Starting a new life

Good morning guys and girls,

First off hello thanks for letting me join.

So I guess I best start. So I am looking a joining the world of HGV’s. So I have a few some questions to ask. First question and I know it’s a old question but I can’t find a answer, is do I train in auto or manual. Now I know most training schools are now in auto, however I have a auto only B license, at the moment. My school of thought is why make my life hard if I dont ha have to. I do have other questions but the can wait for now.

Ukcinc:
First question and I know it’s a old question but I can’t find a answer, is do I train in auto or manual. Now I know most training schools are now in auto, however I have a auto only B license, at the moment.

As you have auto B then …
If you pass LGV C auto you will be restricted to LGV auto only
If you pass LGV C manual then you will get both B and C manual

It seems that these days there are more LGV autos than manuals but you will be restricting your employment options

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking of manual as it dose seem to be the good thing todo.
Now here’s another question.
I know you if you have a B manual, you can learn auto c (+e), and drive manual, but would it be best to learn C manual and convert that way as I would then have the no how to change gear in C, not bothered about B

Ukcinc:
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking of manual as it dose seem to be the good thing todo.
Now here’s another question.
I know you if you have a B manual, you can learn auto c (+e), and drive manual, but would it be best to learn C manual and convert that way as I would then have the no how to change gear in C, not bothered about B

Now that you have general driving experience I would suggest going for manual C (one with a straight 6 gearbox) then auto C+E

Excellent we are the same wave length.

That was my plan B.

Thanks for the quick replys

Well I’ve throw a spanner in the works…

And say I reckon you should learn in an auto truck. And then upgrade your car licence (either before or after).

It’s easier. It will probably be cheaper than paying for more training/retests. And it’s training in the kit you will most likely be using.

In my rather limited experiences truck manual boxes are not that nice to drive with. They are not much harder than a car to master - but you’d be throwing lots of new stuff at yourself at once. But it’s your call.

Not disagreeing with ROG, but you could upgrade your car to manual simply by taking another test. You will then “automatically” gain manual entitlements on your vocational licences.

There’s nothing wrong at all with trying to upgrade on a manual truck, provided you can find one that behaves itself. Most manuals will be operated by those folks who cant afford/be bothered to change to auto. The rules changed nearly 5 years ago so no reason not to have changed IMO. So, if you’re considering using a manual truck, I strongly suggest you have a trial lesson.

People who have driven trucks with well worn manuals will know exactly what I mean.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Morning Pete,

Thanks I didn’t think of that one,as in the well work gear box.

Just an after thought, is manual training cheaper then auto? Havent done much research into that yet.

Peter Smythe:
Not disagreeing with ROG, but you could upgrade your car to manual simply by taking another test. You will then “automatically” gain manual entitlements on your vocational licences.

There’s nothing wrong at all with trying to upgrade on a manual truck, provided you can find one that behaves itself. Most manuals will be operated by those folks who cant afford/be bothered to change to auto. The rules changed nearly 5 years ago so no reason not to have changed IMO. So, if you’re considering using a manual truck, I strongly suggest you have a trial lesson.

People who have driven trucks with well worn manuals will know exactly what I mean.

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Before doing my C and C+E I was thinking that I don’t mind to do in manual, after doing test drive with one driving school I decided to go automatic as had to on every stop try 3-4 times to stick in 1st gear, so decided that I don’t need to try figure out how to use every gear box, my first priority was to pass driving test and try to stay within my budget.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

You might well find training on a manual to be cheap. I followed at 54 plate rigid the other day and I’m delighted to say that it didn’t have my name on it! Do it right, and you only buy training once. The 54 plate will be manual but heaven only knows what it will drive like. It could be wonderful but it likely isn’t.

Why would anyone consider training on a 14 year old truck and almost certainly making their life more difficult? To me it seems a short-sighted decision.

I repeat, again, the old advice. ONLY book having visited the trainer OR on rock solid recommendation. Make sure you know what you’re getting in the way of instructor (most have no qualifications except a driving licence), standard of vehicle and availability of correctly marked reversing area.

Anyone is welcome, anytime between 0730 and 1700 Monday to Friday, to come and have a look at us. No appointment needed. Always staff on hand who will be happy to show you our facilities and whatever vehicles are available at that time.

As always, buyer beware.

Happy New Year folks,

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the advice, the guy I am going with is 1st castle driving school, I know both of the head instructor. Both ex fireman, one dose cars with a number of instructor and the other is the LGV guy. He only dose manual as he believes in the old school teaching, but is by all counts a very good instructor. He only dose one on one training. The only reason I ask about man v auto is I don’t want to make my life harder if I didn’t need to. But looking at most of the posts it seems man is the way to go.

Ukcinc:
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the advice, the guy I am going with is 1st castle driving school, I know both of the head instructor. Both ex fireman, one dose cars with a number of instructor and the other is the LGV guy. He only dose manual as he believes in the old school teaching, but is by all counts a very good instructor. He only dose one on one training. The only reason I ask about man v auto is I don’t want to make my life harder if I didn’t need to. But looking at most of the posts it seems man is the way to go.

These :question: = 1stcastlelgvtraining.co.uk/

ROG:

Ukcinc:
Hi Pete,

These :question: = 1stcastlelgvtraining.co.uk/

Going of the website pics i wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole…just random pics of any trucks n buses on there.

He bought a couple of trucks from me some years ago. One was a 55 plate and the other 07. Both good at the time but going back lots of years! Seems a nice enough bloke but no idea about his ability or facilities.

Maybe you could remember me to him.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Pete,

Sorry about the late reply I believe that’s their old site 1stcastle.co.uk . This one is combined both sides of the training eg car/hgv

Ukcinc:
Hi Pete,

Sorry about the late reply I believe that’s their old site 1stcastle.co.uk . This one is combined both sides of the training eg car/hgv

I think they have both sites - one for car and the other for LGV / PCV / B+E

Just on a side note, I see Eddie stobart have a driving school. Is it for employees only or is it open to anyone?

Ukcinc:
Just on a side note, I see Eddie stobart have a driving school. Is it for employees only or is it open to anyone?

They are available for everyone. The only difference is they guarantee a job interview (only job interview) once you pass class one. You have only option to do C+E or C and C+E. There is no option for doing C only if you would find out if you fancy to drive lorries.

I passed with PSTT all categories and I can highly recommend them. Good luck.

AFAIK, it’s open to all. And they say they’ll interview you for a job as well.

Strangely, we have a continual stream of candidates from Warrington! Cant figure that out, but it’s a fact.