018:
Hello, and welcome to TNUK! :smiley:

First of all, have you had your D4 medical yet? If not, I’m pretty sure that a renowned training firm like Peter Smythe will take care of everything as they have their own doctor to fill it in. Then, along with a D2 (application for lorry/bus licence) and your current licence, send it to the Drivers Medical Group at the DVLA. You should normally have your provisional Cat C licence back within a fortnight.

Recommended study material for LGV theory test (CPC Mod 1): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Theory-Hazard-Perception-Test/dp/1843266199

Recommended study material for LGV Case Studies (CPC Mod 2): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Driver-Case-Study-Test/dp/184326627X/ref=pd_sim_65_4/261-8157456-8160437?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=184326627X&pd_rd_r=ccb8500f-1424-11e9-8793-63ddf097fa6c&pd_rd_w=WIz1n&pd_rd_wg=A9Elb&pf_rd_p=1e3b4162-429b-4ea8-80b8-75d978d3d89e&pf_rd_r=AHS7MHDH4BDBHAJQBQ1N&psc=1&refRID=AHS7MHDH4BDBHAJQBQ1N

I DO recommend booking an assessment drive with PS after you get your licence back. This is so that you can get the feel of driving a large vehicle on the road, and your instructor can see how many days training you need to get to test standard.

In my opinion, I think that you are making a great decision on choosing PS as your trainer (just look at the HUGE amount of glowing reviews on TNUK).

Since you enjoy driving, you should do pretty well in this industry. As in any job, you’ll get days that are a breeze, but occasionally, you’ll may get days that are a total nightmare, BUT don’t let the latter put you off.

Many thanks for the warm welcome Garbo,
I’ll be sure to check out the study material suggested and look into the forms and procedures mentioned!

Don’t worry i’m under no illusion that this type of job like all really will have it’s ups and downs! Just hope that because i’ll enjoy doing it, hopefully it wont sting as much when it’s bad :smiley:

I currently work 37.5 a week in a office based role, but will look into what both ROG and yourself have mentioned!

Thanks

– I suspect most companies won’t give you a ride along option without you being employed due to insurance, plus most drivers tend to want to do the job alone since that’s the kindof person this job attracts.

– Enjoying driving cars is I guess a good start, but its an awful lot more than that depending what job you do. If you drive a BMW, you’d at least know about being hated by everyone else so thats a good start. :slight_smile:

Thing is, theres an awful lot more than driving especially when you start with class 2 as its often multidrop so lots of manual work. Class 1 tends to be more driving but can still be manual depending on the job.

Just remember, you can be working 15 hour days plus going to and from work. Often the start times are stupidly early like 4am plus of ciurse you’ve got yo get there first. Thats why I switched to nights in the end.

– Weekemds only mihht be possible but be careful of the workong hours as mentioned above. For a new driver and only working one day every two weeks would seriously reduce your options. Most will be looking for full timers but you might get the odd agency shift (coupd be complex with PAYE tax).

– Dont worry there arent many stupid questions a.d non of the above. I dont want to put you off, but it isn’t a bed of roses. If i had the choice of an office job that I enjoyed vs getting cold wet, being hated and working stupid hours for posdibly less money…not sure I’d be on this forum.

I actually did an office job, got out to do a other manual job then got into this type. Could forsee going back to the right office job if I could find one.

PS, Peters is a good place to go learn!