The fat truck driver myth?

So not really a serious topic but I am interested to know if there’s any truth behind the “fat truck driver” cliche. We’ve all seen the ‘evolution of a truck driver’ picture where the guy starts off slim but gets fatter and fatter. Of course there are big guys (and gals) that drive trucks but is it really a profession that inevitably leads to weight gain?

I only ask because I’ve just joined my first haulage firm and was quite surprised to discover that most of the drivers, including the older fellas are remarkably thin.
After my first week I’m learning that despite this being a ‘sit down’ job, there is still a fair bit of activity involved: jumping in and out, loading/unloading, walking around yards etc.

Being sat in a cab is definitely different from being sat at a desk.

Would like to hear your thoughts, cheers.

Ive been driving for six weeks coming from an office job and have lost just shy of Two stone.

Much more calories spent in fighting with a curtain in the wind, handballing a bit of stock off, climbing up to connect/disconnect air, climbing in and out the cab, walking miles to find the drivers room etc than getting up to get something off the photocopier every once in a while.

It’s far too easy to buy a mcdonalds, sweets, chocolate, and whatever else junk food you can think of. It can be monotonous so then it makes it even more tempting. Wouldn’t say it’s all that common, but we’ve all watched a driver clamber into the cab making it look like as big a challenge as everest and almost overturning the cab in the process.

Personally, it depends on the assignment. Worst for me is tramping. Best for me is local builders yards flatbedding or similar.

I’ve heard plenty drivers say you get mentally knackered not physically. That makes it harder to do any exercise especially after a 12 hour stint in the saddle.
For me, I fasted and went down to 13 stone. I’m tramping now and up at 15.
In terms of weight (BMI) and fitness, you’ll have to play tunes on your drives. Some people never seem to put on weight, some of us do.

No job makes you fat. You make you fat.
If someone doesn’t have the self control when it comes to what they put in their body that isn’t the jobs fault.
You don’t even need to exercise to loss / maintain weight just simply count calories.

6 weeks in me new job, lost a stone and a half already. .

I’ve lost 3 stone since I started driving. Makes a big difference not sitting at a desk for 12 hours then going home and sitting in front of a laptop for a further 4.

steviespain:

You’ve lost a stone and a half of ugly fat?

Let me guess… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been driving trucks for 22 years and in 2000 I gained some weight but in 2013 I lost that weight in about 2 minutes flat when she walked out on me. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent using smoke signals

Harry Monk:

steviespain:

You’ve lost a stone and a half of ugly fat?

Let me guess… :stuck_out_tongue:

hehe, no, my face is still here :smiley:

Just checked my weight today, getting on for two stone! Down from 14 to just over 12, WTF■■?