First job after passing class C - Tippers?

Hi all. I’ve really enjoyed reading some of the posts on here and it’s been some comfort knowing that there are many other like-minded people out there having similar experiences to me especially regarding taking their tests and the anxiety over their first steps into the HGV job market.

Like many other people on here, it seems, I am getting into this industry as a career-change and as such I am really coming into it with little-to-no knowledge about the different types of driving work, which companies are reputable etc.

All I know is that I want to drive for a living and I’m going to give it my best shot.
As the title suggests I have recently passed my class C and have been spending the last couple of weeks sending out emails, signing up on Indeed and phoning potential employers.
One of the more promising conversations I had was with the owner of a quarrying company fairly local to me. I explained that I’m a new pass and after some back and forth he said he liked what he had heard and he’d be willing to take a chance with me and put me on the tippers. Only downside being that I would have to pay for and obtain an EPIC (site safety card) for about £120.

As a side note this particular vacancy is offering £12 p.h. which is on the higher end of the class 2 agency work being offered in my area (£10.50-£12.50ph).

My initial thoughts after passing my test was that I would go and try some agency work, that should give me a nice variety of work and I could get a feel for what I liked and what I didn’t. Then once I knew a bit more about the different companies in my area I could approach them for something more permanent. Is this a reasonable plan or not?

Night work, long distance and tramping are things which appealed to me and I am lucky that I have no commitments at home to prevent me from doing that kind of work, the tipper work would involve none of that. It would however be close to home, fairly well payed and consistent work.

As I know very little about what tipping work involves, I don’t know whether I should be rushing to take this job or wait and see what else becomes available.

I’d love to hear from anyone that’s worked on tippers and whether they’d recommend it as a first job or not. Cheers for reading.

Very cheeky of him asking for 120. In my opinion not only should it be free but you should be paid to attend. At the end of the day - I’d you fancy it you are risking a days wages to get an in.

Have to say sounds like a cheapskate firm but could be spot on.

If you want to give it a spin haggle - no new pass have an epic card. And no one who hasn’t done tippers has one either… he either recruits experienced guys only or he stumps up.

I’ve not done tippers - but I’ve experienced how they drive. If you are not a natural bully then it might not be your cup of tea. I’d not want to be charging around cutting people up like a driving thug. But it’s better than doing pallet network garbage and is probably better than delivering food on class 2 as well.

My honest advice would be to get your class 1. Class 2 is really the dregs of the industry when it comes to jobs.

Do you have offer in writing saying once you have passed site safety card they will take you on? If not don’t bother getting that site safety card, waste of money. £12 ph may possibly include ALL bonus/antisocial hrs pay/night out/meal allowance so basic may be less, only you will know for sure. Where’s your location?

Me, I tend to jump in with both feet.
Depends what your finances are like atm. Get the offer in writing, txt, email, whatever. Then, if you can well afford it, get the card, go work on tippers for a while. Ask him if he’ll go halves with you on the cost.
Not many new passes get a chance to go full time on 12ph just like that.

You don’t have to drive like a ■■■■ to qualify for tippers, it’s to do with the per load bonus, drive faster = more loads= more wages
When I did a couple of weeks over in Hayes there was a shedload of em flying around and yes, they drive like idiots, doesn’t mean that YOU have to.

You might enjoy it, and if you don’t? Move on :slight_smile:

Me? I’d take it.

Im down in the south east for brett on tippers, me I love it, after all stoppages and with my bonuses on top I take 2210 home a month, no nights out, but get 2x if offering to do nights, which always gets snapped up. I tend to leave it to the others, im quite happy on days, avg 10-12 hrs a day for that. Brett will pay for my epic card sometime, but no one sasking for it , im 6 months in , good luck with your decision making.
Attendance bonus, fuel bonus, load bonus, fuel against loads is contradictory, you just have to decide what your doing depending on road types, e.g. if I get 3 dovers, its all motorway do 50mph and the bonus goes up on fuel.

sammym:
My honest advice would be to get your class 1. Class 2 is really the dregs of the industry when it comes to jobs.

