First shift class 1

Hi all, passed my class 1 3 weeks ago and my work are letting me loose on my first nightshift trunking. Rather nervous, but luckily il be going out with the regular driver. Any tips for driving an a frame drag? I passed in a drawbar setup. What is the difference between the two?

You wont find any noticeable difference in forward driving. But reversing an A frame is a dark art that few have mastered!

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
You wont find any noticeable difference in forward driving. But reversing an A frame is a dark art that few have mastered!

Cheers Pete

Luckily it’s a case of driving forward only. Drop the box then reverse onto a bay. I have tried to reverse the a frame and it didn’t go too well. Think I got 10ft before it went pear shaped :smiley: Not a clue what I was doing. Even the more experienced driver had a couple of shunts at it. Co incidentally I ballsed up my reverse on my test and had to use my 2 shunts. Only did an hour reverse training before my test but had it dialled in every time. Think it may have been the examiner staring at me that put me off as my trainer left me to it after a while.

Peter Smythe:

I used to drive an A frame set up for Alstons the furniture people out of Ipswich and was on the Northern Ireland run, used to get the boat out a Liverpool but one wasn’t wide enough for me to be able to turn on the car deck so had to back it down the linkspan where there was a 90 degree turn … took me over half an hour one time but the ships mate telling me how to do it didn’t help and was getting annoyed at him so I shouted to him ‘if you can do my job come and try, but if you cant go an ******* do one because I can do yours’ Went later into the bar where I got clapped by some off the other drivers who were regulars’ but I think they were taking the ■■■■ !! :slight_smile: