Bin wagons?

I’ve agreed to do a week on the bin wagons this week.

I’m a little bit nervous about what it’ll be like. Most of my recent work has been either mutidrop to businesses or general haulage, but when I’ve previously done multi drop to houses I hated getting down tight residential streets where people park like ■■■■■ and block corners etc.

Presumably, my whole day will entail driving down these types of streets? I’m just wondering whether having people to spot you and also the fact that I’ll be driving really slowly will help counteract this.

My manoevering is not bad but I always think that the more time you spend in really tight spots the higher likelihood of having a scrape.

I can’t be doing with a scrape at the moment as I’m already dealing with some prick falsely accusing me of hitting his car.

I deliver building supplies and wherever I go ,and no matter how tight it is . “tbin wagon gits in nee bother”. :smiley: apparently theyre narrower and shorter wheelbase than norm so they can get in . you will be ok, I know a couple of drivers and they love it .job and knock :smiley:

Ah ok, that’s good to hear.

Presumably they have a fair bit of tailswing with the bit on the back?

I have done plenty of bin wagon driving and the streets you mention in your post are commonplace.
Slow start stop driving, constantly looking in either mirror and rear view camera to see where loaders are as well as wacthing the oncoming and passing traffic who have little time for being held up and will try to pass at the smallest of opportunities.

Get the loaders to back you in to streets and watch you through narrow gaps, don’t be afraid to ask as they do it every day don’t forget.

You will probably have to enter information on the ‘in cab’ computer which seems all the rage these days too as you go along.

My guess is you will probably end up with a headache from all the intense concentration but you should be done and off home by very early afternoon after a very short shift - stick with it for a week as some days are heavier than others but for me I loved it.

If you get a good crew of loaders who crack on and have a bit of banter when in the cab the time will fly by!

if its a newer model bin wagon. it will have cameras at every angle that you can check from driving position.

Also having the crew will help with spotting you. Not like when on multi-drop & your on your tod.

the guys are sure to help you out. they dont want accidents & paperwork either.

Enjoy it. :smiley:

Fair play.

When I think about it, manoeuvres are much easier with a banksman. I’ve reversed into some extremely tight places with a banana which would’ve defo had me out the cab looking otherwise.

I imagine with it likely being job and knock I’ll be earning less than usual, but I’m only really doing it as a favour to the agency who needed somebody this week

They’re currently arranging me an assessment for a big courier where I’ll be trunking parcels for £12 p/h so trying to keep them sweet as I’ve already been unable to attend the previous two assessments due to other jobs.