This is my intention actually but having been out of work for several months I really need to get some money and experience behind me before I even begin to think of doing my class 1. Funnily enough I mentioned this to the employer, I told him I was looking to put in about 12 months on class 2 before training up on class 1 and he wasn’t happy hearing that. Says he gets people leaving him all the time to go onto class 1 and he’d want me for “at least 2 years” if I was going to work for him. I laughed it off but it was a red flag for me.

wolves:
Do you have offer in writing saying once you have passed site safety card they will take you on? If not don’t bother getting that site safety card, waste of money. £12 ph may possibly include ALL bonus/antisocial hrs pay/night out/meal allowance so basic may be less, only you will know for sure. Where’s your location?

I don’t have the offer in writing, the phone call is the only communication I’ve had with him but he has invited me to the site for a meet and greet and to see the site in action. There was no mention of bonuses but he did mention the occasional night job which which would be double time. I’m based near Shrewsbury, West Mids.

steviespain:
Depends what your finances are like atm. Get the offer in writing, txt, email, whatever. Then, if you can well afford it, get the card, go work on tippers for a while. Ask him if he’ll go halves with you on the cost.
Not many new passes get a chance to go full time on 12ph just like that.
You might enjoy it, and if you don’t? Move on :slight_smile:
Me? I’d take it.

Finances are bad quite honestly, big hole in the balance from the class 2 licence and I’m not currently working. I could stump up the money for the epic but not until I’m sure this is what I want to do. 12ph is certainly attractive as a newbie and I am the kind of person who generally jumps in at the deep end and figures the rest out later. As mentioned above the employer seems quite adamant that I stick with him for “at least two years”, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be legally obliged to stay but it’s still something to bear in mind. I appreciate the feedback, thanks.

dave_890:
Im down in the south east for brett on tippers, me I love it, after all stoppages and with my bonuses on top I take 2210 home a month, no nights out, but get 2x if offering to do nights, which always gets snapped up. I tend to leave it to the others, im quite happy on days, avg 10-12 hrs a day for that. Brett will pay for my epic card sometime, but no one sasking for it , im 6 months in , good luck with your decision making.

Sounds like you’re making a good living and enjoying it too, fair play. Thanks for commenting.

Alright well thanks everyone for the comments and I can’t see anybody screaming “NO, don’t do it!!” so I think I might chase this one up. Everyone’s gotta start somewhere and this seems as good an opportunity as any, maybe I’ll update this thread later if and when it goes ahead. Cheers. :slight_smile:

Yes come and join the elite on the tippers. Once you’ve cut your teeth on the rigids you can step up to the artics and be a real king of the road like myself.
EPIC/MPQC card is a must have for quarry work and paying for it yourself to get a foot in the door is not uncommon and is not the end of the world. You get 7 CPC hours from it which obviously you will need to acquire anyway, it’s valid for 5 years and it’s yours so you can use it at any company you choose to work for. The course is easy and being new you may find it more interesting as you will learn.
Night work is common on tippers so you’ll probably find you will get to have try at it. Most roadwork is carried out at night.

Be weary of doing agency work and then trying to get a job at one of the companies you get assigned to. Companies and agencies have agreements / contracts that stipulate if companies take on agency drivers there are financial penalties or finders fees to pay. Some will pay them some will not.

i was on tippers for 25 years,working out of Mountsorrel and Croft/Bardon quarries, 8 wheelers and artic work. enjoyed it mostly,a great crack with most of the drivers,nearly all of us on the CB as well.a lot of it was on a low-ish basic pay,and percentage of the lorry earnings.if it is £12ph,be aware that in the winter weather,there’s always the danger of short hours.if you are sent home with no work available…you will not be earning!
…and yes…we did thrash about a lot! :astonished: :laughing: