Time for a change!

Hi, I’ve just joined up and am in the process of getting my
Cat C licence. I will quickly move on to C+E.

So far I’ve got my provisional, and did my assessment drive on Friday morning.
5 days of training to book tomorrow.
On Saturday I passed the theory and hazard perception test back to back which was good!
I’m not taking it for granted, but have been in a unique position that I’ve been driving and shunting rigids and artics at work I’m a tight yard including docks for around 18 years.
I’ve now got bored of loading them, so decided to drive them instead!

All the best with your training and test. Any questions, fire away!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks, I will be doing lots of reading :slight_smile:

As an ex shunter you should find it a lot easier as your already used to the size of the vehicle and how they turn.

I found shunting in our yard for a year or so helped immensely going out on the road was a doddle really mostly, albeit nerves as you would expect on the first day and test day.

Yes you will probably make some stupid mistakes along the way on training but best to get them out of the way before your test.

I honestly believe I was much more prepared to go out on the road bu shunting first in a yard.

I think all drivers should do a stint of shunting first before taking lessons where possible.

I totally agree, 19 years of shunting 7.5t, rigids including 6 wheelers and artics in sometimes very very tight spaces has given me a lot of experience and familiarity with everything.
Plus all aspects of the trailers too such as curtains, roof supports etc.
I’m more concerned about getting my head around all the drivers hours than the practical stuff!
We don’t have many manual boxes in the yard these days, but thankfully I knew my way around split ones years ago.
As above though, I’m not taking anything for granted or being blasé as I know it’s a lot different on the road than in a yard.

Stussy:
I totally agree, 19 years of shunting 7.5t, rigids including 6 wheelers and artics in sometimes very very tight spaces has given me a lot of experience and familiarity with everything.
Plus all aspects of the trailers too such as curtains, roof supports etc.
I’m more concerned about getting my head around all the drivers hours than the practical stuff!
We don’t have many manual boxes in the yard these days, but thankfully I knew my way around split ones years ago.
As above though, I’m not taking anything for granted or being blasé as I know it’s a lot different on the road than in a yard.

It’s no more different on the road than driving anything when all said and done. If you can drive a car you can drive a larger vehicle. You already know how to drive.

You also know the size of the vehicles and how trailers turn and as you said curtains and other aspects that a fresh newbie would have no experience of.

Yes it will still be a learning curve but I think you will find it easier, it’s not being blasé or big headed to have some confidence in your abilities just be aware of being over confident.

I agree, what you said about being over confident is a better choice of words and is what I was trying to say. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad of having a lot of experience, I’m just not taking it for granted.

I now have my training booked for the week starting 5th November, and can hopefully get my module 2 booked soon too.

Just to update, I had my training this week, and passed my test yesterday!
I used Powerdriver in Northamptonshire as they are local to me, plus I knew the trainers many years ago when they used to share the yard where I work. Highly recommended, it was a very enjoyable week with a steep but comfortable learning curve.
Module 2 is booked for 27th November, and just 4 to sort after that :slight_smile:

Stussy:
passed my test yesterday

:smiley: :smiley:

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Module 2 passed today, now to book module 4 tomorrow.

well done mate , on a similar journey myself . I have module 4 to do and the practical test

all booked in for the 2nd week of December !

:smiley:

It’s a nice milestone to get the practical out the way!
Hopefully I can get a booking for mod 4 in the next week or two, then get my
Licence updated and I’m done
Then will book C+E for January :slight_smile:

Passed module 4 today with 100%.
I originally wanted to have C passed before the end of the year and all of the CPC stuff, so that is my goal achieved! Very pleased with passing all 5 parts first time.
I will be booking C+E for early February :slight_smile:

CE just passed with one minor, job done!!!

Rather proud with myself, all 6 tests/theories all passed first time :grimacing:

Cheers!
Once again I kept with Powerdriver, anyone in Northamptonshire looking for a place to do training I simply cannot recommend them enough :smiley:

Now have a full time job to start, ex farm milk collection around Cornwall and Devon.
I can’t wait to get started, and really looking to the challenges it brings, such as limited access and non baffled tankers!