Advice on which job to apply for

Hey all,

Looking for something new as current agency have only been able to offer me two days work last week and two so far this week.

Found three that look promising…

1. Leading family-run bakery. £30-35k (claims drivers are making £600-800 a week)

2. Wholesale distribution company in the Aston area of Birmingham. 6-12 drops per day working with a drivers mate. Start times vary daily but are in the main 06.30 and the pay grade for these roles are £12.50-£14 per hour dependent upon experience.

3. We have clients in the Walsall area that are offering Multi drop, General Haulage, Trunking Days and Nights Work.

We pay up to £13 per hour with agreeable higher wage for nights and weekend work.

My thoughts…

1. Salary sounds good, but what would working for a bakery entail?

2. Like the idea of working with a mate - some company and somebody to spot me during tight manouvres etc. But does a driver’s mate indicate lots of handball and corner shops with difficult access? I normally think of wholesale as big depots with forklifts. Salary also at least £12.50p/h which is good.

3. I really liked general haulage when I did it and much preferred to multi drop, but ‘up to £13’ is a bit ambiguous (are the higher night rates above this figure or does one have to work nights to get £13 and days are much lower?).

EDIT: Just called no.3 and they answered as Brakes! Apparently possibility of it being out of Tamworth which is a fair bit further for me. Not too keen from what I’ve heard about Brakes on here either!

Go for number 3 and see the country , the other 2 will be hard work and number 1 will be silly o’clock working

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just called first one and it’s bloody Brakes too! :laughing:

Tailschwing:
Just called first one and it’s bloody Brakes too! :laughing:

And will only be up to and just past Christmas [emoji6]

blue estate:
Go for number 3 and see the country , the other 2 will be hard work and number 1 will be silly o’clock working

That one did sound the most promising but its also Brakes - wondering whether the general haulage is their class 1.

Second one is Matthew Clark. It’ll be delivering booze etc. Lots of handball but with a driver’s mate. I don’t mind a bit of graft tbh. Been doing some work for the Yearsley Group lately and quite enjoyed it. The routes are well enough planned that I’m not rushing to meet my ETAs and none of the lifting is very heavy - just plonk onto sack truck and pull it (much better than some of the ton pallets I’ve struggled with using a manual pump truck in the past).

PM sent.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Bet you a billion dollars that 6-12 drops is actually 12-30 drops and remember if you are both drivers you can work 21 hours a day :laughing:

Number one will be delivering bread to shops so expect early starts,by early I mean 12/1/2am type early…

Apparently the mate is there to help with the handball and the paperwork etc, so not driving. I’d imagine though that some of the drops will be tight. It’s whether having somebody to spot me during tight manoeuvres will offset this.