Failed my Cat C practical

I’m far from cocky but as I drove back into the yard after an hour or so driving under examination, I was confident things had gone well throughout. As it turns out I only had 4 minor faults, but “I’m afraid it’s a fail today.” The reason? There was a pedestrian close to the kerb (not crossing I stress) and I didn’t change my speed accordingly (far from speeding I also stress.)

So I spent the rest of Friday feeling low, really low. It’s really given my confidence a massive knock and I’m not sure now how I’m ever going to pass the test. On top of that I got let down by a job which didn’t work out so I’ve had to find minimum wage work working 7 days, mostly nights a week just to get by so the pressure of passing feels massive and I feel a bit of a let down truth be told.

TL;DR I feel crap, make me feel better.

Failing to show reaction to a potential hazard it seems from your post
Simply covering the brake pedal just in case would have been the correct reaction

If confident enough then try some simple commentary such as person near kerb etc or if they are wearing a red coat just say ‘red coat’
Same can be done for a blue car approaching a side junction - just say ‘blue car’

Commentary can be practised when driving your car then transferred to the lorry

Doing commentary allows the examiner to ‘get inside your head’ and gives them AND YOU more confidence in your overall ability

Persist resist insist and never desist…

You made an error of judgement that can easily be rectified next time. You can clearly drive, proved by the 4 minors.

Just go again and I am sure it will be fine

Wouldn’t worry about it, I failed mine for not cancelling an indicator on a duel carriageway. Only 4 minors too…

Done it again and passed with 3 minors

I felt exactly like you too, wanted to give up thought what’s the point… but I’d spent so much money it made no sense to stop

Do a bit of poking around on the New And Wannabe forum and you’ll find plenty of stories about people failing their first test. It ■■■■■, especially when you feel it wasn’t justified but [zb] happens and you just have to dust yourself off and try again. I failed my first with 2 minors and a major for judgement, I was extremely annoyed with myself at the time but when the next test came around I knew exactly what I needed to do (or not do) and improved on the the things that they’d previously picked me up on. (For me it was approach speed and steering so I took extra care the next time around) . You clearly know how to drive and are capable of passing so the best thing you can do is take it as a learning experience and prepare yourself for the next run. Best of luck.

I failed mine because a taxi stopped in front of me after I’d pulled out of a junction, with no indication, leaving me across all lanes. Then I went through a green light… :confused:

I passed 1st time my Cat C (I know that doesn’t help you) BUT, I failed my C+E because white van man changed lanes in front of me, braked, then turned down a side road. All in the space of 100yds. The lorry reacted quicker than me and applied the brakes for me. I was gutted because he said I only had 1 minor but I should have anticipated his poor manoeuvre

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t worry, I passed class 2 in July 2nd attempt. I failed first attempt on a drive I thought was ok, only to fail and see my test sheet had 22 minors on, that’s right 22!!! Didn’t feel that refelected the drive and I was told afterwards the examiner can be a bit like that at times.

Booked straight in for a retest in a months time and I passed with 3 minors with no additional training. Then went on to do my class 1 a few weeks ago after a few months of class 2 work and passed that first time with 2 minors. So it can be done.

A word of advice would be looking well ahead of the road and thinking what and who ahead can screw me over and cause me to fail? Then I based my driving and decisions on that.

Hope that helps anyway

What I found helpful and as mentioned before is to look far ahead and commentate on everything you see. It helped everything really sink in for me.

With that said, forget about the test. It’s over, don’t dwell. Focus on your next test date and give yourself a clean slate. Not everyone passes the first time, I know I didn’t.

Thanks all for your support. It really made me feel a lot better the next morning albeit with a whisky induced hangover.

UPDATE!!!

I’VE FAILED AGAIN YAY!

Urgh today has been a crappy day. So I get to the centre and I’m told I’ve a couple hours training, great. How did it go? In my instructors words, “do it like that and you’ll have no trouble.” Sounds promising eh?

The test arrives, the reverse and questions all go to plan. Then I leave the yard…

Nerves got to the better of me, silly mistakes like not checking over the shoulder, indication not soon enough etc. Then all of a sudden a junction comes, he wants me to go left at the lights. Lights go green for left and straight on lights remain stationary, I decide I can just about squeeeeze through this…

■■■■.

I’ve missed the Range Rover but smacked the kerb, instant fail and 50 mins awkward driving left both knowing I’ve failed.

So annoyed with myself, how did I ever assume that would go well? Needless to say the other 50 mins wasn’t exactly to plan either.

Where’s that whisky??

TomA:
Nerves got to the better of me

Have you tried KALMS herbal tablets :question:

Take a deep breath and try again. I know there is an urge to rush to get the test finished but as you have found you need to slow down. Give yourself time to think and react.
No way should you be thinking “I can just about squeeze through” Stop and wait until you can safely do it.Get into the right mind set and you will be OK

ROG:

TomA:
Nerves got to the better of me

Have you tried KALMS herbal tablets :question:

On the shopping list for 3rd test on Wednesday, feeling more positive this time now it’s booked again.

Thanks all for the advice!

I really feel for you mate I hope it’s a case of third time lucky for you on wednesday.

I passed my cat C on the first try in the summer. I failed my C+E on the first try, it was a school boy error 55 mins into the 60 min drive. I positioned myself badly in a box juntion to do a right turn. My fault but I did go back later to look at the junction and most of the road markings were non exsitent through wear, had they been there it would have been a help. Re-took the test yesterday and passed. Even managed to do the reversing without a shunt lol. On yesterday’s test I went did the same right turn at that junction so I was glad I’d gone back to have a good look at it.

As for nerves there’s not much you can do, you either have them or you don’t. Don’t go any faster than you have to as this gives you a bit more thinking time. It also means that you can stop a bit quicker if needed. Try and think ahead as much as you can and look as far ahead as you can, thinking about what’s coming up. Use the mirrors all the time even when you’re driving along on the straight. Above all don’t take any unecessary risks or chances.

Anyway all the best mate and let us know how you get on.

johnleicester:
Re-took the test yesterday and passed

Cheers for the fireworks Rog, they’re much better than the cheap ones I bought at a well known budget German supermarket a couple of weeks back.

Hi Tom did you pass

I passed at the fourth attempt so keep going (I was 58 years of age),I only wanted the licence for pure pleasure driving after being wrongly told that you can use `grandfather rights to drive a tractor unit.I found that talking to the examiner during the test and explaining my actions helped.When they tell you you have passed it is a fantastic feeling,you will get there,good luck.do not give up.

Passed both first time and progressed to be top driver in every place I’ve worked since. This in no way will make you feel better but these are the facts. :sunglasses: