SmartDrive

Hi Guys

I’ve posted before to explain my intention of getting my class 2 then class 1 after that. For the time being though I’m doing supermarket home delivery. Been really enjoying it with the exception of one part. A system called SmartDrive that I basically think is a major invasion on my privacy - I suppose what I’m asking is whether systems of this type are normal.

I should mention, I’m fully behind dash cams and even cab facing ones but this SmartDrive system is too much. Basically if you trigger the system it then records what you were doing for the 15 seconds before and after the trigger. It also intermittently records as well regardless of triggers. The footage it’s recording is also always accessible. It also has a mic in the cab too and can hear everything. We’re told that we should make personal calls outside the cab when on break!

Ok so it triggers for harsh acceleration, braking and cornering. It triggers if you hit a pothole or a speed bump too fast or clip a curb. Obviously it will trigger if you crash. It triggers if there are loud noises in the cab. So let’s say you hit a trigger, you then are recorded before and after it. If you were yawning you get points, if you were singing too loud to the radio you get points! If you have over x amount of points a month you can be taken off driving duties. Just to be clear this is without a single accident or a risk of one happening!

Don’t get me wrong if you get a trigger for harsh braking and you’re distracted on the mobile phone, you deserve a chat with the manager. Otherwise it seems like a massive invasion of privacy for trivial things! I suppose my point here is asking whether systems this invasive are common in class 1 and 2?

Nope , I work for a company who is still owned and run by the man who started it 33years ago
all we have is front facing and 2 side cameras

Personally I’d get another job, my singing is for my ears only [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

A lot of dashcams can do this, but doubt most places will bother to even check the thing unless there’s an accident or report of one.

Unless anyone is getting sacked for singing, I wouldn’t worry too much as its likely just the office trying vauge threats to keep people compliant. They really dont want to have to train someone else.

Will you find it in class 2 or 1 - unlikely unless maybe working for a supermarket. If so they’ll just hear **** **** **** most of the way down the M1 as you hit all the potholes and uneven bumps in the motorway along with a spattering if “[fb] Audi driver!!”. :wink: