Cat C theory test

I’m in the process of doing CPC mod 2 & 4 however I can’t find if there is a theory test for cat C, obviously there is a practical. I may have read previously you need the full 35 hours CPC for cat C and hence that’s your theory?

You do a hgv theory test…
gov.uk/take-practice-theory-test

There is a free 1000 Qs link within the link in my signature below

You will take 3 theory tests. Multiple choice, hazard perception and case studies (Mod 2). The first two are the combined theory test for CAT C, the Mod 2 is the theory test for Mod 4 (practical walkround demonstration test).

Once you have completed all that and passed your CAT C practical you must then complete 35 hours periodic training within the following 5 years. You do not need to complete 35hrs before you can drive.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Got it. Thanks.

Just double checking. I passed my test pre 1997 hence I already have C1, am I correct in saying I only need modules 1 & 3 to obtain both CPC and cat C?

According to this,

If you already have pre 1997 C1 on your licence then you will only need modules 1 & 3 to obtain a C.

I have actually booked module 2 for a couple of weeks time but it seems I may not need this, if so I can cancel module 2.

You are correct that you only need to pass multiple choice, hazard perception and your practical driving test to achieve CAT C. You will, however, need to complete 35 hours of periodic training before you can drive commercially. I suggest you continue with your Mod 2 and then complete Mod 4. It’s a quicker process and normally less expensive.

If, at some point, you decide to upgrade to CE, some trainers are able to give cpc credits towards the subsequent 5 year period.

Check out our Christmas Offer and you’ll see that you can get your Mod 4 completely free of charge!

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Couple more questions.

Can you drive an artic tractor unit with Cat C, obviously you need CE for artic and trailer.

There is no theory test for CE I think, but I would imagine you need the 35 hours of CPC?

ram_1979:
Couple more questions.

Can you drive an artic tractor unit with Cat C, obviously you need CE for artic and trailer.

There is no theory test for CE I think, but I would imagine you need the 35 hours of CPC?

Unit on its own is cat C
Need current DQC to drive any LGV commercially so if for example you passed mods 2+4 when doing C then that will last for 5 years for ALL LGVs