Got my first cat C job, no agency required!

Went for an interview with a company yesterday, got offered the job last night. Full time permanent contract delivering milk. Early starts but the pay isn’t bad for a first job. I’m promised a whole week with a buddy to get me started too which is a relief.

Two questions;

I signed on with an agency the other day. Do I need to cancel that? Will it conflict with my new contract or tax etc?

Also, my new lorry has significantly more overhang over the rear wheels. The rear most axle lifts up, does this mean the handling characteristics/tail swing will change between being laden and unladen?

Top man. I’ve you’ve get straight in I salute you. Personally, I’ve been agency for two years and despite running 3 to 6 month assignments in that time haven’t really found anything I’d want to stick with.
Forget the agency; If you get a text tell them you’re booked out until further notice. I doubt (unless they’re a closet outfit they’ll call) you’ll hear much after the first week.
Tail swing? I’m no expert but, yes. I was advised to leave the rear axle down as the ‘point of rotation’ is further back. It might be a bit lumpier to drive.

Congratulations.

Really focus on using your mirrors to start with because it will take a few weeks to get your special awareness in tune with the extremities of the rear.

You will drive over stuff and you will hit some stuff however, let’s hope it just posts and crash barriers and not cars.

Within 2 or 3 weeks you’ll be tuned in.

That’s been my experience :smiley:

Congrats. Rear lift lowered will reduce tail swing but make turning circle slightly bigger. If you encounter frost/snow and your wheels spin raise rear lift to give the drive axle more grip.

Who are you going to work for?

Regular meet lads working for Moran and they say nothing but good things about the job.

On class 2 I doubt it. But if you are going to bigger stores work on your charm. A supermarket wagon comes first, and a full load tipped and trailer reloaded with empties/salvage takes a couple of hours. If you are nice a decent supermarket driver will let you jump in. I’ve even pulled off bays to help a nice driver out before. Some will be nasty just because they can. Don’t let these types get you down - your paid by the hour, and waiting is temporary. Being a cretin is a life long thing.