Part Time Jobs for Class 1 Drivers

I work in IT and took up driving larger vehicles as a hobby.

I passed by Bus test in May, Class 2 in September and finally Class 1 in Dec (All first time :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ). When I passed by Class 1, both my instructor and examiner suggested I get a part time job to brush up my skills on reversing :blush: :blush:

In that, I have started speaking with a few companies but no one wants to take on a driver who can only work part time (max two weekends a month) as IT work keeps me very busy and I don’t want to give up on my hobby of driving large vehicles :frowning:

What is the best way to get some jobs around the MK area - I don’t mind travelling to get myself a bit more experienced, esp in the reversing manouvre.

As always, grateful for your help

Agency is the way to go. I’m in a similar situation and work 4 days every 6 weeks but manage to get work

no1dieselman:
Agency is the way to go. I’m in a similar situation and work 4 days every 6 weeks but manage to get work

Should that be 3 days in 6 weeks :question: - 1 day every other weekend if working mon to fri

All agencies are looking for experience :cry: :cry:

Is there any agencies you know of who will take new drivers?

ihasham:
I work in IT and took up driving larger vehicles as a hobby.

~snip~

IT work keeps me very busy and I don’t want to give up on my hobby of driving large vehicles :frowning:

ihasham:
Is there any agencies you know of who will take new drivers?

You’re not a new driver you’re a wannabe part time hobbyist driver who can probably only legally work a couple of days a month, why would any agency waste their time on you :confused:

Bit harsh there tachograph.
Just register with an agency. You may get lucky and get a shift or two before New Year, but then it may well go quiet for months.
One of our agency staff worked in another job ( as a mechanic) and did every weekend as hgv driver, despite working 60odd hours a week in his normal job.

I Got to say i agree with Tachograph you probably won’t be able to give the agencies enough of your time, but you might get lucky.

If you just want to drive the bigger vehicles have you tried the buses? Might be able to get in with a company doing day trips that kinda thing?

Or may be a long shot but could ask local firms if the would want anyone to take lorries/trailers to and from MOT’s or services? You would most probably have to speak to them face to face for that though

Dav1d:
Just register with an agency. You may get lucky and get a shift or two before New Year, but then it may well go quiet for months.
One of our agency staff worked in another job ( as a mechanic) and did every weekend as hgv driver, despite working 60odd hours a week in his normal job.

That seems illegal :question:

An expensive hobby getting those tickets

ROG:

Dav1d:

That seems illegal :question:

Yeah, didn’t seem right to me either, but not my problem to worry about.
edit, only the one weekend day, not both.

As above, agency. I can get work every week if I want it with only limited availability.

ROG:

no1dieselman:

Should that be 3 days in 6 weeks :question: - 1 day every other weekend if working mon to fri

No as I said. 4 days every six weeks. Sometimes 6 days. I did 10 days once but it was a bit too much. Despite what some are saying agencies are happy to have us very part time hobby drivers on their books

no1dieselman:

ROG:

no1dieselman:

No as I said. 4 days every six weeks. Sometimes 6 days. I did 10 days once but it was a bit too much. Despite what some are saying agencies are happy to have us very part time hobby drivers on their books

Do you work mon to fri in a non driving job :question:

tachograph:
You’re not a new driver you’re a wannabe part time hobbyist driver who can probably only legally work a couple of days a month, why would any agency waste their time on you :confused:

Tacho I reckon that’s a bit harsh.

I was/am a part timer. And I didn’t dedicate myself to driving. The major differences betwen me and the op was that I’m a student, and wouldn’t classify it as a hobby but rather a part time job. For a short stint I am doing it full time (one week to go). The op may do the sameness as me.

And agencies did not only waste their time on me - but got me work and paid me when I messed up.

I wouldn’t come on here and call it a hobby as it’s the way people feed their families and is a bit disrespectful in my opinion. But he has as much right to find work as any new pass class 1 driver who’s cant reverse. I wish him all the best.

To clarify, I don’t have a problem with part time drivers, if someone wants to drive part time to better provide for their family or make a bit of extra money for themselves I have no problem at-all with that, if someone wants to take some time out from their usual job and try driving large vehicles for a living for a while that’s fine as well.

However, the opening post comes across as someone who just wants a hobby, in fact he says it himself, and is on a drivers forum asking how to get work which will not be available to the drivers who drive large vehicles either for a living or to earn money to better their lives.

In fact I’d go as far as to say that the impression I’ve got from the opening post is that it’s from someone who’s likely to offer to drive for nothing in exchange for a chance to drive a blinged up lorry :unamused:

So no I don’t think I was a bit harsh, but everyone’s entitled to their own opinion.

Tacho you are probably right. I like to assume the best in everything/everyone. Especially at this time of year.

If you are right - it will be a short hobby. I’ve done adhoc work like he describes. And looking back I enjoyed it and miss the buzz of everything being new. But I wanted to quit many many times and if there was no financial motivation I’d have probably jacked it in after my first shift.

OP I’d aslo suggest you take on board what tacho is saying. You are going to be very unpopular if you start telling other drivers it’s just a hobby. Some of them really don’t like doing it - yet have no choice because they need to support their family.

If you really want a hobby - why not volunteer to drive horseboxes? Less stress. Probably nicer vehicles. Hobby or not - the transport companies are a business and they will push you until you break. Especially as a new pass. Saying you are coming back after 8 hours because you are tired is going to end with you meeting the owner at the gates for a dustup at many firms. Just my opinion as usual.

ROG:

no1dieselman:

ROG:

no1dieselman:

Do you work mon to fri in a non driving job :question:

No I work full time in a non driving job a bit like 4 on 4 off so can get the required rest days and work a bit more that the Mon to Friday people

no1dieselman:
I work full time in a non driving job a bit like 4 on 4 off so can get the required rest days and work a bit more that the Mon to Friday people

AH - that explains it - thanks :smiley:

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Am certainly touched.

It’s fun having to handle large vehicles in tricky situations - relaxes my brain away from the stress of working in IT :smiley: :smiley: .

I will register with a few agencies and visit a few yards after Christmas. When I was doing the tests, I never thought I would want to work in this industry but I can see myself drawn towards it :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

tachograph:
To clarify, I don’t have a problem with part time drivers, if someone wants to drive part time to better provide for their family or make a bit of extra money for themselves I have no problem at-all with that, if someone wants to take some time out from their usual job and try driving large vehicles for a living for a while that’s fine as well.

However, the opening post comes across as someone who just wants a hobby, in fact he says it himself, and is on a drivers forum asking how to get work which will not be available to the drivers who drive large vehicles either for a living or to earn money to better their lives.

In fact I’d go as far as to say that the impression I’ve got from the opening post is that it’s from someone who’s likely to offer to drive for nothing in exchange for a chance to drive a blinged up lorry :unamused:

So no I don’t think I was a bit harsh, but everyone’s entitled to their own opinion.

I would clarify that it could become a full time job later in life, and I wouldn’t go on to say it’s not important for me to have as much experience.

In all honesty, if there was such ad-hoc work available, unsuitable to full time drivers, I would be happy to jump in.

Surely, similar to other industries, driving will have jobs that professionals avoid.