New Driver CV

Hi all,

So i’m booking my training and test soon and will be applying online and also going door to door with my CV’s, i was wondering what do recruiters look for in a drivers CV, having no previous professional driving experience and only working in IT, i’m not sure how i should structure it, what to include etc

Any feedback is appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks

Most likely You will struggle to get a job direct. Most employers look for at least 2yrs experience, and those that don’t rarely are worth working for. Best way to try some agencies first.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Find the names of big local distribution centres in your area and approach them directly. This could simply be driving around local industrial areas and making a note of all the distribution companies. The names will often be plastered on the sides of all their lorries.

My first job was through an agency, but the distribution centre that I was sent to said they would have taken me on directly if I had approached them first without going through the agency. Apparently, if you go through an agency the end client can’t take you on or the agency will sue them for poaching their staff/agency drivers.

That’s nonsense, we take on staff via agencies all the time. Usually the company has to pay the agency a fee, no one is sued :laughing:

Stussy:
That’s nonsense, we take on staff via agencies all the time. Usually the company has to pay the agency a fee, no one is sued :laughing:

Agreed. In most cases if the work suits you, you can apply internally to be taken on full time by the company. The agency, I guarantee you, will have a plan for just such an event. Usually a fee changes hands. But yes, it’s doable.
Maybe you mean trying to circumvent the agency contract and apply for a job with the company as if they’d never been there. through the agency, before?

Thanks for the response guys.

I am looking for ways to make my CV more inviting to the agency/company as i have never driven professionally before and i was wanting to know more about how i make my CV stand out from the rest.

What words, phrases, skills shall i put down that makes them gravitate to mine even though i have no experience?

Concentrate on skills that would transfer over and be relevant to driving, eg time keeping, able to work alone, problem solving, quick thinking, conscientious etc