Which loads need strapped

Hi all.
Seen a few posts recently about insecure loads so quick question.

I generally pick up a trailer which is already loaded recently either Xmas trees on pallets or 52 pallets (stacked on top of each other) of pot noodles or fizzy drinks bottles etc.
When i pick up the trailer its already fully loaded and the only straps that are accessible are the 2 internal straps at the far back of the trailer left there so i can strap the last 2 pallets… the rest of the internal straps are tucked into the front of the trailer where I can’t get to as there completely blocked by the load?

So is it legal to only strap the last 2 or should all the pallets have a strap over them? I mean legally so if I get pulled by vosa would I be fined for insecure load?

Thanks.
Dave

Easy answer if you think its needs to be strapped do it saves the fine.

DVSA Load security matrix at 5.2.

This is what they use to assess

gov.uk/government/publicati … the-basics

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

If a solid box trailer then no worries
If a curtain-sider then you cannot rely on the curtains to hold the load securely/safely
The driver has full responsibility once you hitch up to it

Thanks for the replys.

So it seems by law I have to open the curtains on every trailer I pick up then ratchet strap every pallet then undo every ratchet strap when I get to destination?
Not one other person in this company does any of this as I’ve picked trailers up from all over the country and non of them are strapped… I’m surprised a company as big as stobarts allow this to happen? They certainly don’t allow enough time to do it as this would take at least an extra hour + for every trailer I move.
All the company tells me is to leave 2 internal straps at the rear of truck so i can strap the last 2 pallets ?

I’ll mention it tomorrow when I go in and see what they say but I’m betting there gonna tell me the same as they did last week when I asked about it that only the last 2 pallets need an internal strap over them…

On the plus side it means ill get paid at least another 2 hours per day lol so if it’s law ill be doing it no matter what they say.

Thanks
Dave

Truxx:
Thanks for the replys.

So it seems by law I have to open the curtains on every trailer I pick up then ratchet strap every pallet then undo every ratchet strap when I get to destination?
Not one other person in this company does any of this as I’ve picked trailers up from all over the country and non of them are strapped… I’m surprised a company as big as stobarts allow this to happen? They certainly don’t allow enough time to do it as this would take at least an extra hour + for every trailer I move.
All the company tells me is to leave 2 internal straps at the rear of truck so i can strap the last 2 pallets ?

I’ll mention it tomorrow when I go in and see what they say but I’m betting there gonna tell me the same as they did last week when I asked about it that only the last 2 pallets need an internal strap over them…

On the plus side it means ill get paid at least another 2 hours per day lol so if it’s law ill be doing it no matter what they say.

Thanks
Dave

Check if the trailer has the XL curtains, most of them do. If they are and you have “positive fit” coke and britvic are 2 quick examples of what should be then only the last 2 is ok. Personally I used to use a couple on each.

Are you agency or employed? I was agency and was given a pack to look at and load security is in there. The above was detailed there and should there have ever have been an issue I would have produced that so get yourself a copy.

Not all the trailers are XL rated though and if doing something like britvic I would swap to one that is, even if it means a wait else as said you will legally have to strap them all

I àsked them about it on Tuesday and was told that because it’s positive fit 2 straps are enough… fair enough. Picked up pallets of coca cola couple times this week which aren’t shrink wrapped so loose pallets of 12 packs ended up just using some extra straps anyway just to be on the safe side.

I’ve noticed some curtains mention the xl thing but not noticed it on all of them so ill keep a closer eye out for that. Most of the trailers I’ve used so far are just clapped out anyway they’ve been abused and are showing there age so even if the curtains were rated to hold weight I’m not sure they’ll still be upto the task lol.
I’m employed so didn’t get any paperwork or pack or anything else for that matter although I do now have the uniform :laughing:

Week 3 coming to an end and I can honestly say I’m so glad I took this job it’s awesome. Jobs come through on the tablet I plan my own day around the collection/ delivery times etc take my breaks when I want it just really suits me… wish I did it 10 years ago lol

Thanks for replies.
Dave

Truxx:
I àsked them about it on Tuesday and was told that because it’s positive fit 2 straps are enough… fair enough. Picked up pallets of coca cola couple times this week which aren’t shrink wrapped so loose pallets of 12 packs ended up just using some extra straps anyway just to be on the safe side.

I’ve noticed some curtains mention the xl thing but not noticed it on all of them so ill keep a closer eye out for that. Most of the trailers I’ve used so far are just clapped out anyway they’ve been abused and are showing there age so even if the curtains were rated to hold weight I’m not sure they’ll still be upto the task lol.
I’m employed so didn’t get any paperwork or pack or anything else for that matter although I do now have the uniform :laughing:

Week 3 coming to an end and I can honestly say I’m so glad I took this job it’s awesome. Jobs come through on the tablet I plan my own day around the collection/ delivery times etc take my breaks when I want it just really suits me… wish I did it 10 years ago lol

Thanks for replies.
Dave

My firm won’t even touch a drinks load unless it’s been shrink wrapped due to the fact an EX driver had 12 pallets of Pepsi can shift backwards and 3 pallets worth had to be written off