How do you identify lorry sizes

As I’m still new to this world but in process of doing C1 I’m often looking at trucks on the road trying to guess their weight. To most of you it’s probably second nature. I know 7.5 and 18 tonnes(or is it 18.5 as someone told me recently?) but others I’m unsure. I saw a massive FedEx artic the other day, I’m guessing it was 44 tonnes. So how do you do it, is there a link to lorry sizes, kind of a lorry spotter website?

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … eights.pdf

2 axle small wheels 7.5 tonne or 12 tonne.

2 axle large wheels 18 tonne. (18.5 will leave you half a ton overweight.

3 axle 26 tonne.

4 axle 32 tonne.

5 axle 40 tonne.

6 axle 44 tonne.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:

6 wheel nuts on each wheel = 7.5
8 wheel nuts on each wheel = over 7.5 and up to 15 tonnes (generally)

Very unlikely you’ll get over 36T as a rigid too. The smaller rigids however can be a little bit of a guessing game but those axles do seem to be a good indication.

To confuse things, you can get 10T upgraded trucks which look the same as 7.5T (often start as that) or even 3.5T which look the same as 7.5.

Is C1 cheaper to do as its often better to do C since it gives more options.

trevHCS:
Is C1 cheaper to do as its often better to do C since it gives more options.

Yeh I’ve put C1 on hold for C so all rests on the medical now, I’ve already just found out I need glasses.

ROG:

El Deano:

6 wheel nuts on each wheel = 7.5
8 wheel nuts on each wheel = over 7.5 and up to 15 tonnes (generally)

We’ve done this before. Our MAN 12 tonners (in common with pretty much all MAN 12 tonners over the past several years) have 6 stud hubs.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Checking the Plating Certificate (GV6) in the cab is the only fool proof method of establishing the gross weight of any vehicle. The 6 stud/8 stud comment is often correct but not totally reliable. There are plenty of 10 tonners with 8 studs that have now been downrated to 7.5 tonnes. Therefore, you end up with a 7.5 tonner with 8 studs.

I have a fleet of 12 tonners that many folks think are 7.5. But the Plating Certificates say differently!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

El Deano:

2 axle large wheels 18 tonne. (18.5 will leave you half a ton overweight.

3 axle 26 tonne.

4 axle 32 tonne.

5 axle 40 tonne.

6 axle 44 tonne.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I’m on 5 axles and I’m plated at 38 ton.

It’s not that unusual for artics (or any other truck) to be downrated for road tax purposes. So you can have a 6 axle truck plated at 24/26 tonnes. Impossible to know without checking the Plating Certificate.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: