Prospective noob with questions

His Guys,

I’m a long time lurker and have been looking at the forum for sometime but as I’m now pretty sure I want to take up driving it’s time to ask a few questions.

A bit of history - having been made redundant back in 2011, I set up my own small business but unfortunately it didn’t work out. I then fell into an admin job, which I absolutely hate and loath (I’m not a pen pusher) but have done for the last three years as it’s a steady wage. However I really need to get out as the job is just dragging me down.

I originally looked into driving just prior to getting the admin role as I’ve a couple of mates who drive. One rigid and one Arctic. Both enjoy it, although both would not do the others job - one does multi drop and one trunking.

My main concern I guess is my age, I’m 56 and obviously don’t wish to invest 2-3k in training only to find that my age and lack of experience is a barrier to getting a job. Do you experienced guys find that older guys can get into the profession or is it a struggle?

Training also seems a minefield. My two mates who both only passed within the last four years trained at British HGV Training, Cannock and Westgate Transport Training, Walsall. I’ve had information from both and the difference in costs between both seems significant. Then of course Peter Smythe who sponsors this forum comes across as very good. What are people’s thoughts on choosing a trainer?

With regards to the type of work and with the hope that work isn’t to difficult to come by and after speaking to my mates I think trunking would be something I’d enjoy. Multi drop doesn’t really appeal to me at all. Would a new driver be likely to get a job trunking?

I’m sure I’ll probably think of more questions to ask but for now I think that’s it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Rezzie:
to find that my age and lack of experience is a barrier to getting a job.

It wont be, but you might miss the golden pre-christmas period when agencies and some firms only requirement other than a valid licence is a barely perceptible pulse, it will be a fair bit harder to find work in the first quarter of 2019, but not impossible with dogged determination and a sprinkling of luck.

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

IMO you wont have any problem regarding your age provided you can manage the job. That’s the most important bit.

You may want to consider the Black Friday Crazy Offer and, if that doesn’t suit you, have a look at the Christmas Offer. Both great offers, especially the Black Friday.

Any questions, just fire away.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks both.